Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2019, 10:14 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Godox XT2-P and V850II

I'm thinking about playing around with off-camera flash, and the two products in the title look interesting to me. What I'm not clear on is the capabilities of these two units combined.

The V850II speedlight is listed as manual only.

My question, though, is if it is combined with the XT2-P for triggering, will I get things like:
- TTL via the trigger to the off-camera flash
- High Speed Sync

I have not played with flash at all (other than the on-board flash) and anticipate doing a lot manually, but I'd like to know what capability I'll have with these. I've read through the documentation on line but I'm still not entirely sure how it will all work.

Use: Close-up/still life with a small soft box, often flowers and mushrooms outside; some portraits (family only, not looking for 'professional-grade'). The TTL feature would be more for the family photo work, since there's sometimes not much patience for messing with settings in those circumstances.

I could go with the smaller unit (TT350P) and be sure I have TTL/HSS, but that's a much weaker flash (GN 30-something instead of 100-something)--fine for the close-up work I think but not sure about portraits outside for fill flash. The fancy big flash (V1) is a bit too pricey for a first try in my mind.

Thanks!! Hopefully I've explained my question well enough.

(p.s. I'm planning to go with the Flashpoint versions from Adorama if I go forward with this, in case that matters at all.)

EDIT: Would a Cactus set up be just as good or better for what I need?

Last edited by Sir Nameless; 12-16-2019 at 11:15 AM.
12-16-2019, 02:47 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I am very interested to hear the responses to these questions.

However, Sir Nameless, do you really need radio? Your K-50 has a pop-up flash that can be used as a wireless optical trigger for external P-TTL flashes. How is that insufficient for your purposes?

I did look at the Cactus V6 II transceivers. However, personally, I already own a Metz 52 AF-1 and a Pentax AF360FGZ II. The Metz 52 AF-1 is incompatible with the Cactus system.
12-16-2019, 03:59 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
I am very interested to hear the responses to these questions.

However, Sir Nameless, do you really need radio? Your K-50 has a pop-up flash that can be used as a wireless optical trigger for external P-TTL flashes. How is that insufficient for your purposes?

I did look at the Cactus V6 II transceivers. However, personally, I already own a Metz 52 AF-1 and a Pentax AF360FGZ II. The Metz 52 AF-1 is incompatible with the Cactus system.

Well, that’s a good question. Having no experience with modern flashes I could be wrong, but I don’t think TTL works wirelessly when it’s triggered by the onboard flash, does it?

That said, my intent would be to do what you said first, then add a trigger if the on board flash triggering is unreliable or contributes to much to lighting on the subject, and if I can’t get along with manual only.

But I want to make sure I plan ahead so that I don’t box myself in with choices I make now.

That’s my theory anyway. For what it’s worth.
12-16-2019, 04:13 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sir Nameless Quote
Well, that’s a good question. Having no experience with modern flashes I could be wrong, but I don’t think TTL works wirelessly when it’s triggered by the onboard flash, does it?
Yes, it does. See page 249 of the K-50 manual.

12-16-2019, 04:26 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

My question, though, is if it is combined with the XT2-P for triggering, will I get things like:
- TTL via the trigger to the off-camera flash
Apparently not.

@inkista would surely be able to provide an autoritative answer.

- High Speed Sync
Yes, HSS is apparently supported.

You could check whether the TTL speedlights TT685 and V860II have received firmware updates to work with Pentax TTL via an X2 system trigger.

I find the AD200 to be a very interesting light and it definitely supports TTL + HSS with Pentax (via a trigger).
It would be ideal if you are planning to use modifiers like softboxes a lot.

(p.s. I'm planning to go with the Flashpoint versions from Adorama if I go forward with this, in case that matters at all.)
Yes, definitely choose the Flashpoint variants, or buy the Godox versions from reputable sellers only. If you buy Godox from a shady ebay seller, you'll never get support from Godox directly. They expect the seller to deal with repairs, etc.

EDIT: Would a Cactus set up be just as good or better for what I need?
The V6 II + RF60x is a great combo. In some ways usability is better than with Godox and there are few more features.
The one drawback of the Cactus system is that it won't allow you to grow beyond a 75Ws speedlight paradigm. You can use multiple of them, but for instance the AD200 is equivalent to almost three RF60x in power and only uses a tiny single Li-Ion battery. The three RF60x will require 12 AA rechargeables (which, on the plus side, are not proprietary and easily replaceable).
12-16-2019, 04:30 PM   #6
Pentaxian

The Metz 52 AF-1 is incompatible with the Cactus system.
Really?

I understand people have used the Metz 52 AF-1 in combination with the V6 II.
Potentially you'd have to use the "Metz 50-AF1" profile, but to the best of my knowledge there are no downsides associated with using a "technically incorrect" profile.
12-16-2019, 04:31 PM   #7
Pentaxian

but I don’t think TTL works wirelessly when it’s triggered by the onboard flash, does it?
TTL is supported via optical triggering from the on-board flash, but HSS is not.

12-16-2019, 04:41 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Really?

I understand people have used the Metz 52 AF-1 in combination with the V6 II.
Potentially you'd have to use the "Metz 50-AF1" profile, but to the best of my knowledge there are no downsides associated with using a "technically incorrect" profile.
On the Cactus website:

Pentax
P-TTL
Metz 36AF-5, 44AF-1, 50AF-1, 58AF-2;
Metz flash doesn’t support auto detect from the V6II. Manual select flash system is required. To set up, select <Pentax> under <FLASH SETUP> in the V6II menu.

Pentax AF 360FGZ, AF 360FGZII1, AF 540FGZ, AF 540FGZII1;

The following flashes are not supported:
Sigma EF-610 DG ST for PTTL
Metz 52-AF1 for Pentax
12-16-2019, 05:54 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The V850II won't do pttl but will do hss (manual exposure only).
12-16-2019, 07:14 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yes, it does. See page 249 of the K-50 manual.
Well I'll be darned. Imagine that, it's in the manual. *SMH* That's embarrassing. Thanks for pointing that out.

So if I want wireless P-TTL, I can use a P-TTL capable off-camera flash and the onboard flash will trigger it. If I want P-TTL + HSS, I need 2 flashguns, 1 mounted on camera. Ouch.

---------- Post added 12-16-19 at 07:16 PM ----------

I find the AD200 to be a very interesting light and it definitely supports TTL + HSS with Pentax (via a trigger).
It would be ideal if you are planning to use modifiers like softboxes a lot.
Thanks for this and all your input. I thought the AD200 looked nice too, but I think that might be more than I need right now. But other than that, it does look like it is very capable.

---------- Post added 12-16-19 at 07:19 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by howieb101 Quote
The V850II won't do pttl but will do hss (manual exposure only).
Thanks for the definitive answer.

It looks like this calls for more digging...
12-17-2019, 03:07 AM   #11
Pentaxian

The following flashes are not supported:
Sigma EF-610 DG ST for PTTL
Metz 52-AF1 for Pentax
I know that the Metz 52 AF-1 is not directly supported.

However, we have a user confirming that a Metz 52 AF is working with the Cactus V6II (using the Metz 50-AF1 profile).

Perhaps he had a Metz 52 AF-2 or using the 50-AF1 profile works after all.
12-17-2019, 05:52 PM   #12
Pentaxian

I know that the Metz 52 AF-1 is not directly supported.

However, we have a user confirming that a Metz 52 AF is working with the Cactus V6II (using the Metz 50-AF1 profile).

Perhaps he had a Metz 52 AF-2 or using the 50-AF1 profile works after all.
Thanks for that Class A. You're certainly A-class.

That puts Cactus back on my "of interest" list. Although I am generally happy with optical P-TTL, my issue on the K-1 is that I would sometimes like to have both my flash units off-camera. So I would need either another flash, or radio triggers.

I lean towards the Cactus system rather than Godox because the triggers/receivers are universal.
12-17-2019, 05:56 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
GoDox XPro and AD200pros and you will never look back. I use the AD200Pros with my Sony or Pentax and all I need is to use the brand specific transmitter. Trust me...you will never look back.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1465859-REG/godox_ad200pro_ttl_pocket_flash.html

Pentax - https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1432377-REG/godox_xprop_ttl_wireless_flash_trigger.html
Sony - https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1383690-REG/godox_xpros_xpro_s_ttl_wireless_flash.html

Also, if you do have a brand specific flash - I have two Sony Godox VING V860IIS - and I can use them with the Pentax triggers.
Really amazing system GoDox has.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1341866-REG/godox_v860ii_f_sony_kit_v..._sony_kit.html

Using the GoDox system, you can adjust the power and groups without running all over the place. Its amazing.

Last edited by LaurenOE; 12-17-2019 at 06:03 PM.
12-23-2019, 03:39 PM   #14

Apparently not.

@inkista would surely be able to provide an autoritative answer. ...You could check whether the TTL speedlights TT685 and V860II have received firmware updates to work with Pentax TTL via an X2 system trigger.
Sorry. Late to the party, as usual. The V850II cannot do TTL either on or off-camera; it's a li-on version of the TT600.

You need a firmware-upgraded V860II (any flavor) or TT685-C (no idea why only the Canon version of the TT685 got the upgrade) for P-TTL, if you want P-TTL with an off-camera radio slave. Only the V1-P and TT350-P can do P-TTL as on-camera units as well.
12-24-2019, 07:06 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
@inkista, thanks for clearing that up, appreciate the answer.

I'm assuming you have experience with these flashes here--does the Godox/Flashpoint implementation of P-TTL work as well as Pentax's own, or is there a significant performance gap (accuracy, consistency, etc)?