Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 19 Likes Search this Thread
11-12-2019, 03:40 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Maybe Godox TT350 is the smallest flash with wireless triggering.

11-12-2019, 04:05 AM   #17
pid
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
why you dont use 2 Cactus V6II Triggers? You will be free to use any flash and brand to be controlled wireless P-TTL or manual, don't need necessarily a masterflash to control your AF 540FGZ and you also can put a flash directly on the transceiver on your body if you want or need. Best thing, the Cactus V6II is smaller than every flash could be.
11-12-2019, 06:23 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
If a user wants to fire for example the AF540FGZ off camera without P-TTL, the user could set the AF540FGZ to "Slave 2" (SL2) mode, which would allow a primary (single) burst of light to activate the flash.
This mode requires setting flash power manually and doesn't work reliably if the units can't "see" each other. It is otherwise a reasonable option.
11-12-2019, 07:01 PM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

In the specs for the Yongnuo YN585EX for Pentax, on the Yongnuo site, the following is stated, in case you are interested: "Compatible with Pentax P-TTL
A YN585EX supports receiving wireless signal from the master unit of AF-360FGZ, AF540FGZ II and other Pentax cameras. It also supports 4 channels, off-camera TTL and manual flash."

If you contacted the Yongnuo customer service, they may be able to advise you of the capabilities of using the YN585EX for Pentax with the Pentax AF540FGZ. Below is a shortcut to the YN585EX for Pentax listing on the Yongnuo USA site.

585ex Pentax | Yongnuo USA

Last edited by C_Jones; 11-12-2019 at 07:13 PM.
11-12-2019, 08:02 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In the specs for the Yongnuo YN585EX for Pentax, on the Yongnuo site, the following is stated, in case you are interested: "Compatible with Pentax P-TTL
A YN585EX supports receiving wireless signal from the master unit of AF-360FGZ, AF540FGZ II and other Pentax cameras. It also supports 4 channels, off-camera TTL and manual flash."

If you contacted the Yongnuo customer service, they may be able to advise you of the capabilities of using the YN585EX for Pentax with the Pentax AF540FGZ. Below is a shortcut to the YN585EX for Pentax listing on the Yongnuo USA site.

585ex Pentax | Yongnuo USA
That seems to suggest receive/slave not transmit/master.
11-12-2019, 08:07 PM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

I use the yn585ex with 360 fgz for macro. Pttl is fine but I usually use the vello cord and a bracket as it's easier. Then again for macro since your minimum focus distance is constant, manual is as easy really. A slave control is fine.
11-12-2019, 09:26 PM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
That seems to suggest receive/slave not transmit/master.
In the specs for the YN585EX it also lists this: "Advance option's function,Master/Slave function". I suppose the Yongnuo customer service could provide the definition of what that specifies.

Last edited by C_Jones; 11-12-2019 at 09:47 PM.
11-12-2019, 09:35 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In the specs for the YN585EX it also lists this: "Advance option's function,Master/Slave function". I suppose the Yongnuo customer service could provide the definition of what that specifies.
They appear to like to confuse!
11-12-2019, 09:49 PM   #24
Pentaxian

On page 2 of the YN585EX for Pentax manual it states:
"COMPATIBLE WITH P's WIRELESS FLASHING SYSTEM
One YN585EX can receive the wireless signal from AF360FGZ, AF540FGZ II, and built in flash of Pentax master units, supports 4 channels,, achieves off-camera TTL and Manual flash."
11-12-2019, 09:49 PM   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

"Master/Slave" usually means optical triggering of one of more non-TTL slaves. If the manual provides instructions on how to do Master/Controller P-TTL, then it is capable of relaying a P-TTL exposure. Third-party flash capable of being P-TTL slave to a Master/Controller are not uncommon. The ability to control a second P-TTL flash is much more rare. To the best of my knowledge and available documentation from Yonguo, the YN585EX does not support Master/Controller, but is able to take the role of P-TTL Slave (SP mode on the flash).

Steve
11-12-2019, 09:56 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
They appear to like to confuse!
It may be that the master/slave function that is stated is for the YN585EX acting as slave for a Pentax camera, but as I mentioned, I suppose the Yongnuo customer service (or someone testing) would know exactly what its capabilities are.

[/

Last edited by C_Jones; 11-12-2019 at 10:11 PM.
11-13-2019, 12:03 AM - 1 Like   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

It may be that the master/slave function that is stated is for the YN585EX acting as slave for a Pentax camera, but as I mentioned, I suppose the Yongnuo customer service (or someone testing) would know exactly what its capabilities are.
Either that or simply consult the manual. According to the YN585EX manual, it supports the following:
  • Optical master : capable of providing simple optical trigger (relay) to one or more compatible manual flash
  • Optical slave (S1) : capable of accepting an optical trigger signal to fire immediately at a preset intensity
  • Optical slave (s2) : capable of ignoring a pre-flash and accepting a second main flash as optical trigger to fire at a preset intensity
  • Optical slave (SP) : capable of being controlled as a P-TTL slave from a P-TTL camera-mounted or hard-wired master or controller on any of four Pentax optical wireless channels
The YN5895EX in base form is not designed to function as camera-mounted or hard-wired P-TTL master or controller (the topic of this thread). No firmware updates have been issued that include any expansion of its optical wireless capabilities either.

It is a cool flash and good value, but simply is not able to control a remote P-TTL flash. If it were, users on this site would be all over it as the sole low price flash capable of that trick and threads of this sort would be very short. As it is, the short answer is that the Metz M400 is the entry point price-wise for full P-TTL optical wireless support (Master/Controller/Slave). At present, Metz is the only third-party maker that claims full support for P-TTL on/off-camera optical wireless.

That does not mean there are not other ways to do remote P-TTL, only that one cannot drive a Pentax-brand flash to do so using its native optical protocol using any flash currently available new, other than Pentax or Metz product.

Steve

(...went over this ground a year or so ago and decided it is infinitely easier to use RF wireless and manual speedlights for most multi-flash setups...)
11-13-2019, 12:13 AM   #28
Pentaxian

The yn585ex is not a master. The 540 would have to be on camera.
If a small flash on camera to trigger off camera flash in pttl mode the cactus v6ii is good. If you need fill for macro a bounce card is great. On camera flash is partly blocked by the lens anyway.
11-13-2019, 12:16 AM - 2 Likes   #29
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pid Quote
why you dont use 2 Cactus V6II Triggers? You will be free to use any flash and brand to be controlled wireless P-TTL or manual, don't need necessarily a masterflash to control your AF 540FGZ and you also can put a flash directly on the transceiver on your body if you want or need. Best thing, the Cactus V6II is smaller than every flash could be.
Price might be a consideration as might also be complexity. One of the strong points of my K-3 is the ease of setting up simple quick and dirty two or three flash setups for close-up product or macro photography. The built-in flash works like a charm to coordinate the remotes, either balanced in or as a non-contributing controller with everything fitting in one's usual bag.

Steve
11-13-2019, 03:41 PM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
(...went over this ground a year or so ago and decided it is infinitely easier to use RF wireless and manual speedlights for most multi-flash setups...)
Using my speedlights in Manual mode via my Cactus V5 units has proven effective for me when I want to use them, and I like the idea in most instances that I have full control over the light output (using Manual) instead of just depending on the TTL. If on the move, the TTL can really be handy, and in most cases it yields quality image lighting.