Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2019, 04:10 AM   #1
dewolf

K-3 and P TTL vs TTL

I am at a loss trying to determine which would be good for a " fill flash " for outdoor Macro shooting.
In Florida we usually have lots of sunlight, but in the leafy structures of a plant there are lots of shadow areas
and I would like a little more light in there.
I have mad a few DIY diffusers, and so far the best I have found was using a Godox TT600 speedlight with a Altura Photo Softbox Flash Diffuser.
The Godox is more than powerful enough, and the softbox does a great job of spreading out the light. It does however scare more than a few subjects away
because of its size. It is also difficult to get into tight places in shrubbery.

Yesterday I purchased a Godox ML-150 ring flash, certainly not as powerful as the speedlight, but as with the speedlight you can only shoot at 1/180ths sec, and limited in having to adjust light power manualy.

I know some TTL or perhaps P-TTL use a pre flash to determine exposure , which may not be benificial to me.
Before shelling out the big bucks for a flash that can talk to the camera I have several questions.

1. will a dedicated TTL flash allow me to shoot a little faster than 1/180
2. will it allow me to use AV mode rather than X sync mode ?
3 would Xeon be better than LED ?

Please keep answers as simple as you can. I have limited understanding of the inner technical things these days as 4 spinal surgeries have left me on a lot
of pain meds and nerve blockers lol, I get befuddled easily. But Photography is the love of my life and I would so like to get back into it again.
I can not afford the $400 price range flashes, but if there is a tried and proven unit out there that could help
I would VERY much appreciate any information.
Thanks to you all for any help you can provide.
My apologies for stupid questions, and for having possibly missed an answer burried somewhere in these threads.

11-07-2019, 04:48 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I bought a used Pentax AF360 (the first one) that does P-TTL and also works with higher speeds.

I use it primarily for outdoor fill, and it’s great for that.

I think I paid about $75 from KEH a year or so ago.

-Eric
11-07-2019, 06:38 AM   #3
dewolf

Thanks, I will keep that one in mind. much appreciated. I can afford about $150.00
11-07-2019, 07:03 AM   #4
Pentaxian

For what your trying to do your much better off purchasing one of the wireless trigger systems that supports HSS such as the Cactus V6ii. With that you'll be able to control your flash output much better then trying to use a camera fired wireless pttl flash in sunlight.. Check Adorama, B&H or KEH you might pick up some for around your budget used.

11-07-2019, 08:28 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
I bought a used Pentax AF360 (the first one) that does P-TTL and also works with higher speeds.

I use it primarily for outdoor fill, and it’s great for that.

I think I paid about $75 from KEH a year or so ago.

-Eric
I have one for sale in the marketplace currently for $65!

The Godox system flashes are also good for this.
11-07-2019, 08:48 AM - 1 Like   #6
dewolf

QuoteOriginally posted by dewolf Quote
Thanks, I will keep that one in mind. much appreciated. I can afford about $150.00
wouldnt that mean that I would have to have a non generic more dedicated flash other than the one that works on all cameras ?

---------- Post added 11-07-19 at 10:52 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jake14mw Quote
I have one for sale in the marketplace currently for $65!

The Godox system flashes are also good for this.
If I had not just purchased this ring flash and filled the car with petrol I would buy it now lol, alas my next SSI check wont be here till Dec
But I will keep a look out for another when the time comes. I would much rather use Pentax than anything else.
11-07-2019, 11:50 AM   #7

The K-3 doesn't support TTL so you'd have to go with P-TTL flashes.

11-07-2019, 12:17 PM   #8
dewolf

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
The K-3 doesn't support TTL so you'd have to go with P-TTL flashes.
well that sucks. The pre flash will scare off many subjects, heck even the focus assist light does that sometimes.
Guess I will stay with manual flash then.
Thanks
11-07-2019, 07:04 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
(A)uto-thyristor mode?

Well you can shoot in (A) mode with the FGZ560 Mark I not II if you don't want pre-flash. (A) mode is also kind of auto-exposure so its not pure manual.

There are older flashes with (A) that are likely very cheap on eBay. I have a Nikon SB-28 or SB-25 that is useful for this type of purpose and works with a K3. If you go down this path just do your research to buy the correct flash for your needs. A 2nd hand Pentax FGZ560 would be good for this as you still have a P-TTL when you need it and (A)uto-thyristor mode when you want to use that. Note the Mark II has lost (A) mode.

Howie Be
11-19-2019, 07:55 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I use a manual (i.e. 1/32) or auto flash (i.e. 200iso f11) flash setting on af360fgz at sync speed 1/180 for macro.....this flash is very good at freezing action by flash...no preflash to jump a critter....

having a higher than x-sync (1/180) requires the HSS (high speed sync) to kick in (which would a p-ttl flash)...preflash still required and oddly enough flash duration is much longer during high speed sync....
11-20-2019, 03:44 AM   #11
dewolf

QuoteOriginally posted by Aaron28 Quote
I use a manual (i.e. 1/32) or auto flash (i.e. 200iso f11) flash setting on af360fgz at sync speed 1/180 for macro.....this flash is very good at freezing action by flash...no preflash to jump a critter....

having a higher than x-sync (1/180) requires the HSS (high speed sync) to kick in (which would a p-ttl flash)...preflash still required and oddly enough flash duration is much longer during high speed sync....
I decided manual was th way to go. I am now using a flash at 128 or 64. iso 320 at 1/180. works fine
thanks
11-20-2019, 04:25 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I decided manual was th way to go. I am now using a flash at 128 or 64. iso 320 at 1/180. works fine
thanks
Good to know. Thanks
11-20-2019, 04:17 PM   #13
Pentaxian

works fine
terrific! happy shooting!
11-20-2019, 05:58 PM   #14
dewolf

Thanks to all.
I did soem research on TTL flashes and found the manual suits my needs better and far less expensive.
Using the Godox flash at 1/128 power level gives me a speed of 1/20,000. works well thus far.

some attempts on my macro album.
The only way I know to post the link is just paste it here

dewolf's Album: macro - PentaxForums.com

or maybe

dewolf's Album: macro - PentaxForums.com

I am not to savvy with the working of the html here
11-22-2019, 06:47 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Congratulations, very nice pictures.

Best regards,