Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
10-26-2019, 11:43 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Adapter for Standard Tripod to Light Stand

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

All,

I have a couple extra tripods that are pretty solid, and would be usable inside as secondary and tertiary tripods to my normal AltaPro. Are there adapters which I could attach to these other tripods which would enable me to use them as stands for reflectors / umbrellas / slave flashes? Thank you!

10-26-2019, 12:03 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
look on amazon for "adapter spiggot" similar to this Manfrotto Adapter Spigot: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Then get a universal head which mounts on the spiggot like this Neewer S-Type Bracket Holder with Bowens Mount for: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics
10-26-2019, 12:26 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
look on amazon for "adapter spiggot" similar to this Manfrotto Adapter Spigot: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Then get a universal head which mounts on the spiggot like this Neewer S-Type Bracket Holder with Bowens Mount for: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics
Thank you! This combo should be perfect!

Do you have any suggestions for studio umbrellas / lighting? I've seen some good reviews on here for Hobo, but I'm new to this.
10-26-2019, 01:32 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

It depends on your tripod. If yours have fixed heads, the 3/8 screw that attaches to the camera should be adaptable to common light duty fixtures with a 1/4-20 step-up ring. If yours have removable heads and your intent is to mount direct to the platform, the platform stud will be either 3/8 or 1/4-20 depending on tripod. Often the maker provides a reversible stud; that lacking a step-up ring would be the solution here as well.

Steve

10-26-2019, 03:19 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
It depends on your tripod. If yours have fixed heads, the 3/8 screw that attaches to the camera should be adaptable to common light duty fixtures with a 1/4-20 step-up ring. If yours have removable heads and your intent is to mount direct to the platform, the platform stud will be either 3/8 or 1/4-20 depending on tripod. Often the maker provides a reversible stud; that lacking a step-up ring would be the solution here as well.

Steve
Steve,

I did some looking up - thank you.

Me, when I get into some new aspect of photography:

--Jonathan
10-26-2019, 04:31 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The head like I suggest above is great. The Bowens bayonet means you can attach snoots or a bowl reflector. The grip holds the flash head firmly in place. A collapsible softbox can clip to the front or an umbrella can go into the umbrella socket held in place by the grub screw. Very very handy and great value.

---------- Post added 10-27-19 at 12:58 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jawats Quote
Do you have any suggestions for studio umbrellas / lighting?
Cactus do a nice collapsible softbox that even includes the head I refered to....... Cactus CB 60 softbox for Photographic Lighting - Black: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo
10-26-2019, 05:48 PM - 1 Like   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
The head like I suggest above is great. The Bowens bayonet means you can attach snoots or a bowl reflector. The grip holds the flash head firmly in place. A collapsible softbox can clip to the front or an umbrella can go into the umbrella socket held in place by the grub screw. Very very handy and great value.
I agree and I think I might get one. Thanks!

Steve

10-26-2019, 06:08 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I agree and I think I might get one. Thanks!

Steve
Well I have 4 of them !
10-26-2019, 07:09 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I have one of the S-type linked above (Godox version) and it's great. I feel like I need more.

There's also new version out that can accommodate larger heads with inserts for small flashes GODOX PHOTO EQUIPMENT CO.,LTD S2 Speedlite Bracket. The stepless tilting is calling to me...