Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Days Ago   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Will the Pentax AF360II or AF540II do wireless PTL with the original AF540?

Looking for a second wireless P-TTL flash to go along with my AF540. Do the newer generation Pentax flash work with first generation units?

I used the built in trigger flash a lot on the K-7 and truly miss not having it on the K-1.
Thanks,
barondla

2 Days Ago - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Looking for a second wireless P-TTL flash to go along with my AF540. Do the newer generation Pentax flash work with first generation units?
Yes they do. You can use one to trigger the other in wireless (optical) mode. The slave can work with the master in P-TTL or simple dumb slave mode. The choice is yours.

For optimum flexibility you would do better to go down the wireless radio route however.
2 Days Ago   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Yes they do. You can use one to trigger the other in wireless (optical) mode. The slave can work with the master in P-TTL or simple dumb slave mode. The choice is yours.

For optimum flexibility you would do better to go down the wireless radio route however.
For studio agree. Primarily use multiple flash for macro. Already having to carry an extra flash vs K-7. Radio means even more junk to carry out in the field. Not sure all the modes will work, and an extra level of 3rd party menus are added to the mix. Don't see much benefit for macro photography.
Thanks,
barondla
2 Days Ago   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Primarily use multiple flash for macro
Yes I understand. If your distances are close you dont need the radio.

2 Days Ago   #5
Pentaxian

That's certainly the impression I have of how a lot of people are thinking on PF.

My only issue with optical P-TTL on the K3 is the slight delay between pressing the shutter button and the shot being taken when triggering an off-camera flash using the built-in. That would presumably disappear with radio. It doesn't seem to be an issue on the K1 (with my Pentax or Metz flash on the hotshot and the other placed remotely). So I'm not feeling a great need to go down the Cactus or Godox route.

Am I missing the point? Why is radio, with its extra trigger unit, the way to go?
2 Days Ago   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
My only issue with optical P-TTL on the K3 is the slight delay between pressing the shutter button and the shot being taken when triggering an off-camera flash using the built-in. That would presumably disappear with radio.
There should be no delay. You trigger the shutter, which triggers the Master flash, which triggers the slave. Radio would be the same timescale

Am I missing the point? Why is radio, with its extra trigger unit, the way to go?
Line of sight and distance and ambient light levels are no longer a barrier. With optical triggering these can be an issue. With radio they are not.

If you do all your slave work at close distance in less than bright conditions then optical will work fine for you.
2 Days Ago   #7
Pentaxian

There should be no delay. You trigger the shutter, which triggers the Master flash, which triggers the slave.
Agreed, there should be no delay. But there is.
2 Days Ago   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Agreed, there should be no delay. But there is.
Sorry , but I am not reading through a multi page 6 year old post to find out what your problem is.

With the K1 and radio triggers there is no delay. You will do better to start a new thread if you have an issue.

2 Days Ago   #9
Pentaxian

Sorry , but I am not reading through a multi page 6 year old post to find out what your problem is.

With the K1 and radio triggers there is no delay. You will do better to start a new thread if you have an issue.
I'm not asking for any help on the delay issue; it's a well known "feature" of the K3. I was just correcting your assertion that there is no delay.
2 Days Ago   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My assertion was correct. With the K1 there is no delay