Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2019, 02:10 AM   #1

Portable Flash System for Portraits - Australia Road Trip

Hello all,

I am planning to make a 5 week outback trip in Australia in May 2019. I wish to make close up and environmental portraits of interesting people I meet in the outback. I wish to use the Pentax 645Z with 90 mm f/2.8 SR lens (and 150mm f/3.5 manual focus lens). Alternatively, I might carry Pentax K1 with FA 77mm Ltd lens. As of now, I own Canon Speedlite 580 EX ii and four Cactus V5 transmitter-receiver units. I obviously cannot use the Canon flash on the Pentax in TTL mode.

I request advice of the esteemed members to help me assemble a "portable" flash system for my purpose. I need a good on camera flash compatible with both the 645z and the K1 in TTL mode, which will act as the master flash and fire the Canon flash remotely as the slave. I also need a portable reflector. Further I need two lightweight stands (which can go in the check in luggage) - one to hold the slave Canon flash and another to hold the reflector. I should perhaps carry a black background for close up portraits, which also needs to be put up using a lightweight stand.

Please recommend available options including Godox flash units. Links to items which can be purchased on Amazon etc either in US or in Australia would be most useful.

Regards.

11-12-2019, 03:33 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I would leave the Canon 580 EX II at home and get two Metz 58 AF-2. The Godox TT685 - wchi would be cheap and good - in theory exists with Pentax mount, but I never seen any instances selling. Another option is to get two cactus V6II transmitters which can do cross-brand TTL.
The Pentax 540 FGZ II is also an option, but it's interface makes it a very bad and fustrating flash in my opinion.
11-12-2019, 04:02 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 08amczb Quote
I would leave the Canon 580 EX II at home and get two Metz 58 AF-2. The Godox TT685 - wchi would be cheap and good - in theory exists with Pentax mount, but I never seen any instances selling. Another option is to get two cactus V6II transmitters which can do cross-brand TTL.
The Pentax 540 FGZ II is also an option, but it's interface makes it a very bad and fustrating flash in my opinion.
Thank you @08amczb.

I would like to use the equipment which I already own, unless using it is a non-starter because of complexity or any other issues. As a hobbyist, I have no choice but to optimally use what I already own.

Anyway, will the Metz 58 AF-2 give on camera TTL functionality on both Pentax bodies? Can one of the two be used as a master and another as a slave?

Also, can the Cactus V5 not be good enough? What do they lack in the second option you have mentioned?

What about Godox V1P? Can I use it as a master flash which will directly fire the Canon flash as slave while using or not using the Cactus units?
11-12-2019, 04:32 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by leonine Quote
Anyway, will the Metz 58 AF-2 give on camera TTL functionality on both Pentax bodies? Can one of the two be used as a master and another as a slave?
Yes, Yes

Also, can the Cactus V5 not be good enough?
I don't know, I only know the V6 and V6II can do what you want.

What do they lack in the second option you have mentioned?
The 540 FGZ II has only buttons and a dial, no switches. It does not remember any settings except, the custom functions. So you should enable HSS and select the desired mode and optionally set the zoom and FEC/strength after every time switching it on. There is no option to on the pentax bodeies to do not use the flash, so you have to turn it off sometimes and then set everything again from scratch. The menu with the custom settings doesn't understandable without the manual. The head does not turn back in both directions. I had one FGZ 540 II and I hated it...

What about Godox V1P?
Godox V1 is a good option too. It has it's own Li-ion accu so you can't get batteries for it anywhere and It's not so portable. (Although not worse then the 645Z ) It may trigger the canon flash if that has an optical slave mode, it won't work with TTL mode.

11-12-2019, 05:35 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thank you @08amczb for your detailed inputs.

I am confused about the Godox V1P though. I read somewhere that it supports TTL for Pentax.
11-12-2019, 06:01 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I am confused about the Godox V1P though. I read somewhere that it supports TTL for Pentax.
Yes it supports P-TTL, but it can't trigger the Canon flash in P-TTL mode. Now I searched for the Canon's capabilities: it can't be triggered by any Pentax compatible flash: Re: does the 580EXII have a simple flash-triggered optical slave cell?: Canon PowerShot Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
You need a pair of cactus V6II triggers to get it work. Your Cactus V5 only triggeres it in manual mode, wich can be fine too. I suggest to sell it and buy Pentax compatible flashes if you don't have a canon equipment too.
11-12-2019, 10:11 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I know you are interested in TTL mode, but otherwise you could do a lot with the Cactus transceivers and your flashes in Manual mode. As far as other units that communicate and provide abundant power storage, I would recommend the Godox AD200 units, and the use of the Godox XProP transmitter to control them. Purchasing new lights may not be your goal right now, but I just wanted to mention the Godox products. I have the XProP transmitter and an AD600, and they are excellent.

Good luck and have a nice trip.

Last edited by C_Jones; 11-12-2019 at 10:44 AM.
11-13-2019, 03:45 AM   #8

Original Poster
Yes it supports P-TTL, but it can't trigger the Canon flash in P-TTL mode. Now I searched for the Canon's capabilities: it can't be triggered by any Pentax compatible flash: Re: does the 580EXII have a simple flash-triggered optical slave cell?: Canon PowerShot Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
You need a pair of cactus V6II triggers to get it work. Your Cactus V5 only triggeres it in manual mode, wich can be fine too. I suggest to sell it and buy Pentax compatible flashes if you don't have a canon equipment too.
Yes I did find similar details about the Canon Flash. Looks like I will have to sell it and pick up another set of flash units.

---------- Post added 11-13-19 at 03:47 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
I know you are interested in TTL mode, but otherwise you could do a lot with the Cactus transceivers and your flashes in Manual mode. As far as other units that communicate and provide abundant power storage, I would recommend the Godox AD200 units, and the use of the Godox XProP transmitter to control them. Purchasing new lights may not be your goal right now, but I just wanted to mention the Godox products. I have the XProP transmitter and an AD600, and they are excellent.

Good luck and have a nice trip.
Thank you @C_Jones.
11-13-2019, 04:55 AM   #9

Original Poster
The link above led meto the website of Zebraflash which has the optical flash trigger and hot shoe adapter, both at approx USD 30. Do they work? Anyone has any experience with them?

The Canon 580 EX II has a price of approx USD 500 as on today. It is practically brand new. It will be a pity if I cannot put it to use.
11-13-2019, 05:19 AM   #10
Veteran Member

The link above led meto the website of Zebraflash which has the optical flash trigger and hot shoe adapter, both at approx USD 30. Do they work? Anyone has any experience with them?

The Canon 580 EX II has a price of approx USD 500 as on today. It is practically brand new. It will be a pity if I cannot put it to use.
These tools like, the Zebraflash only triggers the flash at a manual mode. For TTL metering two way communication between the flash and the camera needed. Only the Cactus V6 and V6II can do this cross brand, but it's more expensive than selling the canon and getting two new flashes. The Zebraflash is just a less reliable alternative to your Cactus V5 trigger.
11-13-2019, 02:40 PM - 1 Like   #11

... I need a good on camera flash compatible with both the 645z and the K1 in TTL mode, which will act as the master flash and fire the Canon flash remotely as the slave. ...Please recommend available options including Godox flash units.
If you need an on-camera PTTL capable flash, Godox only has two options: the TT350-P mini speedlight and the round-headed V1-P. The more-typical full-sized speedlight models, the TT685 and its li-on twin, the V860II do not exist for Pentax. They may never exist. In the amount of time since the XPro-P transmitter unit has come out, both MFT and Fuji had already had all the flash models (TT685, V860II, TT350, and V350) released. It looks as if Godox is only moving forward with newer models for Pentax compatible gear, and I suspect they plan to update the older speedlights at some point.

But both the TT350-P and the V1-P can be used as a radio transmitter as well as an on-camera TTL speedlight and off-camera radio slave. They also have S1/S2 "dumb" optical slave modes built in. And the TT685-C (Canon version) and all the "flavors" of V860II can be firmware updated to do Pentax TTL, HSS, and remote power control as radio slaves. But none of them can do the "smart" optical Pentax triggering, afaik.

So if you wanted to go Godox, I would recommend ditching the Cactus V6II and 580EXII, and just get a TT350-P or V1-P (depending on your preferences to size/weight, features, and budget), and add either a TT685-C or a V860II (or hell, even an AD200 or AD200 Pro) to use as your off-camera slave speedlight. If you get the round head for the AD200, you can share magnetic modifiers between it and the V1.

Between the TT350 and the V1, the V1 is the higher-end more expensive feature-laden flash. The TT350 runs on 2xAA and is roughly a stop less powerful than the full-sized speedlights. It only swivels 270º, has no recycle beep, no sync port, and no external battery pack port, and its radio master UI is kinda annoying. It's also not designed to do cross-brand TTL as a radio slave. But it's tiny and really light, and if you only need a fill flash/transmitter, it's often more than sufficient. Mirrorless shooters love it. The V1 is bigger and the round head makes it more awkward to pack, but the UI as radio master is much nicer, and it can take magnetic modifiers without a MagMod rubber band.

Flash Havoc has an overview of the Godox system as a whole you might find useful. I think there are Amazon purchase links there. You may also want to see this article, about the XPro-P. It was written before the firmware updates for P-TTL compatibility had come out for the bigger AD studio strobes and the V860II and TT685C, but at this point they're all compatible, except for the AD360II.
11-14-2019, 06:33 AM   #12

Original Poster
These tools like, the Zebraflash only triggers the flash at a manual mode. For TTL metering two way communication between the flash and the camera needed. Only the Cactus V6 and V6II can do this cross brand, but it's more expensive than selling the canon and getting two new flashes. The Zebraflash is just a less reliable alternative to your Cactus V5 trigger.
Thank you. Maybe I can use the Godox V1P as the master flash with complete TTL on camera control and use the Canon 580 EX II flash as a slave in manual mode using the optical flash trigger.

This might help in saving some money, of course at the cost of convenience as I would need to set the power of the Canon slave manually. But once I get the hang it, I guess I can do the manual settings pretty quickly.

Alternatively, I can go full manual and use Godox V1P on camera in manual mode mounted on the Cactus V5 and mount the Canon slave on Cactus V5 in receiver mode.

---------- Post added 11-14-19 at 06:45 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by inkista Quote
If you need an on-camera PTTL capable flash, Godox only has two options: the TT350-P mini speedlight and the round-headed V1-P. The more-typical full-sized speedlight models, the TT685 and its li-on twin, the V860II do not exist for Pentax. They may never exist. In the amount of time since the XPro-P transmitter unit has come out, both MFT and Fuji had already had all the flash models (TT685, V860II, TT350, and V350) released. It looks as if Godox is only moving forward with newer models for Pentax compatible gear, and I suspect they plan to update the older speedlights at some point.

But both the TT350-P and the V1-P can be used as a radio transmitter as well as an on-camera TTL speedlight and off-camera radio slave. They also have S1/S2 "dumb" optical slave modes built in. And the TT685-C (Canon version) and all the "flavors" of V860II can be firmware updated to do Pentax TTL, HSS, and remote power control as radio slaves. But none of them can do the "smart" optical Pentax triggering, afaik.

So if you wanted to go Godox, I would recommend ditching the Cactus V6II and 580EXII, and just get a TT350-P or V1-P (depending on your preferences to size/weight, features, and budget), and add either a TT685-C or a V860II (or hell, even an AD200 or AD200 Pro) to use as your off-camera slave speedlight. If you get the round head for the AD200, you can share magnetic modifiers between it and the V1.

Between the TT350 and the V1, the V1 is the higher-end more expensive feature-laden flash. The TT350 runs on 2xAA and is roughly a stop less powerful than the full-sized speedlights. It only swivels 270º, has no recycle beep, no sync port, and no external battery pack port, and its radio master UI is kinda annoying. It's also not designed to do cross-brand TTL as a radio slave. But it's tiny and really light, and if you only need a fill flash/transmitter, it's often more than sufficient. Mirrorless shooters love it. The V1 is bigger and the round head makes it more awkward to pack, but the UI as radio master is much nicer, and it can take magnetic modifiers without a MagMod rubber band.

Flash Havoc has an overview of the Godox system as a whole you might find useful. I think there are Amazon purchase links there. You may also want to see this article, about the XPro-P. It was written before the firmware updates for P-TTL compatibility had come out for the bigger AD studio strobes and the V860II and TT685C, but at this point they're all compatible, except for the AD360II.
Thank you for such a detailed and informative post. It is indeed helpful.

So if I decide to ditch the Canon, the Godox V1P as a master and 860II as the slave would give full Pentax TTL, HSS, and remote power control for both flashes without any manual intervention. Am I understanding it correctly? Is this also the best possible combination for the intended application if money isn't a constraint?
11-14-2019, 06:56 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

So if I decide to ditch the Canon, the Godox V1P as a master and 860II as the slave would give full Pentax TTL, HSS, and remote power control for both flashes without any manual intervention. Am I understanding it correctly? Is this also the best possible combination for the intended application if money isn't a constraint?
Yes, you understand it correctly.
You can sell the used Canon flash approximately at the same price as you can get a new V860II.
11-14-2019, 10:35 AM   #14

Original Poster
Yes, you understand it correctly.
You can sell the used Canon flash approximately at the same price as you can get a new V860II.
Thank you. Truly appreciate your prompt response.

Regards.
11-14-2019, 11:54 PM   #15

...So if I decide to ditch the Canon, the Godox V1P as a master and 860II as the slave would give full Pentax TTL, HSS, and remote power control for both flashes without any manual intervention. Am I understanding it correctly?
Yes, with the proviso that the V860II is firmware updated for Pentax compatibility.

QuoteQuote:
Is this also the best possible combination for the intended application if money isn't a constraint?
If money isn't any constraint, then two V1s, or an AD200 for off-camera is another possibility, but it will be a bit bulkier to haul either one around vs. a V860II. The thing about the AD200 is that it's basically the power output equivalent of three ganged speedlights and has a bare bulb head, so its character is more like using a small studio strobe, spread-wise. It can fill a large modifier better and more evenly than a speedlight, as well as pump out more light. But whether it's worth it or not is going to depend a bit on how much stuff you're willing to lug about, particularly in terms of modifiers, and how much power/coverage you need. But without any modifiers, the AD200's light, even bare bulb, is still going to be hard.