Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2019, 04:34 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Studio strobes of choice for Me = Paul C. Buff

I've found that for outdoors the Godox/Flashpoint system serves me well (for about the last year or so). But with that said, with what Paul C. Buff offers, it is my go-to system for indoor studio work. The Einsteins E640 in the studio while running on AC power provides an incredible refresh rate that the Godox AD400 or the AD200 can't match. And, from what I hear the customer service of the Godox is lacking while the PCB products have great customer service and they provide repairs whenever needed for a cost that is extremely reasonable. Anyone else using PCB products that have had a similar experience?

11-24-2019, 05:41 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When I opened the studio 23 years ago I purchased a set of used Paul Buff strobes. White Lightning 600 & 1200 series. Believing that at some point the flash tubes would fail, I ordered two flash tubes to have on hand. The strobes are still in use, the extra tubes are unopened. Believe me, they are well used. Both in the studio and on location and have never had a failure. Time for the strobes and I to retire or I would upgrade to the Einsteins.
11-24-2019, 06:35 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dcpropilot Quote
The Einsteins E640 in the studio while running on AC power provides an incredible refresh rate that the Godox AD400 or the AD200 can't match.
Are you sure?

Adjusted for power output, the AD400 Pro should be about as fast as an E640.

The AD600 Pro should even beat the E640 in terms of recycling speed (0.9s vs an estimated 1.6s for the E640). The AD600 Pro has an optional AC adapter, allowing indoor use without worrying about battery life.

I think the real downsides of the battery-powered location strobes by Godox for studio use are the relatively weak modelling lights. Godox make dedicated studio strobes which address this issue.

And, from what I hear the customer service of the Godox is lacking while the PCB products have great customer service and they provide repairs whenever needed for a cost that is extremely reasonable.
Godox themselves indeed provide no customer service. That's not their business model. They leave that to retailers like Adorama or one of the many rebranding outlets like Strobepro.

This is why it is important to buy Godox equipment through a reputable seller instead from some unknown seller on ebay.
11-24-2019, 09:52 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I bought a set of Paul C. Buff Zeus lights with a 1250W/s power pack over 15 years ago and they are still going strong. Never had to put in any of the extra bulbs I bought at the time either.
Also inherited a Zeus 2500W/s power pack about 10 years ago with a third light and ring light I purchased second hand with no problems from any of that equipment either. Don't really use the 2500 unit much, as even outdoors it will cause an instant sunburn on anyone you're photographing, Powerful enough to drop ambient noon day sun by about 6 stops or more.
Never had the need to use customer service other than asking for help on figuring out how to actually use a strobe when I first got them. Paul and his wife were very patient and helpful in walking me through my learning curves. Bought my last soft box right after he passed and hadn't heard much more about the company since. Glad to hear they are still producing quality products.
Below is a shot from the 2500W/s power pack at midday sun through an f56 zoneplate.

Attached Images

Last edited by pcrichmond; 11-24-2019 at 09:59 PM.
11-25-2019, 04:42 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Are you sure?

The AD600 Pro should even beat the E640 in terms of recycling speed (0.9s vs an estimated 1.6s for the E640). The AD600 Pro has an optional AC adapter, allowing indoor use without worrying about battery life.

I think the real downsides of the battery-powered location strobes by Godox for studio use are the relatively weak modelling lights. Godox make dedicated studio strobes which address this issue.

Godox themselves indeed provide no customer service. That's not their business model. They leave that to retailers like Adorama or one of the many rebranding outlets like Strobepro.

This is why it is important to buy Godox equipment through a reputable seller instead from some unknown seller on ebay.
A few things...for the E640 setting the power to around 1/10 power (64 Ws) will allow frame rates or bursts on the order of five to ten frames per second with excellent frame to frame consistency and extremely sharp action freezing. And you are talking 400 versus 640WS. The AD400 is roughly $650, and another $110 for the adapter. They both work well, but for $499 and incredible service both during and out of warranty is something that really made me stick with the PCB products for indoor work. I've sent broken units, and the repair turnaround is really fast.....only a few days from the time they received the str obe to the time it was out of repair and on its way back to me. My concern about the Godox/Flashpoint unit is out of warranty service. $650 for a 'disposable Godox unit' after the warranty has run out has me a little apprehensive about using them long term.
11-25-2019, 05:47 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Are you sure?

A few things...for the E640 setting the power to around 1/10 power (64 Ws) will allow frame rates or bursts on the order of five to ten frames per second with excellent frame to frame consistency and extremely sharp action freezing. And you are talking 400 versus 640WS. The AD400 is roughly $650, and another $110 for the adapter. They both work well, but for $499 and incredible service both during and out of warranty is something that really made me stick with the PCB products for indoor work. I've sent broken units, and the repair turnaround is really fast.....only a few days from the time they received the strobe to the time it was out of repair and on its way back to me. My concern about the Godox/Flashpoint unit is out of warranty service. $650 for a 'disposable Godox unit' after the warranty has run out has me a little apprehensive about using them long term. Plus, the flashtube replacement for an Einstein Unit is 34.95 versus $119 for the Godox.
11-25-2019, 09:54 AM   #7
Pentaxian

My concern about the Godox/Flashpoint unit is out of warranty service.
There are sellers in the US who offer an out of warranty repair service.

I'm not saying the situation couldn't be better but it is not the case that Godox unit failing after the warranty period has expired will become junk to dispose of.

...for the E640 setting the power to around 1/10 power (64 Ws) will allow frame rates or bursts on the order of five to ten frames per second with excellent frame to frame consistency and extremely sharp action freezing.
Isn't that the case for the AD400 / AD600 as well?

And you are talking 400 versus 640WS.
Yes, but you are also comparing a location strobe with a studio strobe (plus the AD600 Pro is a 600Ws option which isn't that much more expensive; there are often very good sales on Adorama where it's sold as the Flashpoint XPLOR 600 Pro).

Also, as I said before, Godox make studio strobes as well which would be more fitting for a comparison to the E640.

I'm not trying to knock PCB, they used to be very innovative and are probably still a good choice for anyone in the US. However, PCB equipment is not available/competitive outside the US and their ecosystem isn't as diverse as Godox's.

11-25-2019, 12:33 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
All I'm saying is that they provide the solution that works very well for me and wanted to share the experience. I do use the AD400 and my two AD200's for my go-to location work and my 3 Einsteins and 1 Alien Bees Ring Flash for the studio. It is nice to have options. It would be even better if Godox provided repairs in the U.S.. Not sure if anyone does here. The AD200 isn't too much where I would lose a lot of sleep if it broke out of warranty, but something over $600 is (for me).
12-14-2019, 09:18 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
And, there's purchase price, and there's total cost of ownership over a bunch of years. Service and support play into that.
12-14-2019, 11:42 AM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Beyond reliability is survivability

Once upon a time, about 30 years ago, I bought a White Lightening 5000 and a 10000. After several years my photography activity nearly ceased, the White Lightenings weren't used and were packed away and somewhat forgotten. When 'unearthed' a couple of years ago, they had considerable mold and a few mouse droppings. I sprayed them with water, then tub and tile cleaner (a Clorox product) including spraying into any orifices, scrubbed them, hosed them off with a garden hose, and flushed them with reverse osmosis water (effectively distilled water) to remove any conductive residues that might affect the circuitry, used compressed air to remove most of the water, and air dried them in a fan breeze. After 24 hours I tested them and they worked just as they had in the distant past. The reflector surface also recovered. This is the kind of design approach that I have always regarded with favor.

Electronics without paper capacitors and perhaps without polystyrene capacitors may be able to withstand this means of refurbishment if there is a way to ensure that all residues can be washed out and every place water could collect can be dried (including inside unsealed potentiometers). Many modern electronics assemblies are too compact to ensure these conditions. If non-soluble conductive residues have built up, or poorly made electrolytic capacitors have failed on their own; this process will not be sufficient for recovery. Also note that any ESD sensitive electronics should not be pressure air dried unless the air is sufficiently humid and ionized.
12-20-2019, 04:46 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kaseki Quote
Once upon a time, about 30 years ago, I bought a White Lightening 5000 and a 10000. After several years my photography activity nearly ceased, the White Lightenings weren't used and were packed away and somewhat forgotten. When 'unearthed' a couple of years ago, they had considerable mold and a few mouse droppings. I sprayed them with water, then tub and tile cleaner (a Clorox product) including spraying into any orifices, scrubbed them, hosed them off with a garden hose, and flushed them with reverse osmosis water (effectively distilled water) to remove any conductive residues that might affect the circuitry, used compressed air to remove most of the water, and air dried them in a fan breeze. After 24 hours I tested them and they worked just as they had in the distant past. The reflector surface also recovered. This is the kind of design approach that I have always regarded with favor.

Electronics without paper capacitors and perhaps without polystyrene capacitors may be able to withstand this means of refurbishment if there is a way to ensure that all residues can be washed out and every place water could collect can be dried (including inside unsealed potentiometers). Many modern electronics assemblies are too compact to ensure these conditions. If non-soluble conductive residues have built up, or poorly made electrolytic capacitors have failed on their own; this process will not be sufficient for recovery. Also note that any ESD sensitive electronics should not be pressure air dried unless the air is sufficiently humid and ionized.
That's pretty amazing