Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2008, 05:36 PM   #1
Forum Member

Does the Af360 compare to ....

After I acquired the 360, I told a friend of mine (which is a life long canon lover) about it and she asked me info about the lens so I emailed her the spec sheet from pentax website. She also asked me how did it compare to her speedlite 420, I told her I didn't know because I don't know much about flashes. Well today she called to say she read the specs and it seems to be either comparable to the canon speedlite 380 or just under the 380 since its so cheap and cheesy. So my question is, Is it compared to the 380? I know the 420 has swivel and the 360 does not but it just gets to me that she is getting erked over a flash. She tries to nail any brand besides canon every chance she gets.
Meredith

10-17-2008, 05:49 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Let your friend cherish her gear as the ultimate picture taking machine. On your side, enjoy photography as it meant to be, as your ultimate goal. Gear is only means.

You will always find people that believes that the music comes from the piano, not the pianist.

Learn how to play your instruments and you will soon be producing wonderful music.

Robert B.
10-17-2008, 06:39 PM   #3
Veteran Member

As far as power, the 420 and 360 are comparable with the edge to the 420. The 420 has a longer reaching zoom head that helps it get light farther, hense the higher advertised guide number. The swivel head is a big plus imo, but that's subjective.

Doesn't mean Canon trumps your Pentax tho.

Pentax has better Wireless flash capabilities tho (the 420 can only be used as a slave flash unit). The Pentax also has better Manual Flash capabilities (the 420 requires the user to input a shutter speed and aperture, then the flash calculates, where as the Pentax can find the desired fraction of power - a true manual flash).

Probably more differences, but that's enough out of me.

And the 360 is cheaper than the 420
10-17-2008, 07:28 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
What is a "420"?

The manual and specs can be downloaded and compared at Pentax Imaging - Home

10-17-2008, 07:43 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Meredith Quote
After I acquired the 360, I told a friend of mine (which is a life long canon lover) about it and she asked me info about the lens so I emailed her the spec sheet from pentax website. She also asked me how did it compare to her speedlite 420, I told her I didn't know because I don't know much about flashes. Well today she called to say she read the specs and it seems to be either comparable to the canon speedlite 380 or just under the 380 since its so cheap and cheesy. So my question is, Is it compared to the 380? I know the 420 has swivel and the 360 does not but it just gets to me that she is getting erked over a flash. She tries to nail any brand besides canon every chance she gets.
Meredith
There is nothing cheesy about the pentax flash at all - it supports PTTL which I think is better than ETTL. The speedlite 380 may have a longer reach, but only slightly. Just ask your friends to see their pictures taken with the 380; the ones I have seen from my friends (using Canon flash) have over-exposed problem with objects closer to the camera.
10-17-2008, 09:56 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks you guys, she was pissing me off for no reason. Making me feel like I paid too much for the 360. Like I was the fool for paying that price because its so cheap and cheesy and cant touch her speedlite 380. But thanks, I feel better and I agree I have to learn to use it so I can appreciate it more and understand its capabilities. You guys rock!

THanks
Meredith
10-17-2008, 11:33 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
What is a "420"?

The manual and specs can be downloaded and compared at Pentax Imaging - Home
Reading the OP's thread, it's about the Canon 420EX being compared to the Pentax AF360

10-18-2008, 10:34 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by AVANT Quote
Reading the OP's thread, it's about the Canon 420EX being compared to the Pentax AF360
Ah, yes I see that now, thanks. I thoughtit was about the 2 Pentax flashes...
10-19-2008, 08:29 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AVANT Quote
Pentax has better Wireless flash capabilities tho (the 420 can only be used as a slave flash unit). The Pentax also has better Manual Flash capabilities (the 420 requires the user to input a shutter speed and aperture, then the flash calculates, where as the Pentax can find the desired fraction of power - a true manual flash)
True ...I have three 540's and a 360 and use them in manual wireless mode with a radio trigger. I love the control this gives you over lighting ratios. However, I like to use a flash meter ...never could get it right with just using the camera's histogram.