Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
08-30-2019, 03:41 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Radio Triggering a Godox TT600 from a TT350p

HI all,

So I've recently purchased a Godox TT350p and I'm tossed up regarding if I should pull the trigger on a trigger, or if I should flash the cash for another flash.
What I'm wondering are the following points:

Using the built in 2.4 GHZ radio transceivering of both flashes, would the following work?
1) HSS: Can you fire the TT600 in HSS using the TT350p as master on the hotshoe?
2) Power control: Can you control the TT600 slaves power using the TT350p as master?
3) Manual only or TTL: WIll TTL data be sent to the TT600 slave from the TT350p master?

If you are in the know, please let me know. And/or, you own the flashes and have tried these combos and can comment on how the flash radio to flash radio transmission works.
Even if you don't have a TT600, but have a TT350p and say, a V850/II, TT685 etc and can test this, I'd very much appreciate it.

The price of the TT600 is pretty much the same as the Xpro-P which is why I'm tossed up here since I already (technically speaking) have a radio trigger in the 350p I figured another X protocol flash would make more sense than just a trigger to trigger my flash that already has a trigger (Wow, didn't think that would come out this way). Hopefully you know what I mean.

Thanks in advance!

08-30-2019, 06:05 PM   #2

I started to write a different response, but am glad I reread your post more carefully. I have a bunch of TT600s, and the Fuji version of the TT350. (That version does not, as far as I can tell, work as a transmitter to control other flashes.)

I have the Xpro trigger (don't get the X1T). It's great, and it's hard to imagine that your TT350 is as ergonomically useful as a dedicated unit. Moreover, I can confirm that that the Xpro will both give you power control of individual OCFs, and allow HSS. No TTL, though (unless you get one of the expensive TTL strobes).

This is a partial answer, but I hope it helps.
08-30-2019, 08:27 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam007 Quote
I started to write a different response, but am glad I reread your post more carefully. I have a bunch of TT600s, and the Fuji version of the TT350. (That version does not, as far as I can tell, work as a transmitter to control other flashes.)

I have the Xpro trigger (don't get the X1T). It's great, and it's hard to imagine that your TT350 is as ergonomically useful as a dedicated unit. Moreover, I can confirm that that the Xpro will both give you power control of individual OCFs, and allow HSS. No TTL, though (unless you get one of the expensive TTL strobes).

This is a partial answer, but I hope it helps.
Hmmmmm, Perhaps I should do this in stages. X2T-p trigger (I like having the option of on camera fill/contrast flash) then an off camera TT600. Damn these decisions lol
08-31-2019, 02:53 AM - 1 Like   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobie Quote
Using the built in 2.4 GHZ radio transceivering of both flashes, would the following work?1) HSS: Can you fire the TT600 in HSS using the TT350p as master on the hotshoe?2) Power control: Can you control the TT600 slaves power using the TT350p as master?3) Manual only or TTL: WIll TTL data be sent to the TT600 slave from the TT350p master?
I have the 350p and 600 and run a quick test, so:
1) Yes
2) Yes
3) No, if you turn TTL on on the 350, the 600 turns to off.

---------- Post added 31-08-19 at 11:20 ----------

ps: With the XproP, the expected happens, the 600 turns to off in TTL and the 350 works.

Last edited by danielblues; 08-31-2019 at 03:10 AM.
08-31-2019, 10:26 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by danielblues Quote
1) Yes
2) Yes

ps: With the XproP, the expected happens, the 600 turns to off in TTL and the 350 works.
Perfect! Thank you for the tests. The important parts are covered by just adding a 600.
09-03-2019, 12:14 AM   #6

HI all,

3) Manual only or TTL: WIll TTL data be sent to the TT600 slave from the TT350p master?
It's sent, but the TT600 won't grok it; it's non-TTL. If you want TTL with an off-camera speedlight, then you'd need another TT350P, a TT685-C with its firmware updated to grok P-TTL, a V860II of any flavor firmware updated to grok P-TTL, or a V1-P.

QuoteQuote:
The price of the TT600 is pretty much the same as the Xpro-P which is why I'm tossed up here...
<grin>. Keep in mind, the TT600 has a few drawbacks vs. a TT685/V860II/V1, aside from the lack of TTL. It cannot be firmware updated, so newer features that have been added with firmware updates won't work with it (e.g., ID codes or turning off that blinking "slave active" status LED). It also cannot be remotely zoomed.

And the TT350-P vs. an Xpro-P, has fewer features as a radio transmitter. It can only control three groups (instead of 5), the radio master UI is a lot more of a PITA vs. the one on the XPro, and the XPro can do TCM (TTL locking). In addition, a Flashpoint R2 Pro II-P (which also costs $70), has bluetooth app control, so you can use your phone to adjust/fire your flashes, as well as the SCAN function which automatically sets the channel to the least-crowded one.

But yeah, the TT600 / TT350P combo will work for what you want.
10-01-2019, 06:34 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by danielblues Quote
1) Yes
2) Yes

I suppose I'm being dense, but I can't get off-camera flash to work between two TT350p units, or between a TT350p and TT600 in either direction. I apologize, but can you tell me how you set yours up using small words and by typing real slow so I can understand? I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. Thanks.

10-01-2019, 07:47 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
I suppose I'm being dense, but I can't get off-camera flash to work between two TT350p units, or between a TT350p and TT600 in either direction. I apologize, but can you tell me how you set yours up using small words and by typing real slow so I can understand? I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. Thanks.
Did you enable wireless on both flashes and set one as "M" (Master) and the other as "S" (Slave)?
Are they both on the same channel and group?
You have to press and hold the Sync button, then you'll see a little radio symbol in the bottom left of the display. When that's flashing, I believe it was the mode button (might be just moving the dial) to change which wireless mode it'll use ("M" or "S"). The channel/Group button does exactly that, sets the channel and group. The flashes have to be on the same channel to talk to each other. One flash must be wireless master to control the other flash which will be the wireless slave.
10-02-2019, 06:31 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Thanks for your super-fast response, Kobie.

Did you enable wireless on both flashes and set one as "M" (Master) and the other as "S" (Slave)? Are they both on the same channel and group?
Yes. The master and slave are set appropriately, and all are on channel 16. The two slaves are both set to group A and the master shows A as set to manual and full power.

You have to press and hold the Sync button, then you'll see a little radio symbol in the bottom left of the display. When that's flashing, I believe it was the mode button (might be just moving the dial) to change which wireless mode it'll use ("M" or "S"). The channel/Group button does exactly that, sets the channel and group. The flashes have to be on the same channel to talk to each other. One flash must be wireless master to control the other flash which will be the wireless slave.
For all I can tell, I have them set up appropriately. Here's the weird thing that I discovered after writing this plea for help. I can get the two TT350s to communicate with each other. They will work in TTL mode and in MULTI mode, but not in Manual mode. I can't get any communication between the TT600 (I only have one) and either of my TT350s at all.

All three flashes seem to work fine as solitary on-board manual flashes.

Any further guidance is highly appreciated.
Thanks!
JCD
10-02-2019, 02:22 PM   #10
Pentaxian

And here's a photo so you can see my settings for my TT350s. Hope to solve this problem first before the TT600.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SM-G930V  Photo 
10-03-2019, 01:36 AM   #11

And here's a photo so you can see my settings for my TT350s. Hope to solve this problem first before the TT600.
Sorry, but it look like it's properly setup. If you change the master/slave roles you get the same results?
10-03-2019, 09:48 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

Update: I have updated firmware on both TT350P units to 1.2. I have discovered that the test button works as expected in wireless mode. The slave triggers regardless of which unit is the master or slave. I have two K-1 mII units, and still, the master will not trigger the slave from the flash shoe in M mode, but it will in TTL mode. [imagine a profanity laden tirade here] I plan to send a support request to Godox and I'll keep you apprised of results. Anyone else experiencing this issue? :-)

Cheers!
JCD
10-03-2019, 10:57 AM   #13

firmware on both TT350P units to 1.2
Thanks for the firmware tip.
And with the 600? Anything chagend?
10-03-2019, 11:06 AM   #14
Pentaxian

The TT600 is not firmware upgradable.

You can download firmware updates and user manuals here.

I still haven't tried the TT350/TT600 wireless setup yet.
10-10-2019, 10:16 AM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

Keeping this thread up to date:

I am still waiting on a reply from Godox.

I did finally try optical mode (slave flash triggered by main on-camera flash, not radio signal), and that works just fine. So I suppose the problem is solved, but I'd rather have a fully functioning set of flashes.

The TT350 is a fantastic flash even without wireless. Recycle times are very fast, the unit is versatile and provides good power for indoor and close-up work, and is pocketable. I highly recommend the flash, esp at the price point, even though I'm having trouble with mine.