Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-28-2019, 06:03 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yn560-tx pro + yn200?? Hss??

Anyone have any knowledge on if the new Yongnuo controller works well on their Pentax for HSS??

10-28-2019, 10:57 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am aware of Nikon and Canon versions of the YN560-TX Pro, but am unaware of a Pentax P-TTL version. Is this something new? The crimp of course regarding HSS is that there is no mode on our Pentax dSLRs that allows the hot shoe center contact to fire at a shutter speed higher than the X-sync speed for that body. HSS is is a subset of the P-TTL protocol and requires a supporting flash or TX in the hot shoe.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-28-2019 at 11:04 PM.
10-29-2019, 01:00 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I am aware of Nikon and Canon versions of the YN560-TX Pro, but am unaware of a Pentax P-TTL version. Is this something new? The crimp of course regarding HSS is that there is no mode on our Pentax dSLRs that allows the hot shoe center contact to fire at a shutter speed higher than the X-sync speed for that body. HSS is is a subset of the P-TTL protocol and requires a supporting flash or TX in the hot shoe.

Steve
ohhhh so HSS has to have a P-TTL trigger....damn ok then it won't work...looks like the Xpro trigger and godox is the only option
10-29-2019, 04:49 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Leumas Quote
ohhhh so HSS has to have a P-TTL trigger
It does not need to be a trigger that fully supports P-TTL.

It only needs to emulate a P-TTL capable flash well enough for the camera to recognise that there is an HSS-capable device.

The Yongnuo trigger you mentioned has no Pentax-dedication whatsoever and hence won't offer HSS.

However, for instance the Cactus V6 II, when run with the multi-brand firmware variant, does not support full P-TTL (there is no automatic exposure control) but it supports HSS on Pentax cameras.

.looks like the Xpro trigger and godox is the only option
There are other options, e.g. from Cactus. The V6 II offers two firmware variants. One is the multi-brand I mentioned above and the other supports full P-TTL.

Another alternative comes from Phottix. The Odin II trigger is available for Pentax and supports HSS.

CononMark also supports HSS with Pentax.

Having said that, Godox/Flashpoint is probably your best choice if you already know that you eventually want to use a variety of lights, e.g., from speedlight to studio strobe.

10-29-2019, 11:48 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Those others seem on the expensive and less cohesive side...is the flashpoint compatible with Yongnuo flashes? I always thought I needed a Yongnuo trigger for them to work
10-29-2019, 07:18 PM   #6

Anyone have any knowledge on if the new Yongnuo controller works well on their Pentax for HSS??
AFAIK, they only have plans at the moment for Canon, Nikon, and Sony support:

From this flashhavoc post:

QuoteQuote:
The YN200 Speedlite has been released alongside the new YN560-TX PRO Transmitter, both units incorporating the next generation 560 PRO Radio System, featuring auto sensing radio receiver modes for Canon, Nikon, and Sony camera systems.
Also, Yongnuo's YN-560III, IV, and 660 do not do HSS as radio slaves (unlike Godox's TT600), and AFAIK, there's no P-TTL version of the YN-685.

Keep in mind that unlike Cactus V6 triggers or Godox's TTL speedlights, the Yongnuo TTL speedlights and 622 system has NEVER support cross-system TTL or HSS. That is, the 622N is completely incompatible with the 622C. The only thing that talks to both at this time is the new YN-560-TX Pro.

---------- Post added 10-29-19 at 07:23 PM ----------

....is the flashpoint compatible with Yongnuo flashes?
No. They have their own triggers and flashes. It's a separate system.

QuoteQuote:
I always thought I needed a Yongnuo trigger for them to work
Nope. You could get a Godox XPro-P or X2T-P transmitter for the camera and a Godox TT600 single-pin manual speedlight, and you'd have HSS and remote power control over the speedlight. You could get a TT685-C and upgrade its firmware to the latest version, and you'd have TTL as well (but it's a Canon flash, so wouldn't work on the camera hotshoe). Or you could get a V1-P and use it both on and off the camera in TTL and HSS. See this article. The main problem is that not every TTL light in the Godox system has a Pentax version. While all the Witstro "AD" models will work with Pentax (with firmware updated), the only on-camera flash units that come in Pentax flavor are the TT350-P mini speedlight and the V1 round-head speedlight.
10-30-2019, 03:39 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yeah. I think I'll need to migrate over to a Godox system, as they have better Pentax support. My current Yongnuo setup will probably have to go bye