Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2019, 08:31 PM   #1

Wireless Trigger Pentax K-r & Yongnuo YN585EX

I have a Pentax K-r and Yongnuo YN585EX. My K-r is able to wirelessly trigger the YN585EX in P-TTL SP slave mode when the K-r pop-up flash is set to "control flash", but not when the K-r pop-up flash is set to "master" (default) setting. Is this something that should be possible with this camera and flash?

Last edited by superdelsol; 08-02-2019 at 04:49 PM.
06-19-2019, 12:36 AM   #2
Pentaxian

The on camera wireless flash mode should not be a factor here.... In theory both master and control modes should work OK to trigger the slave flash.
06-19-2019, 07:09 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
The on camera wireless flash mode should not be a factor here.... In theory both master and control modes should work OK to trigger the slave flash.
That's what I thought, but that's not the case for me. Everything on the flash works with my camera except SP slave P-TTL mode when triggered by the pop-up flash set to "master". The manual trigger works in S1 and S2 modes with both "master" and "control flash" camera settings. I read everything I could find on this model flash before posting my question here, but didn't find any reports of issues similar to mine. Thank you for responding, and thank you for writing such an excellent reference guide for the Pentax flash lighting system.
06-27-2019, 08:13 PM   #4

Original Poster
I purchased another two YN585EX flashguns to complete my basic home studio, and all 3 flashguns work in P-TTL SP slave mode when the K-r pop-up flash is set to "control flash" (option 2), but not when the K-r pop-up flash is set to "master" (option 1, default). Unless there is something wrong with my K-r, this seems to be the expected functionality between this camera model and the YN585EX flash.

07-27-2019, 11:19 PM   #5

Original Poster
I purchased a second Pentax K-r body, and can confirm that the camera pop-up flash will wirelessly trigger the Yongnuo YN585EX in P-TTL SP slave mode when the K-r is set to "control", but not when the K-r is set to "master". This must be the expected functionality between this camera model and the YN585EX flash, and possibly with other similar camera bodies such as the K-x.
07-31-2019, 03:15 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by superdelsol Quote
I purchased a second Pentax K-r body, and can confirm that the camera pop-up flash will wirelessly trigger the Yongnuo YN585EX in P-TTL SP slave mode when the K-r is set to "control", but not when the K-r is set to "master". This must be the expected functionality between this camera model and the YN585EX flash, and possibly with other similar camera bodies such as the K-x.
Is the flash firing at all or nothing happens? Is there a setting on the Yongnuo to fire during or ignore preflash? S1 or S2? Do those modes exist and if so, can you fire it TTL using those modes?
I don't have a 585EX but I have had to play with some flashes until I found the right combo that would work (by ignoring the preflash).
07-31-2019, 07:44 PM   #7

Original Poster
The pop-up flash on the camera fires, but the YN585EX doesn't trigger when the K-r is set for "master" and the YN585EX is set for P-TTL SP. The YN585EX will trigger when set for manual flash in S1 and S2 modes. I'm okay being able to trigger the YN585EX using "control", I just won't be able to use the pop-up flash for fill flash when in P-TTL mode. The YN585EX is able to receive the "wireless" flash communications transmitted by the camera to support off-camera P-TTL flash mode.
07-31-2019, 07:48 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The pop-up flash on the camera fires, but the YN585EX doesn't trigger when the K-r is set for "master" and the YN585EX is set for P-TTL SP. The YN585EX will trigger when set for manual flash in S1 and S2 modes. I'm okay being able to trigger the YN585EX using "control", I just won't be able to use the pop-up flash for fill flash when in P-TTL mode. The YN585EX is able to receive the "wireless" flash communications transmitted by the camera to support off-camera P-TTL flash mode.
I recall reading about a firmware update for the flash a while ago. Just throwing that possibility out there. Or it could also be likely that Pentax changed something with the newer cameras which the 585 is based on regarding the optical communication. Fill flash would be nice though.

08-01-2019, 07:19 PM   #9

Original Poster
Both the camera and flash have the latest firmware. It's just odd that one flash mode triggers the YN585EX, while the other doesn't. I would think that the "control" flash is just a lower power version of the "master" flash.

Last edited by superdelsol; 08-01-2019 at 11:05 PM.
08-03-2019, 09:33 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I would think that the "control" flash is just a lower power version of the "master" flash.
I think what is supposed to happen is that the on board unit flashes:

once: to send a signal to the off board unit to fire a pre flash
twice: to send a signal to the off board unit to tell it how much power to output for the main flash
thrice: as part of the calculated flash output if the set up is in Master mode.

In Controller mode the third flash from the on board unit should not take place at all.

Why this is not working for you I have no idea, but I suspect it is compatibility. Can you go to a friendly Pentax retailer and try out a Pentax flash, if only to satisfy your curiosity.