Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
11-07-2019, 12:45 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Second Curtain with Godox AD200/Xpro-P/XT2

Has anyone been successful in getting this to work?

We all know that the K-1 lacks second curtain mode within the camera body, but even with the KP that supports it I am not getting any success. Is the second trailing curtain in the KP only working for the inbuilt flash? I'll have to try with another Pentax flash.

It doesn't look like it's possible with either a Xpro or X2T to get any kind of delay happening. I even tried placing the V6ii on top of the camera first and then stacking the Xpro on top, and set the V6ii to have a delay, but the Xpro still fires first...

Anyone?

TIA

BB

Edit: tested the KP with the AF36FGZII, I can get trail curtain but only in P-TTL. That sucks... also its needed to be activated on the flash, setting it in the camera body does nothing, so I am concluding that the in camera body selection of second curtain in the KP is for pop up flash only... great... :/

Edit Edit: Mark as solved. F4 in the AD200 Menu is a delay that you can use.

Last edited by BruceBanner; 11-07-2019 at 01:42 AM.
11-10-2019, 09:55 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
It doesn't look like it's possible with either a Xpro or X2T to get any kind of delay happening.
Yes, the (very small) delays they support are meant for fine-tuning HyperSync, not for what you have in mind.

tested the KP with the AF36FGZII, I can get trail curtain but only in P-TTL.
Yep, second-curtain flash triggering is a P-TTL feature and not available outside of P-TTL. Too bad, I say, but it doesn't make a difference.

Mark as solved. F4 in the AD200 Menu is a delay that you can use.
That's exactly what I would have proposed as a solution.

This workaround sucks if you have multiple lights that you all want to fire with the same delay (e.g., when changing the shutter speed) and even when using only one light it is still less convenient than just changing a value on the trigger rather than walking between camera and light all the time, but at least there is some form of workaround.
11-10-2019, 12:27 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Yes, the (very small) delays they support are meant for fine-tuning HyperSync, not for what you have in mind.

Yep, second-curtain flash triggering is a P-TTL feature and not available outside of P-TTL. Too bad, I say, but it doesn't make a difference.

That's exactly what I would have proposed as a solution.

This workaround sucks if you have multiple lights that you all want to fire with the same delay (e.g., when changing the shutter speed) and even when using only one light it is still less convenient than just changing a value on the trigger rather than walking between camera and light all the time, but at least there is some form of workaround.
I had a fun cosplay shoot weekend thing and so I was having lots of fun trying different things out and pushing my own limits in terms of understanding of some of my gear as well as possibly pushing my limits of actual gear. For example I couldn't get any consistency with second curtain (or rather the fake one where we are manually adding a delay in the flashes/triggers) when combining my AD200's with Cactus. I stacked the triggers and set the delay in the V6ii and manually set the delay in AD200's, but it wasn't working too well.

Separate from second curtain stuff, I also noted that when using manual focus glass with the Godox X2T trigger I was getting no flash firing at all from the AD200 in Av or Manual mode unless I selected TTL only on the trigger and not manual mode. Isn't that a bit odd or is that to be expected? I was expecting to be capped at 1/200, but I still thought manual mode for flash power would be a go... seemed not
11-10-2019, 10:21 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

I also noted that when using manual focus glass with the Godox X2T trigger I was getting no flash firing at all from the AD200 in Av or Manual mode unless I selected TTL only on the trigger and not manual mode. Isn't that a bit odd or is that to be expected?
Seems like an unnecessary limitation caused by the X2-T.

Obviously P-TTL features such as automatic exposure or HSS are not available in the Pentax system when a manual lens is used. However, the use of a manual lens shouldn't stop the trigger from emulating a regular (non-P-TTL) flash and send power level commands to flashes regardless of whether the group is in TTL or M mode.

I'm not 100% certain about the V6II firmware variants right now but I'm pretty sure that at least the V6 provides manual power level control when a manual lens is attached to the camera.

11-11-2019, 05:20 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Separate from second curtain stuff, I also noted that when using manual focus glass with the Godox X2T trigger I was getting no flash firing at all from the AD200 in Av or Manual mode unless I selected TTL only on the trigger and not manual mode. Isn't that a bit odd or is that to be expected? I was expecting to be capped at 1/200, but I still thought manual mode for flash power would be a go... seemed not
It's the same with the XPro, but you can use some tricks if you want Manual control up to 1/200 with old K/M lenses.

* use a non Pentax Godox trigger (XProC, XT32C...)
* use the camera's sync port, and a SYNC to 3.5mm cable. You can trigger with the camera's sync signal, instead of using the normal camera's shoe.
* there are some shoes that you can put on top of your camera that only allow the central pin signal, so you put such shoe on your camera, and then the X2T stacked
* use some paper, tape... and cover all the X2T pin's but the central one.
* I'm quite sure that stacking the X2T on top of the Cactus V6II will work too

Regards.
11-11-2019, 02:15 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by morenjavi Quote
It's the same with the XPro, but you can use some tricks if you want Manual control up to 1/200 with old K/M lenses.

* use a non Pentax Godox trigger (XProC, XT32C...)
* use the camera's sync port, and a SYNC to 3.5mm cable. You can trigger with the camera's sync signal, instead of using the normal camera's shoe.
* there are some shoes that you can put on top of your camera that only allow the central pin signal, so you put such shoe on your camera, and then the X2T stacked
* use some paper, tape... and cover all the X2T pin's but the central one.
* I'm quite sure that stacking the X2T on top of the Cactus V6II will work too

Regards.
Thanks. So what I was trying to do on the weekend was use the K-1 with a Lensbaby lens (like a Twist 60 or Burnside 35) and place a X2T on top of the K-1 and then the EC200 head on that (and of course running to an AD200). This gave the perfect height to pass through my Vello Ringbox Softbox;

So... if this was the intention again, and I was on location doing various shoots and different set ups (not too keen to have to get the tape out each time etc, and needed all the pins for some other set ups), what would you recommend be the easiest solution?

I have heard the sync cable is annoying, the little screw thing a risk to lose and there goes your K-1's WR ability! I'm guessing the adapter with the single pin might work? Have you a link to such an adapter? I think height wise (into the ringbox) I might get away with it...

I think the v6ii>X2T>EC200 is perhaps pushing it... It's good to know this might work for those set ups without Ringbox (like normal off camera softboxes etc) and I'll test and report back. I guess I'm looking for the lowest profile single pin adapter.
11-11-2019, 02:47 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

So... if this was the intention again, and I was on location doing various shoots and different set ups (not too keen to have to get the tape out each time etc, and needed all the pins for some other set ups), what would you recommend be the easiest solution?I have heard the sync cable is annoying, the little screw thing a risk to lose and there goes your K-1's WR ability! I'm guessing the adapter with the single pin might work? Have you a link to such an adapter? I think height wise (into the ringbox) I might get away with it...I think the v6ii>X2T>EC200 is perhaps pushing it... It's good to know this might work for those set ups without Ringbox (like normal off camera softboxes etc) and I'll test and report back. I guess I'm looking for the lowest profile single pin adapter.
The problem with the sync cable is that you need to put the trigger in some place... like a flash bracket. But you could use a cold shoe like in this image:

I used the sync cable a lot, exactly the cable you see on the above image. Yes, it's not the most reliable connection but I never missed a shot.

About the shoe with the central pin, there is info in this post, with a link to amazon: LINK

I think a good solution is to stack the godox trigger on the V6II. You don't need to buy anything. I checked it a minute ago and worked. I configured the V6II as PENTAX camera & MANUAL FLASH (old multibrand firm). I used a M200 lens and worked.

11-11-2019, 06:51 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The problem with the sync cable is that you need to put the trigger in some place... like a flash bracket. But you could use a cold shoe like in this image:

I used the sync cable a lot, exactly the cable you see on the above image. Yes, it's not the most reliable connection but I never missed a shot.

About the shoe with the central pin, there is info in this post, with a link to amazon: LINK

I think a good solution is to stack the godox trigger on the V6II. You don't need to buy anything. I checked it a minute ago and worked. I configured the V6II as PENTAX camera & MANUAL FLASH (old multibrand firm). I used a M200 lens and worked.
Cool, thanks for that. The reason I'm not so gung ho (also) for the sync cable is when using the ringbox it's a tough squeeze anyway, having cables where you want your hand to reach down past to control manual focus is also a nut doer. The issue with the V6ii is I worry my tower is getting too tall (K-1>v6ii>X2T>EC200) and then into the entrance of the softbox could be tight, or worse straining/bending the hot shoe connections. The v6ii is a great idea for other softbox stuff tho and will get to trying that out soon.

The amazon link for the single pin hotshoe won't ship to oz, but it's also still quite tall, is there no single pin adapter out there that has low profile? <goes to google B&H website...>
11-12-2019, 01:46 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

The amazon link for the single pin hotshoe won't ship to oz, but it's also still quite tall, is there no single pin adapter out there that has low profile?
I don't know about other adapter with lower profile. You could go the DIY route: get some plastic or other thin and resistant material, cut a square with a central hole, put the plastic on your camera's shoe, so only the central pin is accesible, then you can put your XT2. It's easy (and cheap) to check if it works for you.
11-12-2019, 02:48 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I don't know about other adapter with lower profile. You could go the DIY route: get some plastic or other thin and resistant material, cut a square with a central hole, put the plastic on your camera's shoe, so only the central pin is accesible, then you can put your XT2. It's easy (and cheap) to check if it works for you.
Ok I will try that.
11-13-2019, 06:19 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I tested the V6ii+Xpro-P with a lensbaby (manual focus) last night quickly. This shot was for our ballet sponsor who wanted a pic of my kid with her distinction award/exam results for their social media page. Wasn't sure how to approach the shot so I just whacked on the Burnside 35 and used off camera flash (80cm softbox, no grid + Ad200 just fresnel head still). Think it came out ok;

So yeah, that worked fine, I didn't have to do anything, I'm using Pentax firmware (pretty up to date, might not be latest version but close to I imagine) on the V6ii, just put that on the K-1 and then the Xpro-P on top of that and I could now get full manual control over the AD200 rather than nothing and forced having to use it in TTL mode.

I'll have to have a think about the round ringflash softbox thing, maybe use some cloth tape or something.
11-14-2019, 02:33 AM   #12
Pentaxian

So yeah, that worked fine, I didn't have to do anything, I'm using Pentax firmware (pretty up to date, might not be latest version but close to I imagine) on the V6ii, just put that on the K-1 and then the Xpro-P on top of that and I could now get full manual control over the AD200 rather than nothing and forced having to use it in TTL mode.
It's obvious that you are a proud father . Cool, thanks for sharing.