Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-08-2019, 12:07 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Godox X2T and the DELAY setting

Hello everybody,

It's me again with my HSS experiments.
I was playing yesterday with the X2T trigger and DELAY setting, just to understand better what exactly this setting does.
There is no documentation about this setting, the manual only says that is a small delay that you can set.

My first thought about this setting was that it would be useful to get hypersync/powersync, but not for HSS. Why not ? Well, HSS are uniform-small pulses-continuous like light... When you have X2T or XProP and a Godox flash on the other side, and you are using speeds above 1/180 (for APS-C), you get correct synchronization, so why do you need to set a timming ? But, if you are firing a pulse instead of using HSS, then yes, sure you need to play with the timing to get such pulse on your frame.

So, before having the oportunity to play with the X2T I though that, once you set any DELAY value, HSS would be disabled on the remote flash to allow you to play with the timing. But, what I found is that HSS remains enabled on the remote flash, regardless you set DELAY timing or not. So really, just with a X2T and a 'modern' flash like the AD200, it's not possible to get hypersync. But, if you have a legacy flash, where you can control HSS manually, then yes, it's possible. But, as I wrote on other threads days ago, this trigger have a lot of problems with legacy flashes.

Ok, but lets focus about what I want to show now. I was taking a series of pics of a boring wall, with my X2T + AD200, and using several values for the DELAY setting. At the end of this post is an image with 8 pics showing what happens when you change the DELAY setting.

For all the pictures I used F4 1/400, this is on purpose. Forget about the artistic value, white balance, focusing or exposure.
Let's start with picture 1, you can see the AD200 with the fresnel head, also a wall that is illuminated by the AD200. You can see that there is an area that have more light, this is where the AD200 hits directly, and the darker area is bounced light. You can also see part of a mannequin head at bottom left.
I know that maybe it's not the best sample image, but this is what I have by now, I don't have more time to prepare nicer samples.

* In picture 1, DELAY setting is set to OFF, I'm using a speed of 1/400, so it's above sync speed, so the AD200 is using HSS. Nothing strange here.
* In picture 2, DELAY setting is set to the minimum value, 0.1 ms. I was expecting HSS to be disabled or any other change, but you can see, that the pic is exactly equal to picture 1, so AD200 is using HSS too.
* picture 4, with DELAY set to 1ms, you start to see a brighter area that is 'coming'.

* pictures 3 to 6, you can see how the brighter area is starting to fill the frame. Well, I think this brighter area is made by a normal pulse that the AD200 is doing too, just after the HSS thing. So, it seems that, when HSS is enabled, the AD200 makes HSS lighting but also sends a normal pulse. I don't know if it makes sense, because it seems a waste of light. Notice also, that the top and bottom area have different light temperature. This is the same temperature difference that I noticed when I compare a pic taken with and without HSS. Notice also the brightness difference between (what I call) the 'HSS zone' and the 'PULSE zone'.

* Picture 7, you can see that the brigther area has reached it's maximum, and a dark area appeared on the bottom. This area is not black, is an area that not receives flash light, but ambient light.
* Picture 8, 4.4 ms is the setting I normally use for the AD200 when I want to play to sync pulses in the range 1/200 - 1/400.

I'll repeat this test but by controlling the AD200 HSS setting manually.
Later I want to compare HSS 1/1 vs hypersync, to see the difference in power.

Regards.

Attached Images

10-09-2019, 02:33 AM   #2
Pentaxian

maybe 3,5 ms delay would be good for ambient portaits or pictures, when you need darker sky (if frame is positioned properly)?
BUt taht is for 1/400s.
10-09-2019, 05:31 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Ok, I did read article on wikipedia (Understanding HyperSync and High Speed Sync - PocketWizard Wiki) and another about hypersync (Hypersync easily explained by Fabio Gloor - Part 2 - broncolor News) and now I have impression that author of second article misused hypersync term with HSS.
What is the real difference between these two methods and why you want hypersync instead oh HSS?
10-09-2019, 08:09 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Medex Quote
Ok, I did read article on wikipedia (Understanding HyperSync and High Speed Sync - PocketWizard Wiki) and another about hypersync (Hypersync easily explained by Fabio Gloor - Part 2 - broncolor News) and now I have impression that author of second article misused hypersync term with HSS.
What is the real difference between these two methods and why you want hypersync instead oh HSS?
Thanks to take the time to read my post
In my understanding, powersync and hypersync are the same concept. I can be wrong, but this is what I'm referring to when I talk about hypersync:

* the flash is set at full power 1/1
* the flash is generating a unique and long pulse
* the pulse is long enough so it can fill your frame, regardless you are using high speeds, with your first & second curtain travelling close, etc.

With HSS, the flash is emiting a series of short and uniform pulses. You need more power with HSS, usually flashes get hot sooner, and the bulbs live less. An advantage of HSS is that your trigger usually handle with it automatically, and you can use any flash power, from 1/128 to 1/1.

With hypersync, you get teoretically the most powerful 'blast' possible from your flash, so you always get more light with hypersync compared to HSS at 1/1 power. But If you have a flash with no HSS support, your only option to sync above normal sync speeds, is to use hypersync (firing such flash at full power). As a disadvantage you have only one power option, so to get a correct exposure, you need to vary the distance from the flash to your subject. With HSS you can control the power. Also, on the AD200, you have TTL with HSS too.

In my case, I just like to know that I have the option to use HSS or hypersync. In practice, I think hypersync can be an option if you are for example outside, with sun, you need to kill ambien light, and you realise that your flash have not enough power in HSS. Hypersync can give you maybe near 1 extra stop of power, if needed.

10-09-2019, 10:13 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by morenjavi Quote
In my understanding, powersync and hypersync are the same concept. I can be wrong, but this is what I'm referring to when I talk about hypersync:
Everything you said is correct.

I'd add that HyperSync always implies a vertical gradation (in landscape orientation). The single flash pulse varies in intensity while the first and second curtains travel over the sensor. This manifests itself as a varying flash exposure across the frame.

HSS, in contrast, provides an even exposure across the frame (as the burst of many very short pulses approximates continuous light).