Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-03-2019, 02:26 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Diffuser for AF540FGZ II

Has anyone bought, found or used a diffuser like the one in the picture, but for the AF540FGZ II? That's a really nice one I got for my YN560. It even has a prism array at the front for wider coverage. I'd like to find one like this for the Pentax.
I also use others that attach via a rubber band, they're collapsible and portable, but it's not as fast as putting a lens cap on and off. Any suggestions?
Thanks a lot!

12-03-2019, 03:00 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Flexible diffusion material (a coffee can led works well) and velcro on it and the flash. Attaches and detaches quite quickly, and the diffuser can be flattened to fit more easily in your bag o stuff.
12-03-2019, 07:34 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I created a 3D printable filter holder for the AF540FGZ II a while back (posted in this forum) and it wouldn't be to much more trouble to incorporate that into a diffuser similar to what you showed minus the prism feature. You might take a look and PM me if you're interested.
12-03-2019, 07:55 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
I created a 3D printable filter holder for the AF540FGZ II a while back (posted in this forum) and it wouldn't be to much more trouble to incorporate that into a diffuser similar to what you showed minus the prism feature. You might take a look and PM me if you're interested.
Can you post the link, please? I'd like to take a look at it.
How precise do you think one can manufacture the prism array? I'm asking because it needs smooth surfaces and injection molding does just that… but then again, that would require a bigger investment and sales by the hundreds of thousands of units.

12-04-2019, 08:35 AM   #5
Forum Member

Sounds like a workable idea. Did you just use white PLA? The prismatic diffuser shouldn't be terribly hard to design in something like OpenSCAD.
12-04-2019, 08:40 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use the Gary Fong one. Very effective.
12-04-2019, 03:29 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by M_D_K Quote
Sounds like a workable idea. Did you just use white PLA? The prismatic diffuser shouldn't be terribly hard to design in something like OpenSCAD.
Here's the link to that thread. The prismatic nature of the front diffuser is a nice idea, but Clear PLA diffuses light pretty well and a Fresnel lens could be incorporated into the diffuser to spread light more effectively. Growing a prismatic diffuser isn't impossible, but it would require substantial printer time and wouldn't be as neat as an injection molded diffuser.

AF201 3D Printed Accessories - PentaxForums.com

12-04-2019, 05:28 PM   #8
Forum Member

Here's the link to that thread. The prismatic nature of the front diffuser is a nice idea, but Clear PLA diffuses light pretty well and a Fresnel lens could be incorporated into the diffuser to spread light more effectively. Growing a prismatic diffuser isn't impossible, but it would require substantial printer time and wouldn't be as neat as an injection molded diffuser.

AF201 3D Printed Accessories - PentaxForums.com
Thanks, Bob. Nicely done and well documented. I would be tempted to cut diffusers to fit your holder instead of trying to design my own.

Having worked in the electrical sales field for a while, I find broken prismatic lenses from lighting fixtures are easily cut to size for a number of uses. My Dremel tool or my band saw would be perfect to cut out just what I need. Thanks for sparking my imagination.
12-05-2019, 08:41 AM   #9
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Moved to Flashes, Lighting and Studio forum...
12-05-2019, 08:56 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

............Having worked in the electrical sales field for a while, I find broken prismatic lenses from lighting fixtures are easily cut to size for a number of uses. My Dremel tool or my band saw would be perfect to cut out just what I need. Thanks for sparking my imagination.
Great idea. Those should work fine as filters and get what you want. A note: since I wrote that thread starter, I began using clear PLA and it lends itself to diffusion screens quite well and transmits more light than white PLA. To make builds look good, I still use white or black PLA, and switch to clear for the portion that utilizes it. Just so you're aware. Still, acrylic prismatic lenses like you described sound like an excellent choice. Be sure to use a particulate mask when grinding or shaping those. As with finishing 3D builds, machining can produce fine plastic particles that aren't safe if inhaled.
12-05-2019, 11:35 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, Bob. Nicely done and well documented. I would be tempted to cut diffusers to fit your holder instead of trying to design my own.

Having worked in the electrical sales field for a while, I find broken prismatic lenses from lighting fixtures are easily cut to size for a number of uses. My Dremel tool or my band saw would be perfect to cut out just what I need. Thanks for sparking my imagination.
That's an even better solution. Would be nice if you could send a pair my way if there's any chance.

12-05-2019, 11:38 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Great idea. Those should work fine as filters and get what you want. A note: since I wrote that thread starter, I began using clear PLA and it lends itself to diffusion screens quite well and transmits more light than white PLA. To make builds look good, I still use white or black PLA, and switch to clear for the portion that utilizes it. Just so you're aware. Still, acrylic prismatic lenses like you described sound like an excellent choice. Be sure to use a particulate mask when grinding or shaping those. As with finishing 3D builds, machining can produce fine plastic particles that aren't safe if inhaled.
Nice tips. I'll ask someone from college if they can build it for me.

12-07-2019, 04:06 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by torashi Quote
Nice tips. I'll ask someone from college if they can build it for me.
I have to make an apology. The OP was asking about a diffuser for the AF540FTZ and I thought I had included that in the former thread post but that was a while back and it actually was 3D printing for the AF 201 flash. Here are the adapter and bezel for the AF 540 which I had intended to provide (along with a cap and Pentax labels).

I printed these from black PLA (names attach to the cap with Canoacrylate) using a 0.4mm printhead and 0.1mm layer height as described in the former article. The adapter and cap print with the front (end away from flash) on the buildplate. The labels are printed with black until the "Pentax" label starts to print and then I switched (pause and switch filaments) to silver PLA for a nice look

I think these will fit the AF540 a bit better but if you have an AF 201, you are that much luckier
Attached Files
File Type: zip AF540FTZ Items.zip (528.2 KB, 30 views)
12-08-2019, 06:48 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have to make an apology. The OP was asking about a diffuser for the AF540FTZ and I thought I had included that in the former thread post but that was a while back and it actually was 3D printing for the AF 201 flash. Here are the adapter and bezel for the AF 540 which I had intended to provide (along with a cap and Pentax labels).

I printed these from black PLA (names attach to the cap with Canoacrylate) using a 0.4mm printhead and 0.1mm layer height as described in the former article. The adapter and cap print with the front (end away from flash) on the buildplate. The labels are printed with black until the "Pentax" label starts to print and then I switched (pause and switch filaments) to silver PLA for a nice look

I think these will fit the AF540 a bit better but if you have an AF 201, you are that much luckier
Keep in mind it's the second version, so I guess it needs a redesign. It's a good starting point, though.

12-10-2019, 12:03 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by torashi Quote
Keep in mind it's the second version, so I guess it needs a redesign. It's a good starting point, though.
Was unaware there was a new version. I designed that from the one that was available a couple of years back so good point.