Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 45 Likes Search this Thread
10-01-2019, 09:28 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
While I have my elichrome quadra system and I feel that it is little too big, it is nice to be alle to load it while using it.

That said, I’ll be looking at getting couple of those AD200 for more portable system. With no cords. Or AD400 so that I could use my modifiers what I have...then again. If I carry big rotalux, I might aswell bring elichrome...

10-02-2019, 11:31 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
I will be picking up the ADB2 bracket
You know ? I have the AD-B2, feel free to ask .
10-02-2019, 03:54 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by morenjavi Quote
You know ? I have the AD-B2, feel free to ask .
Haha, well... I think shipping and what not would negate, besides I think the deal I'm getting for 2xAD200Pros includes one for free pretty much
10-02-2019, 04:23 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've decided to start off with 2x AD200Pros, mainly because I cannot afford anything else. I also need AD200 for more running and gunning events like family shoots and weddings (where the AD400's are too cumbersome).

I have yet to decide on an actual lighting diagram and layout. I will be picking up the ADB2 bracket that will hold two AD200's, either I get faster recycling times with that combo or more power if needed, and I also have two RF60x units as well that may also share a modifier. If I can get away with a 2 light setup (such as one umbrella/softbox with 2xad200's and 1 key light or rim light with 2xRF60x units), then I may get away with it (and perhaps clever use of reflector for fill etc). That way I can shoot and not fear overheating so much etc.

For group/class work I will of course separate the two AD200's and use the RF60x's as well, but in this case I do not think spamming will be in the same league, a few shots of a single class and then longer breaks as they leave and a new class comes in etc.

If money was no object then yeah I think AD400 or 600's would be wise.
Bruce, before making the purchase note that Westcott will be shipping their own Godox-competing version, the FJ400 but at a significantly lower price than the AD400. You might check them out. Looks like they may be sourcing them from a certain budget Chinese alternative to Godox but with a better build and warranty.

Don't be so quick to entirely dismiss constant lighting altogether either. A 50W-equivalent or better (I'd go 100W adjustable power myself) constant LED with gels or gobos gives you a another fun option in a seniors school photo.

10-03-2019, 04:25 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Bruce, before making the purchase note that Westcott will be shipping their own Godox-competing version, the FJ400 but at a significantly lower price than the AD400.
The respective trigger is a multi-brand trigger but does not support Pentax.

It would only support triggering up to the sync-speed, which is less than ideal for an on-location strobe like the FJ400.

A Westcott employee has indicated future Pentax support might be possible, but hasn't promised anything.

It looks like the trigger hardware is already capable of Pentax support.

Looks like they may be sourcing them from a certain budget Chinese alternative to Godox but with a better build and warranty.
The FJ400 is a clone of the Jinbei HD400 Pro.

Westcott claim they had input into refining the HD400 into the FJ400/HD400 Pro. Quality control might be better and service should definitely be better than using the Jinbei alternative.
10-03-2019, 04:35 AM - 1 Like   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
The respective trigger is a multi-brand trigger but does not support Pentax.

It would only support triggering up to the sync-speed, which is less than ideal for an on-location strobe like the FJ400.

A Westcott employee has indicated future Pentax support might be possible, but hasn't promised anything.

It looks like the trigger hardware is already capable of Pentax support.

The FJ400 is a clone of the Jinbei HD400 Pro.

Westcott claim they had input into refining the HD400 into the FJ400/HD400 Pro. Quality control might be better and service should definitely be better than using the Jinbei alternative.
I knew who was making these for Westcott. I did NOT know they had no support (yet? never?) for Pentax cameras. So not so universal after all. Thanks for that.
10-03-2019, 04:48 AM   #22
Pentaxian

did NOT know they had no support (yet? never?) for Pentax cameras.
To the best of my knowledge, Jinbei never offered dedicated Pentax support.

So not so universal after all.
They write they support "virtually every camera brand"; the exceptions are Sigma and Pentax (and Sony needs an adapter). Not counting Leica, Hasselblad, Phase One here...

Of course, in the studio, any trigger, including that for the FJ400, will support shooting up to the sync-speed. So in that sense, it is "universal" (like every other ISO-hotshoe compatible trigger). However, for a battery-powered strobe to not offer HSS for a particular brand, makes it less attractive for users of that brand. Many people will also count lack of TTL support as a negative.

10-03-2019, 01:57 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
To the best of my knowledge, Jinbei never offered dedicated Pentax support.

They write they support "virtually every camera brand"; the exceptions are Sigma and Pentax (and Sony needs an adapter). Not counting Leica, Hasselblad, Phase One here...

Of course, in the studio, any trigger, including that for the FJ400, will support shooting up to the sync-speed. So in that sense, it is "universal" (like every other ISO-hotshoe compatible trigger). However, for a battery-powered strobe to not offer HSS for a particular brand, makes it less attractive for users of that brand. Many people will also count lack of TTL support as a negative.
The new Godox XT2 trigger also has a hotshoe on top, actually useful. I use mine all the time when I have my V6ii on my camera, I have a place for my vello remote to dock onto for example when I do studio/product photography and stuff like selfies. Actually an underrated feature, one of those things you don't think about till after the purchase, so I will likely choose that trigger over a Xpro-P just for that simple feature.
10-05-2019, 03:21 AM   #24
Pentaxian

The new Godox XT2 trigger also has a hotshoe on top, actually useful. I use mine all the time when I have my V6ii on my camera, I have a place for my vello remote to dock onto for example when I do studio/product photography and stuff like selfies. Actually an underrated feature, one of those things you don't think about till after the purchase, so I will likely choose that trigger over a Xpro-P just for that simple feature.
This hotshoe, and the X2T DELAY setting, are so usefull, that I'm going to sell my Cactus triggers, that I was only using to experiment with sync delay settings, power sync, exceed sync and so.
NOTE: the X2T doesn't support correctly legacy Godox flashes at present, but I'll keep it with me because the above points.
10-05-2019, 04:26 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
This hotshoe, and the X2T DELAY setting, are so usefull, that I'm going to sell my Cactus triggers, that I was only using to experiment with sync delay settings, power sync, exceed sync and so.
NOTE: the X2T doesn't support correctly legacy Godox flashes at present, but I'll keep it with me because the above points.
I've played with Powersync on the V6ii+RF60x, kinda neat, however for real portrait work it can be a mixed bag result. I've went to the hassle of testing the powersync feature on a bare wall and try and dial in a number value that really gives me the best compromise and least banding, but in reality when working with the subjects you can risk things like tops of their heads being drastically differently exposed. I have however found it quite useful for other 'non animated' subjects where I require a large dumping of flash power on a bright day. It's certainly a nice feature to have.

I also learned that the K-1 cannot do rear curtain sync natively, kinda shocked at that, dunno what that is about and why they cannot fix that with a firmware update. If the KP can do it... why not the K-1? So I too have used the delay feature of the V6ii to get around that issue, but it's more fiddly and time consuming compared to actually just being able to select it in a menu :/ I guess Pentax feels that offering rear curtain sync on the AF360/540FGZII is enough... lol

So having said that, does the Xpro-P or X2T support Rear Curtain Sync as a mode/option on the trigger? If not I guess it's delay then as you mention? Is it (in your opinion) easier to navigate and set those delays in the menu system of the triggers?

The last hurdle for me is it will be a slow transition to Godox. I will likely order 2xAD200pro and 1x XT2 trigger this week, but I will be keeping the RF60x and V6ii for additional studio lighting assistance till I can afford either a AD400pro or some V1's. I'm now wondering if the XT2 can help get around some triggering hurdles with the V6ii on top to get the RF60x's to fire somehow differently compared to using a Xpro-P which has no hotshoe...
10-06-2019, 02:56 AM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

but in reality when working with the subjects you can risk things like tops of their heads being drastically differently exposed.
Yes, but just to be clear, that's the nature of HyperSync/PowerSnc/...Sync in general.

If one has the funds, it's way easier to add flashes and use HSS, instead of messing about with HyperSync.

I also learned that the K-1 cannot do rear-curtain sync natively, ...
This has always been a flash-feature in the Pentax system. In other words, the K-1 "operates as designed'.

EDIT: However, if the Godox triggers actually support rear-curtain sync on Pentax cameras that support the respective configuration (see below), it could be that the K-1 is unnecessarily handicapped indeed...

What makes you think the KP is different? Perhaps you are right, I just never heard of the KP doing anything differently in that regard.
Note that just because the KP -- as other cameras -- offer a rear-curtain sync option, doesn't mean that an attached flash will operate in rear-curtain sync mode. The flash has to support the feature natively, unfortunately.

So having said that, does the Xpro-P or X2T support Rear Curtain Sync as a mode/option on the trigger?
I don't think so, but I could be wrong.

At least, there is no configuration option for rear-curtain sync on the triggers. Both are advertised as being able to support rear-curtain sync, but no option becomes available on the K-1, when the trigger is mounted, so I wouldn't know how to activate rear-curtain sync. Maybe it would work on a camera that always gives one the rear-curtain sync option, no matter whether the flash offers to support it? Let me know if you want me to try it.

If not I guess it's delay then as you mention?
On the Godox triggers, the delay range is not big enough to implement a poor man's rear-curtain sync.
The Godox delay is just meant for adjusting the HyperSync sychnronisation.

I'm now wondering if the XT2 can help get around some triggering hurdles with the V6ii on top to get the RF60x's to fire...
Which hurdles are you referring to?

Note that the X2T-P only has a single pin hot-shoe. A mounted Cactus V6II would not be able to operate in HSS mode.
I haven't done any tests yet regarding the timing of the X2T-P hot-shoe triggering. It could support work around techniques, if you want to use your RF60x's in manual HSS mode.

Last edited by Class A; 10-06-2019 at 03:18 AM.
10-06-2019, 04:35 AM - 1 Like   #27
Pentaxian

In contrast to the Godox XPro manual, the Flashpoint R2 Pro MarkII manual, explicitly mentions "second-curtain sync" (on page 19).

Mine is still on backorder so I cannot experiment yet.
10-06-2019, 04:37 AM - 1 Like   #28
Pentaxian

So having said that, does the Xpro-P or X2T support Rear Curtain Sync as a mode/option on the trigger? If not I guess it's delay then as you mention? Is it (in your opinion) easier to navigate and set those delays in the menu system of the triggers?
The X2T doesn't suppor rear curtain, just front. The same is for the Xpro-P. The delay I'm taliking about have a range from 0 to 9.9ms, it's just too short to implement a second curtain, this setting is just to play with high speed sync.
But, you have a setting on the AD200, that is more adequate for this task, you can configure the F4 setting, this is a delay setting in the range 0,01-30 sec. Not too comfortable (you have to set in on the flash), but yo can get a second curtain sync with it.
I have tested this setting with the XPro-P and X2T and it works (I tried 1,5s of delay), but only in M mode (so no TTL + second curtain sync).

The last hurdle for me is it will be a slow transition to Godox. I will likely order 2xAD200pro and 1x XT2 trigger this week, but I will be keeping the RF60x and V6ii for additional studio lighting assistance till I can afford either a AD400pro or some V1's. I'm now wondering if the XT2 can help get around some triggering hurdles with the V6ii on top to get the RF60x's to fire somehow differently compared to using a Xpro-P which has no hotshoe...
I have made a quick test putting a Cactus V6II on top of the X2T and it seems to fire (Cactus green led blinks), just remember the X2T's shoe is single pin, so you could use your RF60x's, but only in M mode. It's just a gessing, I don't have any RF60 to test, but it makes sense to me.
10-06-2019, 08:34 AM - 1 Like   #29
Pentaxian

The X2T doesn't suppor rear curtain, just front. The same is for the Xpro-P.
I thought the same but you'll note that in all spec sheets, there is a claim that rear-curtain sync is supported.

Perhaps they just copied the description from other variants of the same trigger. The Canon version, for instance, does indeed support rear-curtain sync.

But, you have a setting on the AD200, that is more adequate for this task, ...
Yeah, but having to change this on an off-camera unit makes it way less practical than it should be.

In particular, because the delay is of course depended on the shutter speed. Change the latter and its off to making a tour through all the off-camera lights you are using.

...so you could use your RF60x's, but only in M mode.
The RF60x is a single-pin flash anyhow, so any on-camera use would imply M mode anyhow (except when you use a V6II in between and isolate the hot-shoe contacts in order to avoid interference with the radio triggering).

However, you are correct in pointing out that when mounting the V6II on the X2T, any off-camera RF60x would have to be run in "M" mode (with remote power control and probably the option to use manual HSS, though).

To combine Godox and Cactus lights, it might be more promising to put the X2T on top of the V6II. Selecting one of the available flash profiles on the V6II might do the trick of letting the X2T operate as if it were mounted on the camera (haven't tried this yet as I haven't had a need to mix lights).
10-06-2019, 09:29 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If one is using delay, why would there be need for TTL? P-TTL is just for making it more easy? I also noticed from my new AF360FGZII that it has rearcurtain sync. Handy. Haven’t even thought about that before. NOR used. (Still haven’t used it but perhaps will..)

Those questions are here, because I actually don’t know. What I have noticed is that with HSS in little brighter daylight with 360 and you can’t see if something happened or not. Perhaps little highlight in eye or reflective surface. Going to need more power that that for that.