Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2008, 08:22 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JCSullivan Quote
Sorry Chip, the HV is the modern version of the 285 (Zoom Thyristor) which I've had since the late 70s and still works great.
OK, let's see if we can put this to bed - the manual that came with my Vivitar 285HV was printed in 1985 - 23 years ago. I'd call that old, at least in photo years!!

Here's an excerpt from a PopPhoto gift guide dated Dec 17, 2007:
"Vivitar 285HV
Recently reissued (emphasis mine) with a few adaptations to make it suitable for use with digital cameras, the classic Vivitar 285HV offers a great way for SLR photographers to step up from an on-camera flash for an affordable price. It's compatible with any camera with a hotshoe.
About $90".

10-13-2008, 08:38 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ChipB Quote
OK, let's see if we can put this to bed - the manual that came with my Vivitar 285HV was printed in 1985 - 23 years ago. I'd call that old, at least in photo years!!

Here's an excerpt from a PopPhoto gift guide dated Dec 17, 2007:
"Vivitar 285HV
Recently reissued (emphasis mine) with a few adaptations to make it suitable for use with digital cameras, the classic Vivitar 285HV offers a great way for SLR photographers to step up from an on-camera flash for an affordable price. It's compatible with any camera with a hotshoe.
About $90".

Chip,

I am not an expert on Vivitar flashes (though I have 4 units!!) but if I recall correctly my research before deciding on the 285s, I think the HV nomination came recently on the reissued 285 for the digital cameras.

I had manuals for the classic and the HVs, and they seemed exactly the same to me... for me it seemed like they wanted to save money instead of reissuing a new manual.

In any case, I honestly havent had any problems with either the older 285s or the newer 285HV... and since I dont really need to use them in-camera, I dont even care too much about voltage, so I bought them as they were popping on ebay, regardless of HV or not-HV.

I like their power, adjustability (though it lacks 1/8th power) and dislike it's size/weight. But after $60, it is a GREAT value!

Cheers

BB
10-13-2008, 08:41 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChipB Quote
the manual that came with my Vivitar 285HV was printed in 1985 - 23 years ago. I'd call that old, at least in photo years!!

He he he... that confirms my suspicion: they used the same manual print as the classic, and added few notes about digital cameras. After all, I dont think they had that many digital cameras back in 1985!

The correct thing to do would be to revise the manual and re-date it accordingly. It does not seem like they done it though.

10-13-2008, 12:28 PM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Deni Quote
Hod you people manage to focus in dim light with out af assist light?
I use the K20D's AF system. It does work, you know! And it prevents me from blinding people I'm photographing with the AF assist light.

10-14-2008, 01:47 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Huh?

Could you explain "use k20d's AF system, it works" and how that is different than the flash focus assist going off?

I often shoot in clubs and other low light situations. Most of the time I focus somewhere with enough contrast at the distance of my intended and lock it in. Or I go manual. Well, when I don't forget my glasses that works better. Facts is that even with the flash chirps it struggles.

Even though I am getting better at estimating distances shooting at f/1.4 doesn't leave much room for error.

What I'd like is a setting where the assist comes on and the flash doesn't go off! So there is another situation. Sometimes I am OK with the chirping but still don't want the flash. In those cases I raise the flash, lock in (sometimes needing a few chirps) then close the flash and shoot! All while dancing with the subject. Hard. Fun. And sometimes it works.

Better yet would be real infrared focus assist! a setting on a hotshoe flash that adds to the information the camera gets to focus the lens! And real "wireless" as in wi-fi or bluetooth or the new usb3 would be great too.
10-14-2008, 02:06 AM   #36
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by metroeloise Quote

.......................................Even though I am getting better at estimating distances shooting at f/1.4 doesn't leave much room for error.

Excuse me for asking, why are you shooting at 1.4? Surely you want more DOF in those conditions.
10-14-2008, 07:50 AM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by metroeloise Quote
Could you explain "use k20d's AF system, it works" and how that is different than the flash focus assist going off?

I often shoot in clubs and other low light situations. Most of the time I focus somewhere with enough contrast at the distance of my intended and lock it in. Or I go manual. Well, when I don't forget my glasses that works better. Facts is that even with the flash chirps it struggles.

Even though I am getting better at estimating distances shooting at f/1.4 doesn't leave much room for error.

What I'd like is a setting where the assist comes on and the flash doesn't go off! So there is another situation. Sometimes I am OK with the chirping but still don't want the flash. In those cases I raise the flash, lock in (sometimes needing a few chirps) then close the flash and shoot! All while dancing with the subject. Hard. Fun. And sometimes it works.

Better yet would be real infrared focus assist! a setting on a hotshoe flash that adds to the information the camera gets to focus the lens! And real "wireless" as in wi-fi or bluetooth or the new usb3 would be great too.
The flash doesn't NEED to fire its bursts for AF to lock. It does help, but not that much. That's all I was saying. The AF light gets annoying when you're photographing people, so I rarely use it.I preefere to give the AF system a second than to blind my subjects. And since I prefere to lock exposure when half-pressing the shutter, I cannot use the AF assist then close the flash to prevent it from firing.

In really, really dark situations, I sometimes use hyperfocal, but with a smallish aperture.

10-14-2008, 06:59 PM   #38
Veteran Member

A decent flash for $100?

Let me recommend the flash I've been using for the past year: the Metz 36C-2
MZ53622 Metz 36 Series C-2 Auto Aperture Manual Shoe Mount Flash, Non-Dedicated, Guide Number 118, ISO 100 ft.

It's small and light, and it has enough power for most situations.

It's not dedicated, but it is results are consistent.

It has 3 auto f stops, and only one manual setting - full power, but it performs very well for its price.

I recently bought a Pentax 540, but haven't used it enough to comment on it, but the results it's given me so far are excellent.

One of the main things I bought it for was fill for outdoor portraits when I have to shoot quickly, and it's done well.

Getting back to the Metz, in my opinion you can't go wrong with it for the price.

I would also suggest the Sunpak 383 super as Heather did in post #20.

I owned two of them for about ten years, and they never let me down.

I gave one away, and left the other at a model workshop, never to be seen again.

Metz 36C-2 or Sunpak 383.

Good luck.

Mike
10-15-2008, 06:44 AM   #39
YJD
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you for all of this, but I already bought the Pentax AF280T, it should arrive on Friday.

One of the reason I went with it was its price ($58 including shipping).

Anyway, it will be my first flash... once I'll know how to use it I will consider having another one (which will need to be wireless) and spend a little bit more, but that's not happening in the next 12-18 months.

Thank you all for all those great information. I appreciate all of your comments.