Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
5 Days Ago   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Godox X receiver for third party flashes?

I recently got the X-Pro P trigger and an AD-200 Pro. That all works well but I'd like to able to also trigger my Metz and/or Sigma flashes with this trigger if possible.
Is there such a thing as a radio receiver for non-Godox flashes or will I need to get a compatible wireless flash (Godox or Flashpoint)?
Just trying to save a few bucks here but it would be nice to be able to do that. If not I'll probably order one of those new round head flashes to replace the Metz/Sigma ones.

4 Days Ago   #2

The last time I checked they only had the X1r (r receiver) for Canon and Nikon.
I was hopping to reuse my metz too.
I've checked the X2p manual for that, but it looks the top flash connector is just a direct link to the camera.

Last edited by danielblues; 4 Days Ago at 02:27 AM. Reason: x2p
4 Days Ago   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
I recently got the X-Pro P trigger and an AD-200 Pro. That all works well but I'd like to able to also trigger my Metz and/or Sigma flashes with this trigger if possible.
Is there such a thing as a radio receiver for non-Godox flashes or will I need to get a compatible wireless flash (Godox or Flashpoint)?
It depends on how much control you want over the remote flash.

An X1R in the -C(anon) -N(ikon) or -S(ony) flavors, if cabled/attached to any flash/strobe, should work to remotely fire the flash in sync, but won't give any power control, TTL, or HSS control. To get the TTL/HSS control over a for-Pentax TTL speedlight, you'd need an X1R-P, and Godox hasn't made one.

The camera, transmitter, X1R receiver and flash all have to match the camera brand for TTL/HSS with a non-Godox speedlight off-camera. These aren't like the Cactus V6II triggers: the X1R is brand-dedicated. It's only the built-in transceivers in Godox's lights that support cross-brand TTL.

This is one of the reasons most folks who switch to Godox do a clean sweep, sell the legacy gear, and buy Godox speedlights.

QuoteQuote:
Just trying to save a few bucks here but it would be nice to be able to do that. If not I'll probably order one of those new round head flashes to replace the Metz/Sigma ones.
The V1-P round-head speedlight ($260) and TT350-P mini speedlight ($85) are your only options for on-camera TTL/HSS control.

However, the $65 TT600 and $140 V850II (li-on version of the TT600) are single-pin manual flashes that can do remote M power control, group control, and HSS as radio slaves to an XPro-P /X2T-P on a Pentax camera. (They won't do remote zoom control or ID codes, though). And all the flavors of V860II ($180) and the TT685-C(anon, $110) can be firmware updated to be P-TTL radio slaves. So you are not limited to the V1-P if you only plan to use this flash off-camera.

Hopefully, at some point Godox will release V860II-P and TT685-P models, but it's been 10 months, now, since the XPro-P came out, with no sign of these models being announced, so they may never happen (with Fuji and MFT, it was about 3 months after the TT350 was released that the TT685 and V860II models came out). It could be rather than retrofitting older models, they're throwing efforts into only supporting Pentax with new/future models of gear.

I would also say if you're thinking of spending $260 on the V1-P as mostly an off-camera light, you may want to analyze your lighting needs to see whether or not a $300 AD200 would be a useful option, as it's pretty close in price, 3x as powerful, and bare bulb.

Last edited by inkista; 4 Days Ago at 03:36 AM.
4 Days Ago   #4
Pentaxian

Just came across this thread - I also got the Xpro-P and the AD400 Pro. But I still have my old YN 560III. If I want to use a 2-light setup, is it possible to use the YN 560III in slave mode?

4 Days Ago   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by inkista Quote
It depends on how much control you want over the remote flash.

An X1R in the -C(anon) -N(ikon) or -S(ony) flavors, if cabled/attached to any flash/strobe, should work to remotely fire the flash in sync, but won't give any power control, TTL, or HSS control. To get the TTL/HSS control over a for-Pentax TTL speedlight, you'd need an X1R-P, and Godox hasn't made one.

The camera, transmitter, X1R receiver and flash all have to match the camera brand for TTL/HSS with a non-Godox speedlight off-camera. These aren't like the Cactus V6II triggers: the X1R is brand-dedicated. It's only the built-in transceivers in Godox's lights that support cross-brand TTL.

This is one of the reasons most folks who switch to Godox do a clean sweep, sell the legacy gear, and buy Godox speedlights.

The V1-P round-head speedlight ($260) and TT350-P mini speedlight ($85) are your only options for on-camera TTL/HSS control.

However, the $65 TT600 and $140 V850II (li-on version of the TT600) are single-pin manual flashes that can do remote M power control, group control, and HSS as radio slaves to an XPro-P /X2T-P on a Pentax camera. (They won't do remote zoom control or ID codes, though). And all the flavors of V860II ($180) and the TT685-C(anon, $110) can be firmware updated to be P-TTL radio slaves. So you are not limited to the V1-P if you only plan to use this flash off-camera.

Hopefully, at some point Godox will release V860II-P and TT685-P models, but it's been 10 months, now, since the XPro-P came out, with no sign of these models being announced, so they may never happen (with Fuji and MFT, it was about 3 months after the TT350 was released that the TT685 and V860II models came out). It could be rather than retrofitting older models, they're throwing efforts into only supporting Pentax with new/future models of gear.

I would also say if you're thinking of spending $260 on the V1-P as mostly an off-camera light, you may want to analyze your lighting needs to see whether or not a $300 AD200 would be a useful option, as it's pretty close in price, 3x as powerful, and bare bulb.
Thanks. I already have a AD200 Pro so I'd like a P-TTL flash that could be used either on-camera OR wirelessly (without additional triggers/receivers).
It sounds like the V1-P is probably the one to get for those specific uses.

Edit to say: I see they don't use the same battery which is too bad but probably still my best solution.

Last edited by mattb123; 4 Days Ago at 07:56 AM.
4 Days Ago   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by Hattifnatt Quote
Just came across this thread - I also got the Xpro-P and the AD400 Pro. But I still have my old YN 560III. If I want to use a 2-light setup, is it possible to use the YN 560III in slave mode?
Should work in optical slave mode, just like a studio strobe. If you're using the AD400 Pro in M mode, then S1; if you're using TTL, then S2, so you can skip the metering preflash.

But the built-in radio receiver in the YN-560 III is not compatible with the Godox system. To operate it over radio, you'd need an X1R on its foot, and you'd only have sync, because the YN-560 III only has the sync pin on its foot.

---------- Post added 08-13-19 at 10:08 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
Thanks. I already have a AD200 Pro so I'd like a P-TTL flash that could be used either on-camera OR wirelessly (without additional triggers/receivers).
It sounds like the V1-P is probably the one to get for those specific uses.
Yup.

QuoteQuote:
Edit to say: I see they don't use the same battery which is too bad but probably still my best solution.
Yup. It's annoying to me that the V1 doesn't use the same battery pack the V850II & V860II do, either.
4 Days Ago   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by inkista Quote
Should work in optical slave mode, just like a studio strobe. If you're using the AD400 Pro in M mode, then S1; if you're using TTL, then S2, so you can skip the metering preflash.But the built-in radio receiver in the YN-560 III is not compatible with the Godox system. To operate it over radio, you'd need an X1R on its foot, and you'd only have sync, because the YN-560 III only has the sync pin on its foot.
Thank you! I'm only starting out with strobes so I don't have so much experience. If I understand correctly, this should also work with HSS, right? since the YN-560 III in slave mode (S1 or S2) will only care about the AD400 firing no matter what the shutter speed is, right?
3 Days Ago   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thank you! I'm only starting out with strobes so I don't have so much experience. If I understand correctly, this should also work with HSS, right? since the YN-560 III in slave mode (S1 or S2) will only care about the AD400 firing no matter what the shutter speed is, right?
Sure, but the Yongnuo is not an HSS flash ... it will have a black area beginning at 1/250s and by 1/400s may be doing nothing to the scene.

2 Days Ago   #9

It might; it might not. I've been confused on this point myself with things I've read online (my flash gear can do HSS, so I haven't had to try this).

The thing is HSS isn't about firing the flash in a single burst. It's about rapidly pulsing the flash to fake being a continuous light source for the duration of the exposure. Some optical slaving seems to allow the slave flash to "echo" the HSS pulsing of the master flash; but others can't. A lot of this may have to do with whether the power level set on the slave flash is low enough to keep the capacitor from running out of charge for the repeated pulses.

Just me, but I wouldn't count on HSS working, but I also wouldn't say it won't work. I think this is in the category of "try it and see." And if it doesn't work, then consider trading in the YN-560III for a Godox TT600.
1 Day Ago   #10

I had no luck when I tried using a YN-560III/iv triggered by an AF540FGZ II in HSS or P-TTL modes. The YN would fire, but not in sync with the Pentax flash. I tried this after seeing a post, I believe here on PF, that it was possible. Perhaps there's some trickery involved, but it didn't work for me.
1 Day Ago   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Well I have pre-ordered a V1. Hopefully it will get here before too long but it looks like it is a month or so out.

I was thinking in the mean time if I need to I might be able to stack a the X Pro on a Cactus V6ii if I need to use the AD200 and my Metz speedlight. I should give that a try and see how it works for me.
1 Day Ago   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by West Penn Quote
I tried this after seeing a post, I believe here on PF, that it was possible. Perhaps there's some trickery involved, but it didn't work for me.
That might have been my post and yes, some trickery was done, though pulsed flash was not part of the mix. At full intensity, my YN560III's duration is just a hair longer than the curtain transit time on my K-3. I used a Sigma EF-610 DG Super in HSS mode as the optical trigger, but set to minimum flash intensity and oriented to contribute little to the actual exposure.

Steve
1 Day Ago   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The flash will fire (use S2), but not as a pulsed burst. However, if set to full intensity, duration may be long enough to illuminate the full frame at shutter speeds faster than X-sync.

Steve