Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2019, 04:19 PM   #1

XPro-p and K5 miss firing.

Hi All - I have the XPro-P trigger which i'm using on a K5, with either an AD200 or the TT600's .

I'm having issues with it it triggering the flashes. It fires a couple of times when i put on the camera then stops or fires randomly. Flashes will trigger fine with test button. I also have an XPro-O for an EM1 and it seems to work fine.

I'm thinking the issue maybe pin related but not sure how to test any more to make sure it is. I've taken if off and on a number of times, ensured the lock screw is tight.

I know the K5 isn't in the compatible model list, but I think that is more of that i was not a current model when teh trigger was released.

Anyone else having problems or have any suggestion.

thanks Mark

06-15-2019, 02:25 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Hello.

I have the XProP, K5 and AD200. I don't have any issues with the trigger except I need to compensate -1EV in TTL, but this is the same compensation I use with other flashes with my K5. I have also an XProC that works without issues on the K5 and some other Godox triggers.

I had a issue months ago with one of my flashes and my K5, the flash fired randomly, sometimes at full power, sometimes not... my solution was just to clean the contacts on my k5 & flash, and the issue was solved. I'd try to clean the contacts first.

Other test you can do is to disable all the XPro pins but the central pin with some tape, and see if there is some change. If after cleaning contacts you still have the same issue, I'd return your XPro, you should not have any kind of issues on the K5. Even my old K10D works with the XproP.

Regards,
Javier.
06-15-2019, 11:58 AM   #3
Pentaxian

My XPro-P works fine with my K-1 and I've briefly tested it with my K-5 II as well. I didn't encounter any issues but perhaps I didn't test long enough?

However, my best bet is that the XPro-P is compatible with both K-5 and K-5 II and that you are experiencing another issue.
Have you tried updating all devices to the latest firmware version?
For instance, your AD200 should be running V2.2 in order to be compatible with the XPro-P.
06-15-2019, 03:08 PM   #4

Original Poster
thanks morenjavi and Class A. I have cleaned the pins and hotshoe again. All firmware is the current versions. Initially when I got the XPro it worked seemed to work fine. I would experience an occasional misfire. Did some more reading and testing this morning. Changed the channel, changed batteries in the trigger, changed the distance (as per Godox site) but still no luck with consistent firing. What I have found though, if I turn the trigger off and on again after each firing it works fine. This to me would indicate some sort of electronic fault ??

06-16-2019, 08:00 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Do you perhaps have a non-standard flash mode like "red eye reduction" turned on, on the K-5?
06-17-2019, 12:20 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Do you perhaps have a non-standard flash mode like "red eye reduction" turned on, on the K-5?
Not sure that is possible if the flash is in wireless mode !!
06-17-2019, 01:34 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Hello!

As I had some free time this morning (morning... here in this part of the globe) I cheched the K5 flash modes, that is, red eye and second curtain. I noticed no difference about how the AD200 performs, that is, is seems to just ignore such modes. So regardless you put normal, red eye or second curtain, it just emit the same pre-flash and I get pics with the same exposure.

By the way, I don't use a lot the K5-AD200 with PTTL, but it seems that I need less negative compensation for the AD200 than I told on my first post here, maybe -0.5 -0.7 is enough. I need -1EV or more with my on camera flash.

Regards.

06-17-2019, 02:32 AM   #8

Original Poster
Hi Javier. thanks for your assistance. As it happens, I have just been playing with it again to check on what Class A mentioned. Thought flash setting on the camera would need to be in Wireless mode, seems it doesn't as you discovered. Perhaps the Wireless only effects use of the popup as a trigger for a dedicated Pentax flash (as mentioned in the manual)

What I did discover is that the flash will trigger shot after shot in TTL mode on the AD200 but not in manual mode. To do that in manual I need to turn the trigger off and back on again. I wonder if there is something happening with the TCM button (not sure what that is all about really) Ill have to look after later.
06-17-2019, 03:18 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by markl62 Quote
Hi Javier. thanks for your assistance. As it happens, I have just been playing with it again to check on what Class A mentioned. Thought flash setting on the camera would need to be in Wireless mode, seems it doesn't as you discovered. Perhaps the Wireless only effects use of the popup as a trigger for a dedicated Pentax flash (as mentioned in the manual)
Hello, are you setting the camera's flash mode in 'wireless'? You don't need to do that, just set it in normal mode, as if you had a normal flash on your camera's hot shoe. Anyway, I tested this mode and it seems to ignore it too, AD200 works normally, so no matter what flash mode you choose. Wireless mode is for optically trigger another Pentax flash using your K5 popup flash.

What I did discover is that the flash will trigger shot after shot in TTL mode on the AD200 but not in manual mode. To do that in manual I need to turn the trigger off and back on again. I wonder if there is something happening with the TCM button (not sure what that is all about really) Ill have to look after later.
You should change from TTL to M without issue just, pushing the MODE button on the XPro, changes are reflected immediately on the AD200. I have no issues related to change modes, AD200 changes from TTL to M to OFF without problem, no need to set the trigger ON and OFF.

Regards.
06-17-2019, 04:57 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by morenjavi Quote

You should change from TTL to M without issue just, pushing the MODE button on the XPro, changes are reflected immediately on the AD200. I have no issues related to change modes, AD200 changes from TTL to M to OFF without problem, no need to set the trigger ON and OFF.

Regards.
What I mean is that to get the flash to fire again after one shot, in manual mode, I have to turn trigger off and on for it to fire again. However in TTL mode it is operating normally. All other operations - changing modes, output levels etc work fine.

Seems it is just not working correctly in manual mode.
06-17-2019, 08:06 AM   #11
Pentaxian

What I mean is that to get the flash to fire again after one shot, in manual mode, I have to turn trigger off and on for it to fire again. However in TTL mode it is operating normally. All other operations - changing modes, output levels etc work fine.Seems it is just not working correctly in manual mode.
Ah, ok, I understand now, thanks. But this is worse than I thought, your trigger should fire in manual mode hundreds of times without problem. Something is wrong. Try to put some tape or similar to disable all the pins but the central pin, to see if it fixes this issue, but my opinion is that your trigger is defective.

Regards.

Last edited by morenjavi; 06-17-2019 at 08:15 AM.
06-20-2019, 05:04 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Hi All - I have the XPro-P trigger which i'm using on a K5, with either an AD200 or the TT600's .

I'm having issues with it it triggering the flashes. It fires a couple of times when i put on the camera then stops or fires randomly. Flashes will trigger fine with test button. I also have an XPro-O for an EM1 and it seems to work fine.

I'm thinking the issue maybe pin related but not sure how to test any more to make sure it is. I've taken if off and on a number of times, ensured the lock screw is tight.

I know the K5 isn't in the compatible model list, but I think that is more of that i was not a current model when teh trigger was released.

Anyone else having problems or have any suggestion.

thanks Mark
From Godox web page!

"The Reason & Solution of Not Triggering in Godox 2.4G Wireless

1.Disturbed by the 2.4G signal in outer environment (e.g. wireless base station, 2.4G wifi router, Bluetooth, etc.)
To adjust the channel CH setting on the flash trigger (add 10+ channels) and use the channel which is not disturbed. Or turn off the other 2.4G equipment in working.
2. Please make sure that whether the flash has finished its recycle or caught up with the continuous shooting speed or not(the flash ready indicator is lighten) and the flash is not under the state of over-heat protection or other abnormal situation.
Please downgrade the flash power output. If the flash is in TTL mode, please try to change it to M mode(a preflash is needed in TTL mode).
3. Whether the distance between the flash trigger and the flash is too close or not
Please turn on the “close distance wireless mode” on the flash trigger:
X1 series: press the test button and hold on, then turning it on until the flash ready indicator blinks for 2 times.
XPro series: Set the C.Fn-DIST to 0-30m.
4. Whether the flash trigger and the receiver end equipment are in the low battery states or not
Please replace the battery(the flash trigger is recommended to use 1.5V disposable alkaline battery).

Link: GODOX PHOTO EQUIPMENT CO.,LTD Q & A
07-14-2019, 02:56 PM   #13

Original Poster
An update to this matter.
Recap to the issue. When using the Xpro-P on the K5 with either AD200 or TT600's. If in TTL mode on the AD200, the flash will fire shot after shot. If I'm using manual mode, it fires once and not again. I need to turn the trigger off and on again and it will fire.

Over the weekend, I was able to test the trigger on another Pentax body, a K1 when out shooting sunrise, and and all worked as it should have. At the same time of testing, put it again on the K5 and same issue when in manual mode, however all other control functions work as they should. To me this ruled out a trigger issue and back to my original thought, that it was the camera and perhaps a pin issue !!

Got home a pulled out a TT600, strangely it fired maybe 6 times in succession in manual mode before stopping and having to go back to having to turn off and on again for it to fire. Got out the Cactus V6ii and put that on to use as pass through with the Xpro on top and everything worked fine. So now I'm stumped as to what the issue maybe. Thinking perhaps a bad solder joint, something on the circuit (i don't understand resistor, capacitors etc). The unit in still in warranty but would be hard to tell supplier its a trigger issue.

Anyone have any thoughts on what I can test. I have a multi meter, but other then testing voltage, not sure on anything else. Or has anyone pulled the Xpro apart , was thinking of heating the circuit board in slowly to see if that fixes any bad joints. Or do I just suck it up and use with the V6ii
07-15-2019, 09:33 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

Got out the Cactus V6ii and put that on to use as pass through with the Xpro on top and everything worked fine.
This is progress but still leaves two possibilities:
  1. Hardware issue: Somehow the V6II manages to make contact to both XPro-P and K-5 while the latter two cannot create the same contact.
  2. Software (protocol) issue: The V6II does not have a hardware-based TTL pass-through. It is hence possible that something in the V6II translation (i.e., its attempt to pass-through the signals as faithfully as possible) helps address a protocol incompatibility.
A regular multi-meter probably won't be very useful regarding troubleshooting contact issues because the contacts are hard to reach and some of them carry digital signals which may not register well as a stable voltage.

You could try a P-TTL cable between the K-5 and the XPro-P to see whether it addresses mechanical contact issues. If it does then you know that the V6II helped mechanically, rather than through some level of translation.

I have a K-5 II that I could try with the XPro-P sometime, but it is possible that it runs a slightly different P-TTL protocol compared to the K-5 so if everything works for me, it wouldn't be a conclusive result. If I see the same issue, it would strongly point to a K-5 (II) incompatibility with the XPro-P.
07-15-2019, 12:33 PM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

Hello,

I agree with Class A comments, but I'd discard software/PTTL incompatibility between K5 and XProP; that is, I have a K5 and I have no issues with my XProP (I have tested again some minutes ago) regardless if I use it in TTL or M mode. I think there is another easy test you can do: just disable all the pins but the central pin using some tape or just a piece of paper. This way you isolate (in my opinion) any issue related with electrical contacts, incorrect voltages... I don't know (I'm not expert in electricity/electronics), you just let the central pin, it's more difficult to get issues with just the central pin.

If it works, then you could use the same flash shoe adapter shown in this thread, when using the XProP in M mode, Xpro-P TTL Wireless Flash Trigger for Pentax - Page 15 - PentaxForums.com
Of course a PTTL cable can be another option, but maybe a small shoe adapter is easier to handle. Using the V6II seems to resolve the problem, as you tested yet.

It's really difficult to prove if the problem is the XproP or the K5, you'd need another K5 or XProP to compare. The test with the K1 seems to point to a camera issue, but I'd discard a general K5 issue, just your unit seems to have the problem.

Regards.