Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2008, 10:18 PM   #1

Flash Trigger

Yesterday just went to a studio to take pictures, first time for me. And after that got few questions.

I don't have either an external flash or flash trigger. But I borrowed a flash trigger from the studio.

1: When I was using the flash trigger, it seemed that the shortest shutter speed is 1/80. When I set the shutter than 1/80, the flash trigger did not trigger. What could be the problem?

2: My understanding is the flash sync of K20D is 1/180. If I am using an external flash trigger, will it be affected by this flash sync speed specification?

3: What are the differences between the in-built W flash mode and this flash trigger?

4: I I buy a flash gun rather than a flash trigger, except the flash gun itself will fire and flash trigger will not. What are the other advantages of using a flash gun comapring to a flash trigger?

10-20-2008, 12:26 AM   #2
Veteran Member

What do you mean by a flash trigger? I ask because I got confused (it sounds like you're using a flash trigger with no flash attached... ... ...)

What brand and model flash triggers, flash guns did you use?

My definitions on the following items:
flash trigger - device used to activate external flash units (tell them when to flash)
flash gun - a hotshoe (external) flash unit for use to illuminate a scene briefly
10-20-2008, 12:42 AM   #3

Original Poster
Your definition is right.

The flash trigger was actually a small box attached to the hot shoe. When I press the shutter of the camera, it will trigger the studio flash to fire. But the flash trigger itself does not have a flash.

Since I just borrowed that flash trigger from the studio, I was not aware the brand of the flash trigger.
10-20-2008, 05:57 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AVANT Quote
What do you mean by a flash trigger? I ask because I got confused (it sounds like you're using a flash trigger with no flash attached... ... ...)

What brand and model flash triggers, flash guns did you use?

My definitions on the following items:
flash trigger - device used to activate external flash units (tell them when to flash)
flash gun - a hotshoe (external) flash unit for use to illuminate a scene briefly
He was using a wireless flash trigger attached to his hot shoe. It triggered the strobes that were already setup in the studio.

matchz, from what I've heard, some of the wireless triggers have a lower sync speed than the camera does. Some are 1/120th, so it's not out of the question for the trigger to be at 1/80 (though it does seem to be slow).

10-20-2008, 10:55 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by alohadave Quote
He was using a wireless flash trigger attached to his hot shoe. It triggered the strobes that were already setup in the studio.

matchz, from what I've heard, some of the wireless triggers have a lower sync speed than the camera does. Some are 1/120th, so it's not out of the question for the trigger to be at 1/80 (though it does seem to be slow).

Thanks. In this case, if I buy a better wireless trigger so that I can go up to 1/120 or even 1/200, can it be used in a general studio?

What is the reasonable flash sync speed for this wireless trigger? Usually is it worth to buy or people just use the one provided by the studio?
10-20-2008, 06:43 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
matchz, I'm pretty sure that your maximum sync speed for off camera flash will be 1/180 regardless of the trigger. That is the limit for Pentax cameras. Some triggers, such as the uber-cheap Cactus triggers that I currently use, will only sync as high as 1/125 without banding which is fine for my applications. There are lots of options out there and more on the way (Radio Popper Jr.), so it really comes down to your budget & what you want to shoot.
10-20-2008, 10:25 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by geauxpez Quote
matchz, I'm pretty sure that your maximum sync speed for off camera flash will be 1/180 regardless of the trigger. That is the limit for Pentax cameras. Some triggers, such as the uber-cheap Cactus triggers that I currently use, will only sync as high as 1/125 without banding which is fine for my applications. There are lots of options out there and more on the way (Radio Popper Jr.), so it really comes down to your budget & what you want to shoot.

Usually I don't shoot studio, I usually shoot landscape and outdoor. But I was just asked to help to shoot studio. So I come up these questions and it would be good some basic about studio shooting.

I guess in general most studio would provide a wireless flash trigger. So then I just need to decide if it is worth to invest on a better wireless flash trigger.