Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2008, 09:50 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Decent flash under $100

I can only save a little bit of money at a time so I decided to limit my buying to less than $100 per accessories (I don't think I could do that for lenses though). Anyway, time as come for me to buy a flash, an external one. Looking around I found that one:
  • Vivitar 285HV Auto Professional Flash (just click here or here)
What do you guys think?

I have played a bit with the build-in flash, but would like something better mainly to do portrait and family pictures as well as some landscape during this darker season (fall and winter).

If you know any other flashes at my price range, feel free to leave your impression as well as a link to that flash.

Thank you all.

10-09-2008, 10:07 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A while back I sold an old (original) 285HV to someone who needed parts to repair one he had - his response after he received the one from me was interesting. He said (and I paraphrase) ...he was really surprised at the difference in quality between old and new models - the old one was MUCH better built (his emphasis).

The Vivitar brand name was sold and resurrected in recent years - neither the current crop of lenses or flashes are as good as the old ones (my personal opinion).

I still have one of my "old style" 285HV's - and I plan on keeping it! If I were you, I'd haunt Craigslist or eBay for an older one. They seem to be selling in the $50 range.

As a side note - in general, the old 283's are NOT DSLR safe and the 285's are a mixed bag - some are safe, some aren't - need to measure the voltage (I've owned both). I've never found an "old style" 285HV that wasn't safe (YMMV).

Also, I have a Pentax AF280T that I use with my K200D - like it very much!! That might be another option for you - they seem to sell in the $40 range. Good luck.
10-09-2008, 10:22 AM   #3
YJD
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the info!
How do you know if the 285HV is new or old one?

Craiglist doesn't work for me, because it doesn't exist where I live, I'll have to drive 2 hours to get anything.

I'll look at the AF280t.

On eBay you can find a bunch of Digital brand name flash, which doesn't look good.

Which other flash can I look at?
10-09-2008, 11:15 AM   #4
Veteran Member

You can also look in the local thrift stores. I have found and bought old thyristor flash for $20. Pretty powerful with bounce, swivel and variable power. Since you are not lookig for P-TTL flash, thyristor flash would work just fine in manual mode.

10-09-2008, 11:21 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by YJD Quote
Thanks for the info!

I'm pretty sure that one way to tell whether or not the 285HV is new or old is that the old (original) ones are marked "Made In Japan" (on the bottom, just in front of the foot). I don't think the new ones are - BUT, I've been wrong before!! Another way would be to ask the owner how long he's owned it (assuming he's the original owner).

Not sure about any other models - the Vivitar and Pentax are the only ones I've personally owned. There's been lots of threads on this forum about older flashes - also do a Google search on "flash trigger voltage" and you'll find several versions of charts that'll give you the trigger voltage - high is bad!!!
10-09-2008, 11:58 AM   #6
YJD
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks.

How about the Sunpack 383?
Is it better than the Vivitar?
10-09-2008, 12:04 PM   #7
YJD
Veteran Member

Original Poster
And how about a Nikon SB-24?
It is only manual with a Pentax but so does the Vivitar and the Sunpack, right?

10-09-2008, 12:32 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I have heard that Nikon flashes (SB models) are pretty good. There are few models that you should avoid though. Of course with my memory, I do not remember which ones. I think SB-26 is good but do not know about SB-24.
10-09-2008, 12:34 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I use an SB-28 with good results. Cost $70 used.

If you use the Nikon flashes, be aware that they have some additional pins to talk to the Nikon cameras for TTL functionality etc. They do not appear to line up with the contacts on the Pentax hotshoes, but if you want to be certain nothing will go wrong you can easily remove the pins (reversible modification) from the SB-28.
10-09-2008, 05:21 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I have a pair of vivitar thyristor 2500. I like them. Bit weaker than the 285 but they also can be had for very cheap on ebay. The hot shoes mounts are flimsy thoughm like all vivitars it seems...
10-09-2008, 06:53 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
DO NOT BUY A NEW VIVITAR 285! They are discontinued. A friend has one under warranty & they won't repair it (just last week) -- they say they are out of business. The re-badged 285HV flashes of late have shown poor reliability compared to their older, digi-frying bretheren.

If you want a new flash warranty, spring for the Sunpak.

If you want a manually capable flash that is extremely adjustable in terms of power as well as rotating head, etc, pick up one of the Nikons: SB24 and SB28 are both excellent -- the 28 is the more adjustable of the two, but can still be had for under $100.

But I repeat for your sake: AVOID VIVITAR.
10-09-2008, 06:58 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by YJD Quote
Thanks for the info!

Craiglist doesn't work for me, because it doesn't exist where I live, I'll have to drive 2 hours to get anything.

I'll look at the AF280t.

On eBay you can find a bunch of Digital brand name flash, which doesn't look good.

Check out Strobist.com. There are several flashes that are recommended there for flash work.
10-10-2008, 03:26 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Don't forget that is you get an auto thyristor flash you'll be missing the auto focus assist light which is very useful in dimly lit areas.

Other than that I like more my thyristor flash over the p-ttl one, but I end up using the p-ttl one only because of the af assist light.
10-10-2008, 04:55 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Firstly, the difference between the 285s - the old one were not 285HV.
Secondly, according to Pentax in Utah the "old" 285 is well within the safe voltage. Mine registers at 8.3 on the v-meter and Pentax said something like 13max. I had placed a note about this on the forum, way-back.

The 285 (and 283) are work-horses and much respected in the field.

UPDATED

I went back and searched for the post I refered to above. It was on 13 August 2007

QuoteQuote:
Finally got thru to Pentax at 1.800.877.0155 and spoke to Derek. He says "As long as it doesn't exceed 25V..." I should be OK.

Last edited by JCSullivan; 10-10-2008 at 12:38 PM. Reason: updated post
10-10-2008, 05:37 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Here is a good reference on older flashes: link. Of course that's only a guidance on what older flashes may work. You should definitely check the one you buy to make sure voltage is safe.

I have used Vivitar 2500 and I liked it (for some reason the mount on my flash worked very vell). I have also had old Starblitz that didn't work with my istDL. Now I am on big old Sunpak that works very well and has all the manual settings I could dream of. And I didn't pay more than $25 for any of the flashes.