Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 19 Likes Search this Thread
11-11-2019, 10:22 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What is smallest P-TTL flash that will wirelessly fire Pentax AF540 flash?

On the K-1 I miss the pop up flash. Used it often to wirelessly set off the AF540. Don't think Pentax makes a trigger unit. So what is the smallest flash that will do this in P-TTL? Not sure if 3rd party P-TTL flashes will work the AF540? This is for macro use so not interested in radio slaves.

Thanks,
barondla

11-11-2019, 10:44 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'll have to look back at my old posts. There are very few small p-ttl master capable flashes.
11-11-2019, 10:44 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Metz 26 AF-2 is quite small and the datasheet says it's P-TTL.

I think the AF201 is the smallest 1st party flash available to buy new.

Last edited by veato; 11-11-2019 at 10:45 AM. Reason: typo
11-11-2019, 10:52 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
So what is the smallest flash that will do this in P-TTL?
In other words, the smallest P-TTL flash capable of acting as master/controller. The short answer is an AF360FGZ as far as Pentax-brand goes. Whether there is third-party support would require a bit of search filtering on the B&H or other online store Web site.

Hasn't this already been covered?

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/125-flashes-lighting-studio/390035-small...ash-p-ttl.html

Metz M400?

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-11-2019 at 11:00 AM.
11-11-2019, 11:01 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by veato Quote

I think the AF201 is the smallest 1st party flash available to buy new.
The 201 doesn't work as a master.

Last edited by UncleVanya; 11-14-2019 at 02:33 PM.
11-11-2019, 11:08 AM - 1 Like   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

So what is the smallest flash that will do this in P-TTL?
Alternatively, the smallest solution may not be a flash. Have you considered a wired option such as the Vello P-TTL unit linked below?

Vello Off-Camera TTL Flash Cord for Pentax Cameras (3') OCS-P3

Unless you are needing contribution from a hot-shoe mounted flash (master), this may suit your purpose.

Steve

(...have used similar for product and tabletop work balancing off-camera P-TTL against optical-triggered manual speedlights as fill...)

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-11-2019 at 11:14 AM.
11-11-2019, 11:23 AM - 1 Like   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by veato Quote
The Metz documentation indicates P-TTL Slave only.

Steve

11-11-2019, 01:28 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Have P-TTL cord. Works fine with a single flash. Need 2nd flash now. One in front of subject, the other behind, aimed at background. Shooting mostly outdoor bug/flower macros and can't have wire interfering with subject. Was hoping there was a solution smaller than AF360.
Thanks,
barondla
11-11-2019, 01:49 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Have P-TTL cord. Works fine with a single flash. Need 2nd flash now. One in front of subject, the other behind, aimed at background. Shooting mostly outdoor bug/flower macros and can't have wire interfering with subject. Was hoping there was a solution smaller than AF360.
Thanks,
barondla
In a situation like that I don't think p-ttl metering will help. If the lights aren't all on the same subject the results might vary too much. Using the older style cactus v6 with pseudo manual control would be very flexible and I would simple get a pair of triggers (one on camera, and one on the Af540) and the cactus flash or just two triggers and a smaller flash on the cactus on camera. With the larger cactus is mount it off camera and the Pentax flash as well place them where you want without the flash bulk on the body and independently adjust each flash output.
11-11-2019, 02:03 PM - 1 Like   #10

The Metz M400 will work as a master or controller flash and is a little more compact than the Pentax AF360.
11-11-2019, 05:20 PM - 1 Like   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Have P-TTL cord. Works fine with a single flash. Need 2nd flash now. One in front of subject, the other behind, aimed at background. Shooting mostly outdoor bug/flower macros and can't have wire interfering with subject.
What you describe is very close to what I have done with a P-TTL cord and a second flash as manual slave to the off-camera P-TTL unit. The cord is never in the frame (is at base of P-TTL flash) and the second flash is just along for the ride.

Steve
11-11-2019, 06:38 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Hasn't this already been covered?
Steve
Many times. All those small flashes are not wireless masters. Too bad, really it would be nice.....

Last edited by wstruth; 11-11-2019 at 06:44 PM.
11-11-2019, 07:59 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
You may want to consider the Godox TT350P flash for Pentax with TTL. It is small and
you could utilize it to optically trigger other flashes off camera. As was said, the Pentax AF360FGZ will act as a TTL unit. The Yongnuo YN585EX for Pentax also has TTL (P-TTL). Both will also fire an off camera flash optically. A shortcut to the Godox (small unit) is below. The Godox unit has radio capabilities also (beside acting as an optical trigger), in case you ever decided to invest in more Godox lighting.
Neither model is capable of acting as P-TTL optical master or controller (the OP's firm requirement). Wireless control with both models is done by integration with the brand's RF wireless system. That said, the Godox TT350P (or Flashpoint version) would be my first choice as a small on-camera flash if I were to purchase a K-1 or the upcoming K-nu.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-11-2019 at 08:06 PM. Reason: completeness
11-11-2019, 08:30 PM   #14
Pentaxian

The Godox TT350P for Pentax seems to have some nice features for a small flash, including the TTL and the radio transmitter capability which can be used with some other Godox lighting units (for example, AD200 and AD600). It can also be used with the XProP on camera transmitter. I know the original post mentions optical wireless only, but just in case, the TT350P does have valuable features if a user is possibly interested in a small on camera flash.

"The AF360FGZ can be used interchangeably with AF540FGZ units for wireless mode photography." (quote from Pentax AF540FGZ manual, page 38)

Both AF540FGZ and AF360FGZ units are capable of wireless TTL. Either can be used as Master, Controller, or Slave interchangeably.

If a user wants to fire for example the AF540FGZ off camera without P-TTL, the user could set the AF540FGZ to "Slave 2" (SL2) mode, which would allow a primary (single) burst of light to activate the flash.

Last edited by C_Jones; 11-11-2019 at 09:45 PM.
11-11-2019, 10:07 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Alternatively, the smallest solution may not be a flash. Have you considered a wired option such as the Vello P-TTL unit linked below?

Vello Off-Camera TTL Flash Cord for Pentax Cameras (3') OCS-P3

Unless you are needing contribution from a hot-shoe mounted flash (master), this may suit your purpose.

Steve

(...have used similar for product and tabletop work balancing off-camera P-TTL against optical-triggered manual speedlights as fill...)
I use this for macro. It's great for it. It only let's the flash be about 1.5' away because of the coil but it also keeps the cord from dangling much.
Great handheld or on a bracket but not for flash on a stand.