Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
10-28-2019, 05:20 PM - 1 Like   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by wooly11 Quote
Thank you very much everybody, The difference in all of the responses summed up why I had been struggling to come to a conclusion! I have spent this morning as it is pouring with rain outside, getting to grips with the different systems and think it is best to start from scratch and take the Godox system and build it up gradually. This is not a price decision but based on the more available options. I had seen the new Flashpoint R2 PRO Mark 11 and will try to acquire one which is not so straight forward from here in the UK - International delivery, taxes and Vat make it expensive - but there are ways!
Thank you again for all for the ideas - Michael

---------- Post added 10-26-19 at 07:02 AM ----------

Hi, I have been with Fuji since the day the X-T1 came out which I absolutely loved, then moved to the X-H1 thinking with the IBIS this would be the ultimate. I teamed it up with their best red dot lenses (16-55, 50-140 and 100-400) and just found the whole thing cumbersome and results disappointing. I had to change because of a frozen shoulder all last winter being unable to lift the weight comfortably. I changed to the X-T3 and have been more comfortable but not overly impressed with the results plus the whole system particularly the AF system is getting overly complicated, in trying to improve the AF system unless you are a pro using the camera every day it is a nightmare to get the results that they try to claim for the camera - do not believe all of the claims on the gear forum and read about all of the poor focus reports since they have been giving X-H1 away.
For years I have been collecting Pentax gear including 35mm compacts, 35mm SLRs and of course Pentax lenses. It seemed a pity with 20 plus lenses not to use them on a dslr so in the spring picked up a used Pentax KP (3000 activations) and haven't looked back since. Although a little heavier the camera with the F AND FA handles really well and so I have now also added some DA zoom lenses, 12-24, 16-85 and 55-300plm and a DA55 1.8. The quality of these lenses is superb and far better priced than the Fuji equivalent. I have also just added a SMC Pentax-f* 300 in mint condition which is an absolutely fantastic lens in all ways.
Do not be taken in by Fuji claims with their 300+ focus point etc at the end of the day one focus point is enough if it is accurate and pointed in the right place. Having endless different modes for different moving conditions is fine as long as you are in the correct one at the correct moment!! The Pentax Ibis is far better than the Fuji - I can say that as a former Fuji X-H1 user. Pentax do not put Fn buttons on the end of thumb grips where you activate the button every time you pick up the camera - madness.
My X-T3 is packed ready for sale bring on the new Pentax!!
Interesting, I was at Photoplus in NYC last weekend and really did not take a look at the Fujifilm gear. I did try the Olympus gear and really was not impressed. The EV really does not do it for me now. Although its cute to have a preview of your image.

Back to your original post. It would be a little more helpful if you say what you plan to shoot with your flash and in what conditions. I use the Flashpoint version of the Godox flashes and I only use the manual versions. It saves money and for me it saves time. I do a lot of studio shooting so I really have no need for PTTL. Even when I occasionally do events, I shoot in complete manual mode in the camera and with my flash. Also if you grow in your photography, the godox will make it easier for you to expand. Of course, as the saying goes "you get what you pay for" The quality control and ruggedness of a Pentax would not compare to a Godox. If you are only going to use one flash, on camera then consider the Pentax. If you think you will need additional lights then the Godox seems to be a good solution if you plan to expand. Just remember it's cheaper for a reason. Don't be surprised if two lights have a slightly different color temperature. If one suddenly dies on you, don't cry. I have had 2 die on me within a year of purchase and as I had the Flashpoint versions from Adorama they support a full US warranty. I simply returned it and had a new one in under a week. Also, if one breaks springing for $65 is a lot easier than springing $400 for a replacement.

This is not really about what is better as more of what you need. To me you say you are starting out then try the Godox/Flashpoint. For a small investment you can test the waters and see what you need. Just be careful. I started with one flash and a stand and a shoot through umbrella and now I have about $2000 worth of studio equipment, various speedlights, monolights, numerous umbrellas, softboxes etc...

If my business takes off and I take on some commercial work then I will really consider getting higher end equipment, because I would need equipment that is consistent and bulletproof. Till then, Flashpoint gear will more than suffice.

10-28-2019, 10:45 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Angel Perez Quote
I have had 2 die on me within a year of purchase and as I had the Flashpoint versions from Adorama they support a full US warranty. I simply returned it and had a new one in under a week.
Yes, it's important to use a reputable seller like Adorama.

If one buys Godox equipment on ebay or similar and a fault occurs there will be zero (0) support from Godox. None. The notion of a manufacturer warranty as a fall back for a dealer warranty does not exist in the case of Godox.

At least some places in the US exist that can repair Godox equipment for a fee.

Just be careful. I started with one flash and a stand and a shoot through umbrella and now I have about $2000 worth of studio equipment, various speedlights, monolights, numerous umbrellas, softboxes etc...
Somehow that story sounds familiar.

If my business takes off and I take on some commercial work then I will really consider getting higher end equipment, because I would need equipment that is consistent and bulletproof.
In what way to you consider the Godox/Flashpoint equipment to be inferior?

In terms of power-level and colour consistency even outrageously expensive gear by Profoto is not better. This has been demonstrated multiple times. I guess meantime between failures could be better with the (much) more expensive gear.
10-29-2019, 03:42 PM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Yes, it's important to use a reputable seller like Adorama.

If one buys Godox equipment on ebay or similar and a fault occurs there will be zero (0) support from Godox. None. The notion of a manufacturer warranty as a fall back for a dealer warranty does not exist in the case of Godox.

At least some places in the US exist that can repair Godox equipment for a fee.

Somehow that story sounds familiar.

In what way to you consider the Godox/Flashpoint equipment to be inferior?

In terms of power-level and colour consistency even outrageously expensive gear by Profoto is not better. This has been demonstrated multiple times. I guess meantime between failures could be better with the (much) more expensive gear.
Godox is not inferior by any means. They have definitely been innovative and I'm surprised that the industry is not copying them. Again, it's just there is something out there for everyone. I was talking to a pro and he reminded me when your equipment fails in a shoot your client doesn't want to hear how you saved $400 by buying the cheaper light. Also another worry may be color matching with multiple lights. Trust me Godox is getting the job done. The new wescott lights look appealing, except they don't open you up to a system. I have plenty of time to decide.
10-29-2019, 07:09 PM   #19

... The new wescott lights look appealing, except they don't open you up to a system. I have plenty of time to decide.
Actually, the "new Wescott" lights are Jinbei lights, and there is a system mostly based around the TR-Q7 trigger. on Adorama, they're rebranded as Orlit, the way the Godox stuff is rebranded as Flashpoint. But I don't think they support Pentax TTL, only Canon, Nikon, Sony, Fuji, and MFT.

10-29-2019, 08:06 PM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by inkista Quote
Actually, the "new Wescott" lights are Jinbei lights, and there is a system mostly based around the TR-Q7 trigger. on Adorama, they're rebranded as Orlit, the way the Godox stuff is rebranded as Flashpoint. But I don't think they support Pentax TTL, only Canon, Nikon, Sony, Fuji, and MFT.
Ah Ha! Thanks for that. Yes they don't support Pentax, surprise, surprise. It's really a non-issue for me. 95% of my work is in studio and always shoot manual so not having pttl is not much of a deal break. As I play around with my camera I can see using rear-curtain sync and I already have a cactus trigger that I would simply mount any lens to if I needed those features. I also plan to get the Flashpoint R2 mark II trigger soon and that will give me the option to do all those things. If I can't use HSS I also have a neutral density filter that would basically give me similar results.
10-30-2019, 06:25 AM   #21
Pentaxian

They have definitely been innovative and I'm surprised that the industry is not copying them.
Yongnuo recently released the YN200 that looks like it took a lot of inspiration from the Godox AD200.

Also, the Jinbei-manufactured Westcott FJ400 is pretty similar to the AD400. It's not a copy but has very similar features and is even cheaper!
Nice to see Godox getting some competition as they were starting to increase their prices a bit with their "Pro" line.
10-30-2019, 06:28 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Yes they don't support Pentax, surprise, surprise.
Yes, it's sad.

However, a Westcott employee indicated that Pentax support could come in the future. IIRC, it was after I pointed out that the trigger's multi-brand hot-shoe connectors appears to look very, very similar to that of the Cactus V6 II. I believe in terms of the hardware, the trigger is already "Pentax ready".

I already have a cactus trigger...
Which one?

If it is a V6 II then you probably wouldn't need another trigger to achieve HSS or even more P-TLL functionality.

10-30-2019, 05:50 PM   #23

Yes, it's sad.

However, a Westcott employee indicated that Pentax support could come in the future. IIRC, it was after I pointed out that the trigger's multi-brand hot-shoe connectors appears to look very, very similar to that of the Cactus V6 II. I believe in terms of the hardware, the trigger is already "Pentax ready".

Which one?

If it is a V6 II then you probably wouldn't need another trigger to achieve HSS or even more P-TLL functionality.
Yep. I have a v6II and yes I have tested it out to fire HSS. It's there mainly for backup or when I need it or if I need to whip out my old Yongnuos. Maybe I just have a case of G.A.S.
10-30-2019, 06:52 PM   #24

Yongnuo recently released the YN200 that looks like it took a lot of inspiration from the Godox AD200.
They're not the first. It's kind of like a rerun of when all the Chinese companies began making their own versions of the YN-560 (e.g., the Godox TT560, aka the Neewer TT560, aka the Amazon Basics flash). What goes around comes around.

Most of the copies, however, like the YN200, feel that you'd prefer a lower price tag to having a modular head and pack configuration, though, so no extension cables, fresnel heads, round heads, or dual-brackets are possible with them.

QuoteQuote:
Also, the Jinbei-manufactured Westcott FJ400 is pretty similar to the AD400. It's not a copy but has very similar features and is even cheaper!
Nice to see Godox getting some competition as they were starting to increase their prices a bit with their "Pro" line.
Actually, the Jinbei HD-400 was around before the AD400 Pro, and Jinbei were the first to have the bluetooth/smart app control in the transmitter (they were doing that back with the TR-Q6). The two systems are pretty comparable and contemporary to each other. But Jinbei never did more than one speedlight (a 600EX-RT clone), and as we all know, speedlights are the gateway drug to a lighting system. Jinbei's cross-brand support also includes Canon's RT system, which is why Canon shooters were more aware of it. But they never had an AD200 analog. Their mini strobe, the Mars3, is a pack'n'head, more like the AD360.

Unlike Godox's transmitters, though, there's only one model of TR-Q7. It has a complex pin arrangement that covers all the supported brands, except for Sony:

And they include a Sony Multi-interface hotshoe adapter in the box.

Given that Pentax's hotshoe contact placement isn't identical with Nikon's, they may need to do something similar for Pentax.
10-31-2019, 07:49 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
I noticed that the Godox TT350P uses only two AA batteries as opposed to the Pentax AF360FGZ using four, which would mean more power is available from the Pentax.
Not necessarily. Just because a flash uses 4 batteries doesn't mean it's as power efficient as a flash that uses 2 batteries. For example, My Shanny SN600FGZ uses 4 batteries and gets about the same amount of full power flashes as my TT350p. My Vivitar Series-1 DF 383 P uses 4 batteries and gets less full power flashes than both my Shanny and my Godox.
QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
If you plan on getting something like the AD600 at a later point, you may want to invest in the Godox TT350P due to its transmitter capability, otherwise I would recommend the AF360FGZ or the Yongnuo YN585EX as they are capable of powering more light than the TT350P. Just a suggestion.
Not true. The GN of both the TT350p and the Pentax AF 360 FGZ are both 118' (GN 36) so they both have the same maximum output. The Yongnuo 585 EX 190' (GN 58) is more powerful than both the TT350 and the 360 FGZ.
Godox TT350p

Pentax AF 360 FGZ II

Yongnuo 585EX
11-02-2019, 03:19 AM - 2 Likes   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobie Quote
... Not true. The GN of both the TT350p and the Pentax AF 360 FGZ are both 118' (GN 36) so they both have the same maximum output. ...
Uh. TT350P has 36m GN if zoomed to 105mm.
The AF 360 FGZ has a 36m GN if zoomed to 85mm.

That actually means the AF 360 FGZ is more powerful.

The higher the zoom, the tighter the focus, and the more intense the beam is.

A Canon 600EX-RT's guide number (iso 100) goes from 60m (@200mm zoom) to 26m (@20mm zoom). Nikon's SB-910 is only 34m, because Nikon measures their ISO 100 guide numbers zoomed to 35mm It's probably roughly the same power output as the Canon 600EX-RT and the Godox TT685, V860II and V1.

Also, the Yongnuo numbers are cheated. Back in the day speedlites.net measured everything in a consistent test setup with a light meter, and the YN-568EX was actually closer to the output of a Canon 430EX (43m) mid-range flash, than a top-end 580EX II (same as the 600EX-RT, only 58m not 60m because it zoomed to 105mm not 200mm)

IOW. Guide numbers are cheated a lot, and it's very hard to compare them apples-to-apples because of the zoom variance.
11-03-2019, 03:07 AM - 1 Like   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by inkista Quote
Given that Pentax's hotshoe contact placement isn't identical with Nikon's, they may need to do something similar for Pentax.
I mentioned before that the TR-Q7's hot-shoe connector looks pretty much identical to that of the Cactus V6 II (in terms of the pin layout). The latter supports Pentax so I'd be 100% surprised if the TR-Q7 would not already be hardware-ready to support Pentax.

There are enough pins to cover all the main brands, including Pentax. The locking pin is in the wrong place for Pentax (as it is on the Cactus V6 II), but the electrical contacts should work.