Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-03-2019, 09:12 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Studio Flash Kit - Setup?

All,

I picked up one of these used - Insignia - Studio Flash Kit - which should arrive this week. It says that it has built-in sensors. It appears that what I do is plug these in to a power strip, then they fire as slaves to my internal or hot-shoe flash.

These are the only two strobes / umbrella sets I will have. In addition, I have a Neweer TT560 flash for my hotshoe. Any recommendations for layout? I plan to install some sort of backdrop, perhaps a homemade shower-curtain style.

11-03-2019, 09:32 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jawats Quote
All,

I picked up one of these used - Insignia - Studio Flash Kit - which should arrive this week. It says that it has built-in sensors. It appears that what I do is plug these in to a power strip, then they fire as slaves to my internal or hot-shoe flash.

These are the only two strobes / umbrella sets I will have. In addition, I have a Neweer TT560 flash for my hotshoe. Any recommendations for layout? I plan to install some sort of backdrop, perhaps a homemade shower-curtain style.
I think you will have to use manual flash on your on-camera flash. P-TTL will have the slaves firing on the pre-flash. You might want to invest in a flash meter ?

Here is one article worth reading ..Lighting setups for great portrait photos | Discover Digital Photography
11-03-2019, 09:39 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

It does appear that they are activated to fire via their optical sensors when you fire your camera with a built in flash or external flash (flash in hot shoe of camera). So unless you have a built in flash in your camera, you would most likely use the Neewer flash in your hot shoe. A two light setup is effective to a point when you use one of the lights as your main light to one side, and another flash as your "fill" light on the other side to fill in shadows. If you have a built in flash, you could also have the Neewer flash off camera to for example fill in the background, or use as a hairlight coming from the rear or rear side of the subject. The two light setup would work for a lot of instances, but having the 3 light setup gives you more flexibility, and makes it easier to manage a background or hair light if needed as I mentioned.

Those are just some basic suggestions.
11-03-2019, 10:28 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you have got it at a good price it is a great starter kit. You will probably find that two umbrellas together may not give you the directional light you want but you could easily add a gridded softbox or a reflector to use as key and then use the other umbrella as fill.

11-03-2019, 10:53 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
If you have got it at a good price it is a great starter kit. You will probably find that two umbrellas together may not give you the directional light you want but you could easily add a gridded softbox or a reflector to use as key and then use the other umbrella as fill.
I got it for $45 (including shipping).

Is this an example of a softbox - https://www.adorama.com/fpsb12363.html, or do you mean one with specific grids, like this: https://www.adorama.com/pogrd1236.html?adlclid=ADL-3d37426b-1563-...f-e666a9d88a70 ?
11-03-2019, 11:17 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

I use something kind of similar for my product photography light box. I use a hot shoe mounted flash pointing up to the ceiling. That triggers the 2 slaves on the sides. The flash is in manual mode at minimal power. In rare occasions I may need to point it forward to the item for shadow control and play with the power but 99% of the time it is pointing up. The camera is set in manual mode, usually around 1/100 shutter speed, aperture between f8 and f16 and ISO around 100-200.

Thanks,
11-03-2019, 12:08 PM - 4 Likes   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jawats Quote
I got it for $45 (including shipping).

Is this an example of a softbox - https://www.adorama.com/fpsb12363.html, or do you mean one with specific grids, like this: https://www.adorama.com/pogrd1236.html?adlclid=ADL-3d37426b-1563-...f-e666a9d88a70 ?
Yes, but that is a strip-light intended for very narrow coverage (hair light perhaps). Normal softboxes are square or octogan. The grid is usually just velcro-ed onto the front. Do a google on amazon or such to see the products.

But the point is that even with your two umbrellas and on camera flash you are on your way to well lit subjects. I would go first for a diffuser to use with your on camera flash.

I don't do people portraits (they bite) so my subjects are doggies. This is what you can get with a simple two flash set up. Gridded softbox as key and weaker umbrella as fill.......

11-03-2019, 03:04 PM - 3 Likes   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

so my subjects are doggies
Your doggies appear to sit/pose much better than mine!

We seem to have a somewhat Heisenberg (Uncertainty principle - Wikipedia) relationship: the mere act of trying to observe (=photograph) them causes them to start moving

11-03-2019, 04:13 PM - 3 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AstroDave Quote
trying to observe (=photograph) them causes them to start moving
My cats the same way, charming until the camera comes out, then they have to move,

my subjects are doggies
Very nice shots of the Berner and the Spaniel

Last edited by K-Three; 11-03-2019 at 08:25 PM. Reason: Apologies to Rio
11-03-2019, 04:54 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by K-Three Quote
Very nice shots of the Berner and the Setter,
Harvey says thanks very much, but Rio (the Spaniel) says if you call him a Setter again he will bite you.
11-03-2019, 08:15 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

Below is a shortcut to a 24x36 softbox that comes with the Bowens mount ring. It also is a quick setup type (Glow EZ Lock). The one you pointed out does not come with a mount ring, and though it is less expensive, the one I am referring to as an example is only slightly more expensive. Please note that I do not know if the lighting kit you have would use the type mount ring this softbox utilizes, which is called a "Bowens" type mount ring. You may want to verify what type ring/adapter can be used with your lights prior getting s softbox product. As I said, the shortcut is below.

https://www.adorama.com/glsbez2436.html?CategoryID=251327

Last edited by C_Jones; 11-03-2019 at 08:36 PM.
11-04-2019, 12:01 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yes, but that is a strip-light intended for very narrow coverage (hair light perhaps). Normal softboxes are square or octogan. The grid is usually just velcro-ed onto the front. Do a google on amazon or such to see the products.

But the point is that even with your two umbrellas and on camera flash you are on your way to well lit subjects. I would go first for a diffuser to use with your on camera flash.

I don't do people portraits (they bite) so my subjects are doggies. This is what you can get with a simple two flash set up. Gridded softbox as key and weaker umbrella as fill.......

Thank you! I have a diffuser for my TT506 flash, as it came with the flash. Do you mean a diffuser for my K-3's internal / built-in flash?

---------- Post added 11-04-19 at 12:03 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
Below is a shortcut to a 24x36 softbox that comes with the Bowens mount ring. It also is a quick setup type (Glow EZ Lock). The one you pointed out does not come with a mount ring, and though it is less expensive, the one I am referring to as an example is only slightly more expensive. Please note that I do not know if the lighting kit you have would use the type mount ring this softbox utilizes, which is called a "Bowens" type mount ring. You may want to verify what type ring/adapter can be used with your lights prior getting s softbox product. As I said, the shortcut is below.

https://www.adorama.com/glsbez2436.html?CategoryID=251327
I would also need a tripod, and potentially one of these - Amazon.com : Godox S-type Bracket Bowens Mount Holder for Speedlite Flash Snoot Softbox Beauty Dish Reflector Umbrella : Camera & Photo - to hold a flash, no?
11-04-2019, 05:56 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Yes, the Godox S type bracket would be to hold the regular flash. I have four of them and they are great for using flash. The head of the flash is held by it very well. The one you listed is the one with the Bowens mount, which is the one to get that will use Bowens mount light modifiers (softboxes and other), which are very common, and it also has a hole that allows for the use of umbrellas with your flash. That is an excellent bracket for flash and will mount on top of regular light stands.

In reference to tripods and tripod heads, I would recommend the Sirui brand. I have two of their tripods and one of their tripod heads. The tripod head is called a ball head type. For example, one of my tripods is the Sirui T2005X, and the tripod head I have is the Sirui K-20X.

Last edited by C_Jones; 11-04-2019 at 06:52 PM.