Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-25-2019, 03:56 AM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by Sir Nameless Quote
@inkista, thanks for clearing that up, appreciate the answer.

I'm assuming you have experience with these flashes here--does the Godox/Flashpoint implementation of P-TTL work as well as Pentax's own, or is there a significant performance gap (accuracy, consistency, etc)?
Actually, I'm not a Pentax shooter. That's why I tend to lurk hereabouts. I do use Godox on my Canon, Fuji, and micro four-thirds gear, and have a weird cataloging brain about the models in the system, so I can sometimes help out with Godox use details and cross-brand use.

Typically, though, for Canon and Nikon users, Godox gear is not quite as solid as the OEM flash gear at TTL accuracy/consistency, but tends to still be in the "good enough" range for most. I would expect the same with Pentax, but have no practical experience of it.

12-26-2019, 02:49 AM   #17
Pentaxian

I'm not a full time PTTL user, just use PTTL for adding fill and few times as a main light.
Many times I have to compensate to get adequate light, and the results depends on the scene. Compared to a flash on camera (referring only to exposure), maybe I get a bit better results with Godox OCF in PTTL mode (a lot of factors can explain this). My experience is that I get a bit of underexposure when I use a PTTL as a main light, not bad exposure if I mix flash and ambient, and noticeable overexposure when using HSS. I get better results indoors than outdoors, but I admit that I have not fully mastered the use of PTTL.
In general, I get adequate lighting using PTTL, not very underexposed or overexposed, but that's all, I still find that using the photometer is the best way to get good exposures.

---------- Post added 26-12-19 at 10:53 AM ----------

A final note. The X2T-P have some compatibility problems with legacy flashes like the AD360 or V850 mkI, that need the XT16r receiver. I think the V850II is a 'modern' flash with internal receiver compatible with godox X system, and you shouldn't find any problem with it.
12-26-2019, 09:15 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thank you @inkista and @morenjavi for your input. Having given this some more thought, I'm leaning toward going with just manual flash and leaving TTL for some other time. I like the idea of having a Li-on flash, so I'm thinking if I go with the new dedicated trigger and the V850II, I'll have a good one-light solution, with the capability of adding a V2 later if I really want on/off camera TTL.
12-26-2019, 10:27 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sir Nameless Quote
Thank you @inkista and @morenjavi for your input. Having given this some more thought, I'm leaning toward going with just manual flash and leaving TTL for some other time. I like the idea of having a Li-on flash, so I'm thinking if I go with the new dedicated trigger and the V850II, I'll have a good one-light solution, with the capability of adding a V2 later if I really want on/off camera TTL.
I'm sure you'll enjoy with your off camera flash. I remember when I started to play with flashes off camera, after discovering the Strobist site (maybe 10 years ago?). I started with optical systems, using PTTL, sync cables, photocells, etc. But having a radio triggering system was a game changer for me.
A disadvantage of Godox radio system is that it only works with Godox flashes, but you have plenty of speedlights and flashes that will allow you to grow.
Two valuable tools that I use for OCF setups are the Sekonik 358 (great metter) and the SpyderCube (for getting correct WB and tones).

Regards and ... Merry Christmas !!

12-26-2019, 10:45 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks, and Merry Christmas to you as well!