Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-09-2019, 12:50 PM   #1

Removing 'post back-to-work' stress by taking pictures

Hello,

I suppose most of you are on holidays, because I don't see a lot of activity here. My holidays ended some days ago, so I have to wait another year to enjoy the next summer.To make things less hard, I have proposed myself to practice some easy lighting setups, so I'm searching for setup samples and trying to reproduce the results with my equipment. Easy setups, with just one/two lights and a simple backdrop (I have a DIY black one that is not bad).

So here are a couple of pics using a really simple one light setup: one medium octabox more or less 45 right and a bit high, close to her, and a black background. I like dark backgrounds for portraits. I used my AD360 for lighting the Octabox, but I think that a more modest speedlight could be used without issue.

So for the first one, Teresa is sitting, and the Octabox is at right and a bit up, close to her. That's all. I added some glowing with Affinity Photo and dialed down Clarity on C1, to soften the picture a but; I like a touch of ethereal effect.

On the second one, the setup is the same, but she is looking at the Octabox. I like how the light reach her face and the reflection on the lips & eyes. The Octabox is close, so the picture is quite contrasty, but an advantage is that is helps if you want a black background. In PP, I just added one of the (free) film effects that I have on C1 (that still add more contrast). I'm not convinced with the film style, but I'm just playing and having fun.

I hope you like it. I really enjoy the short 'studio' sessions. I have to take more pics and talk less about flashes and controllers .

Regards.

08-09-2019, 01:23 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My 2 cents - I like the composition on both shots. On the first one I might have used a white reflector to bounce just a little light onto the right side of her face (photo left). In the second shot, the skin tones look distinctly green and un-natural. I love the pose though, and in this shot I like that her right side is fading into the black background.
08-09-2019, 03:27 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by morenjavi Quote
So here are a couple of pics using a really simple one light setup
I like both set-ups here, but agree that the second one looks a bit odd, like a white balance issue.