Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-14-2019, 08:03 AM   #1
Forum Member

Question about Neewer Vision 4 trigger compatibility with other brands?

Hi,

I found a deal on 2 NIB Neewer Vision 4 monolights I couldn't pass up; they should be a nice step up from the speedlights in S brackets I've been using. I know the Vision 4 can't do HSS, TTL, but I really don't care. These are just a budget step up to more powerful lights to play with.

One thing I've noticed is that the Vision 4 has a super simple, no function trigger, but info about the seemingly identical Visico 4 shows a slightly nicer remote that can select groups. It also looks like certain Cowboy Studios lights were suspiciously similar as well and I've read that some Godox triggers might be compatible?

Do any of you know if there's any compatibility between the Neewer Vision 4 trigger system and any other brands? I've had a hard time deciphering the dark underbelly of rebranded Chinese strobes and what brands are compatible.

The ultra basic trigger that comes with the Vision 4s will get the job done, but any remote that could control any extended functions on the '4s would be nice, if available.

Thanks

11-14-2019, 09:04 AM   #2
Forum Member

Original Poster
It looks like the Visico VC-801TX can control the modeling light, change power output, but I've found no seller in the 'states yet.
11-18-2019, 05:24 PM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by phreon Quote
... One thing I've noticed is that the Vision 4 has a super simple, no function trigger, but info about the seemingly identical Visico 4 shows a slightly nicer remote that can select groups. It also looks like certain Cowboy Studios lights were suspiciously similar as well and I've read that some Godox triggers might be compatible?
That's definitely NOT a Godox transmitter, so I would discount those reports.

QuoteQuote:
Do any of you know if there's any compatibility between the Neewer Vision 4 trigger system and any other brands? I've had a hard time deciphering the dark underbelly of rebranded Chinese strobes and what brands are compatible.
Me, too. Neewer is the worst, since they rebrand everybody: Yongnuo, Godox, Meike, Triopo, Voking. I say trust your instincts, and go with the Visico branding.

But I wouldn't assume same-brand means the triggers are compatible (e.g., Yongnuo). I will also so it's incredibly rare for there to be cross-brand compatibility with triggering systems, unless it's just a rebrand (e.g., Godox/Flashpoint).
11-19-2019, 11:59 AM - 1 Like   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
After careful research, I found that the "Vision 4" is indeed identical to the "Visico 4". The only difference is the seller channel. The Visico 4 comes with the VC-801TX which can control the power and modeling lights on 4 groups. For some reason, the Vision 4 comes with a more basic remote that doesn't support this much wanted functionality and it's not available in the United States. A few European sellers have it, but none would ship to the U.S. I've got one from AliExpress on the way.

11-19-2019, 03:43 PM - 1 Like   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
The Vision 4s arrived. Wow, these are *way* nicer than I anticipated. Seems like the cases are rubber (plastic) coated metal. I was expecting all plastic construction
11-27-2019, 04:38 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
I thought I'd post a follow-up for posterity. The Visico VC-801TXS trigger remote arrived. It indeed controls the Neewer Vision 4s perfectly. 4 individual groups that control the power and turn the modeling lights on/off. There's no display to give feedback, but the remote does enough to save one from having to constantly lower the lights the change the power. At least if you hit the up or down arrows enough times, the settings stop at 1/1 or 1/64 instead of recycling; you can go up or down, hit the "stop" and then count to where you need to be. Or just take a meter reading and go from there.

It's worth noting that while the basic remotes use a decent sized CR2 lithium battery, the multifunction remote/trigger uses a CR2032 button cell. Since each V-4 comes with a basic trigger that uses a much bigger battery and I now have 3, I'm going to use the VC-801TXS as a remote only to save its battery.

I have to say, despite lacking TTL or HSS, features I have no need for, these battery monolites are a heck of a value. They have a built in 2.4 GHz radio remote and come with a basic transmitter, They have definable pre-flash, have built in optical trigger, can ignore defined pre-flashes, can learn your camera's preflash sequence, have high speed/short duration multi-strobe functions and one or two other I'm forgetting. They seem dead accurate regarding repeatably; they give exact same reading every single time.

They aren't super powerful, but 300 W/S is better than the AD200 and recycle quick even at full power. At anything less than full, they recycle quicker than you'd ever need (normally); at max, they recycle in about 1.5 seconds. The manual claims 700 full power flashes per charge. I haven't been counting, but I've been playing with them for about a week now taking loads of pictures, testing out lighting ratios and they're just now starting to display the low battery warning while recovering from a couple full pops. Spare batteries are about $50 a piece; not great, but not bad.
08-01-2020, 09:52 AM   #7

Mi sono appena imbuttuto nel vostro forum mentre navigavo in cerca di descrizioni del Neewer Vision 4 monolight sono un appassionato di fotografia e avendo necessitā di luce flash esterna con batteria ho comprato il vision 4 essendo possessore di trasmettitore e ricevitore godox X1T-c X1R-c posso controllarlo anche con altri flash in piu con funzione tempi oltre i 200 in definitiva contrariamente alla descrizione del venditore supporta hss non č stata un intuizione ma una casualitā spero che la mia testimonianza possa essere utile ad altri appassionati come me

I just came across your forum while browsing in search of descriptions of the Neewer Vision 4 monolight I am a photography enthusiast and in need of external flash light with battery I bought the vision 4 being owner of the godox transmitter and receiver X1T-c X1R-c I can also control it with other flashes with time function over 200 ultimately contrary to the description of the seller supports hss was not an intuition but a randomness I hope my testimony can be useful to other fans like me

Last edited by Parallax; 08-01-2020 at 10:35 AM.