Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
10-02-2019, 03:04 AM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Westcott FJ400 is a Jinbei HD400 Pro clone without Pentax support (yet)

Westcott has collaborated with Jinbei to design the "Westcott FJ400" strobe that compares well to the Godox AD400 / Flashpoint XPLOR 400 for an even lower price point.

The system uses a multi-brand trigger that supports TTL and HSS (cf. Cactus V6II). Many brands are supported (including Sony via an adapter) but Sigma and Pentax are not. A Westcott employee did not rule out the possibility that Pentax support might be added in the future.

The universal FJ-X2m trigger (also made by and available from Jinbei) has very nice colour display but unfortunately only three group buttons. Six groups are supported but not displayed simultaneously.

Will be interesting to see whether Westcott/Jinbei will expand this system with further lights, e.g., something equivalent to the Godox AD200 / Flashpoint eVOLV 200.

Last edited by Class A; 10-03-2019 at 01:45 AM.
10-02-2019, 05:24 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
That sounds interesting. If the pins are there (and apparently they are) and if user-side upgrades are possible, there is little reason to think they could not add PTTL to this system.

I'm guessing it will work in manual mode already? When in the studio, I don't like PTTL anyway.
10-02-2019, 06:22 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I'm guessing it will work in manual mode already?
Sure.

However, there will be no HSS.

When in the studio, I don't like PTTL anyway.
I don't like P-TTL anywhere but on location, HSS is very handy.

The Westcott FJ400 / Jinbei HD400 Pro is battery-powered so it is primarily meant to be a mobile lighting solution. Hence, HSS support would be very welcome.
10-02-2019, 08:30 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
If the pins are there (and apparently they are)...
The pin layout --

-- looks very, very similar to that of the Cactus V6II.

So it seems Pentax support would not require new hardware.

10-06-2019, 05:40 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

I hope they develop a Pentax version, would be good to have more options for Pentax. Would be good for Godox users too. With more options for OCF lights maybe Godox put more effort on quality, trigger designing, fixing and improving firmware... If they realize that they are no longer the only ones that can offer competitive OCF lights.
10-06-2019, 08:07 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by morenjavi Quote
With more options for OCF lights maybe Godox put more effort on quality, trigger designing, fixing and improving firmware...
Yes, competition is good.

I was surprised to see how competitive the Westcott/Jinbei alternative is in terms of the price. The Godox equipment is great value for money (in particular compared to the traditional brands) but the Westcott/Jinbei strobe is even cheaper than the comparable AD400 PRO.

If they could add more lights, it would make them a much more viable alternative then they are right now. Phottix has been offering a Pentax-dedicated solution for about two years now, but since the Odin II for Pentax is only compatible with the Indra 500 (and perhaps the Indra360) and the "Juno" speedlight, I don't think they ever got much traction with that system. I don't really know but certainly this forum's members haven't flooded the forum with experience reports.
10-06-2019, 09:59 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I was surprised to see how competitive the Westcott/Jinbei alternative is in terms of the price. The Godox equipment is great value for money (in particular compared to the traditional brands) but the Westcott/Jinbei strobe is even cheaper than the comparable AD400 PRO.
This flash is really nice, similar specs to the AD400.100$ less. The triggers are more expensive compared to Godox. I love the display on flash & trigger. Godox display looks so outdated if you compare it with the FJ400.

10-06-2019, 11:45 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
It just occurred to me that the Jinbei-equivalent of the trigger (Jinbei TR-Q7) is probably capable of controlling more than the HD400 Pro.

Indeed, there already is a sizeable ecosystem, as the Jinbei HD610, HD400, MSN TTL, Mars 3, and HD2 are all compatible.

Not sure whether the Westcott trigger (FJ-X2m) and the Jinbei TR-Q7 are as interchangeable as the Godox and Flashpoint variants are with each other.
If they were then that would give Westcott FJ400 and FJ-X2m users access to quite a neat lighting ecosystems. The more of the lights Westcott could adopt, the better for receiving good service.

Having said that, many Jinbei products are available with an "Orlit" branding from Adorama. These should provide the same kind of peace of mind as Westcott-supported ones.