Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
01-03-2020, 03:32 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Neewer Ad200 and P-TTL?

Hi all,
Does anyone know if the Neewer Ad200 supports P-TTL either through their N1 trigger or the Xpro?

Thanks.

01-03-2020, 05:56 AM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Gareth Quote
Hi all,
Does anyone know if the Neewer Ad200 supports P-TTL either through their N1 trigger or the Xpro?

Thanks.
Hello,

I think they are exactly the same flash.

I have 3 different brands of Godox flashes:

* REPORTER 360 (Godox AD360)
* Godox AD200
* NEEWER AD400Pro (Godox AD400Pro)

I also have the XPro trigger.

Regardless of the label on the outside, I find no difference between NEEWER, REPORTER or Godox. My AD400Pro is 'NEEWER flavour' but it has TTL and everything you can find on the official Godox manual.

Regards.
01-03-2020, 06:05 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by morenjavi Quote
Hello,

* Godox AD200

Regardless of the label on the outside, I find no difference between NEEWER, REPORTER or Godox. My AD400Pro is 'NEEWER flavour' but it has TTL and everything you can find on the official Godox manual.

Regards.
Absolutely correct. They are all the same units, tho warranty procedures may be different. I buy Adorama's labeled AD200's simply for the assurance a US company will be standing behind any issues, since of course I'm US based. Otherwise it doesn't matter.
01-03-2020, 06:06 AM   #4
pid
Pentaxian

Hello,

* Godox AD200

Regards.
Do you know, if the Godox Firmwareupdates work with the Neewer products?

01-03-2020, 06:23 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pid Quote
Do you know, if the Godox Firmwareupdates work with the Neewer products?
Yes, 100% sure. I have re-uploaded the 1.2 firmware on my neewer unit... and still works .
01-03-2020, 09:16 AM   #6
pid
Pentaxian

Yes, 100% sure. I have re-uploaded the 1.2 firmware on my neewer unit... and still works .
Thanks. So my next AD400Pro will be from Neewer because it is 200€ cheaper!
01-03-2020, 09:22 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pid Quote
Thanks. So my next AD400Pro will be from Neewer because it is 200€ cheaper!
Same here, normal price of Godox AD400Pro is 680€, but I bought the NEEWER flavor for just 413€ (now is 469€). I can't understand why the NEEWER is 200€ cheaper, but it's the AD400Pro model. There is a big 'AD400Pro' label on the box and on the unit itself, I had my doubts at the beginning.

Enjoy your unit!

01-03-2020, 09:45 AM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Same here, normal price of Godox AD400Pro is 680€, but I bought the NEEWER flavor for just 413€ (now is 469€). I can't understand why the NEEWER is 200€ cheaper, but it's the AD400Pro model. There is a big 'AD400Pro' label on the box and on the unit itself, I had my doubts at the beginning.

Enjoy your unit!
Reportedly a pair of AD200's in an AD-B2 twin head is more powerful than a single AD400 FWIW. Perhaps as much as a 1/3 stop more. I can't personally check as I only own the AD200's. Those on the fence on which to buy might consider that avenue instead as there's lots of upside and little to no disadvantages. You can have two separate flash units which can be darn useful or one powerful one if working outdoors under brighter lights, and you accomplish the same task as a single AD400. You might even find it's slightly cheaper too.
01-03-2020, 12:08 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Reportedly a pair of AD200's in an AD-B2 twin head is more powerful than a single AD400 FWIW. Perhaps as much as a 1/3 stop more. I can't personally check as I only own the AD200's. Those on the fence on which to buy might consider that avenue instead as there's lots of upside and little to no disadvantages. You can have two separate flash units which can be darn useful or one powerful one if working outdoors under brighter lights, and you accomplish the same task as a single AD400. You might even find it's slightly cheaper too.
AD400Pro vs 2 x AD200 + AD-B2. This is a really interesting topic, that have been discused some times on the forums. Some time ago, when I had only the AD200, I was dediding a new upgrade route: what to do ? buy another AD200 + AD-B2 or the AD400Pro, maybe selling some of my older flashes, like the AD360 to finance the purchase? Usual AD400Pro price is more than double the AD200. I decided to go the 2 x AD200 route, so I bought first the AD-B2 and was happy with it, having just one AD200. AD-B2 is a more or less a good Bowens mount, and also had a led light, which was new for me. To buy another AD200 seems a logic upgrade if you own a AD200 yet, isn't it? Add another AD200 to your set and you'll have all the advantages.

But then I saw a great deal for an AD400Pro, and decided to buy it. The AD200 costs 313€ new here, and the AD400Pro costs 680€, but the neewer 'flavour' was only 413€, 'just' 100€ more that the AD200, and near the same price than the AD200Pro.

Now that I have the AD-B2 (with just one AD200) and the AD400Pro, I can (partially) compare both solutions, and IMHO, if you mostly need power, I think that the AD400Pro is a better idea compared to 2 x AD200 + AD-B2. Why?

1. AD400Pro is more compact, easy and quicker to setup compared to 2 x AD200 + AD-B2. This can or can't be a deciding factor for you.
2. Led light. AD400 have a single 30W led light, with some advanced functions. AD-B2 offers 2 x 20W led lights. Yes you have more power but some disadvantages. For example the led light eats AD200 batteries quickly, you have only 3 power positions for the AD200, and you need to control two different lights. It's quicker to setup andn control the modeling light with the AD400Pro, and you can use led light for more much time on the AD400Pro.
3. You have two mounts on the AD400: Godox and Bowens.

Of course if you plan mainly to have two lights, and ocassionally need more power on a single light, there is an advantage on the side of the AD-B2.
About price, now that the Neewer is so cheap, the advantage is on the side of the AD400Pro.
About power. I made some tests comparing AD400Pro vs AD200 + AD-B2 using the same scene, subject and diffuser, and my conclusion is that the AD200 is a bit less powerful than 'half AD400Pro'. You can see my results here. It was not an in depth comparison, but just a hint that AD400Pro is a bit more powerfull than 2 AD200's (comparing bulbs). You can find another comparison with similar results in this youtube video
(it's in Spanish, but I think you can understand what are the guy doing), look at minute 8:59.

This is just my experience, can or can't be valid for you, as always .

EDIT: on the test I'm referring to, I was comparing ONE AD200+AD-B2 vs ONE AD400, I expected to find half the power coming from the AD200, but got less than that.

Last edited by morenjavi; 01-03-2020 at 02:37 PM. Reason: clarifying
01-03-2020, 01:05 PM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

AD400Pro vs 2 x AD200 + AD-B2. This is a really interesting topic, that have been discused some times on the forums.

About power. I made some tests comparing AD400Pro vs AD200 + AD-B2 using the same scene, subject and diffuser, and my conclusion is that the AD200 is a bit less powerful than 'half AD400Pro'. You can see my results here. It was not an in depth comparison, but just a hint that AD400Pro is a bit more powerfull than 2 AD200's (comparing bulbs). You can found another comparison with similar results in this youtube video video (it's in Spanish, but I think you can understand what are the guy doing), look at minute 8:59.

This is just my experience, can or can't be valid for you, as always .
the light improvement comes from the combination of the AD-B2 and TWO AD-200's. How's that? Apparently it's due to the small integrated reflective dish of the B2 and better sealing provided within the attached modifier. Less light "escapes" out the back and more light is reflected forward with the double AD200's compared to a single 400. Or at least that's the claim. I think you mentioned using a small reflector dish with your AD's and a modifier. It's less than $20 whether you find the Godox dish itself or break it away from the domed modifier. Same dish. You and I know about it, but others may not.
01-03-2020, 01:58 PM   #11
Pentaxian

the light improvement comes from the combination of the AD-B2 and TWO AD-200's.
Yes yes, of course you need two AD200's to compare against just one AD400. I was comparing 1 AD200+AD-B2 (200Ws) versus 1 AD400Pro (400Ws). What I expected to get was half the power coming from the AD200 (or double the power from the AD400), but I got 0.3EV less than that; so my point is that, with two AD200+AD-B2 I'll get (a bit) less power than the AD400. The guy on the video found a bit more light coming from a single AD400 compared to 2 x AD200 + AD-B2. I have seen other videos claiming the contrary.

How's that? Apparently it's due to the small integrated reflective dish of the B2 and better sealing provided within the attached modifier. Less light "escapes" out the back and more light is reflected forward with the double AD200's compared to a single 400
Correct, this reflective dish helps to reflect the light forward. Also, the AD-B2 doesn't allow the light to go outside your softbox (compared to a standard S-type mount), but the AD400 also have a reflective surface around the bulb, similar to the AD-B2 dish, and it fits perfectly your softbox too. In my limited experience, I have found that the AD400 reflective surface is a bit more efficient than the AD-B2 dish. If you look at pictures of the AD400 and the AD-B2, it seems that the AD-B2 will reflect more light back to the softbox, but I have found the contrary.

I think you mentioned using a small reflector dish with your AD's and a modifier. It's less than $20 whether you find the Godox dish itself or break it away from the domed modifier. Same dish. You and I know about it, but others may not.
Yes, I have mentioned sudh dish on some threads. My apologies if my post is a bit confusing (as always ). For forum members that doesn't know, this dish comes in the AD-S17 accesory, you need to dismount this accesory to get the dish easily. This dish is a good option when you use a single AD200 with a standard S-type mount, it'll make your AD200 more efficient, it's small, light and easy to set up. But this time, on the test I'm referring to, I used an AD200 with the AD-B2. I haven't compared AD200 + AD-B2 vs AD200 + AD-S17 dish, no idea if the AD-B2 is more or less efficient than the dish, I think they should be similar. For a single AD200, and if you have a S-type mount, the dish can be a convenient and cheap accesory.
01-03-2020, 07:13 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

I haven't compared AD200 + AD-B2 vs AD200 + AD-S17 dish, no idea if the AD-B2 is more or less efficient than the dish, I think they should be similar
Ok, I did it. I compared AD-B2 vs S17 dish. In both cases I used my round softbox, I put the softbox on the same position on both tests and took several measurements with a photometer, that I put on the same place also on both tests. I have only one AD200 so I first prepared the AD200 with S-type bracket & S17 plate, took some measures and then mounted the same softbox on the AD-B2. Softbox position & angle could be marginaly different between tests, but I tried to put everything on the exact position between tests. My results showed that the S17 dish was 0.1-0.2 EV more efficient compared to the AD-B2, when you fill a round softbox.
01-03-2020, 07:16 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

Ok, I did it. I compared AD-B2 vs S17 dish. In both cases I used my round softbox, I put the softbox on the same position on both tests and took several measurements with a photometer, that I put on the same place also on both tests. I have only one AD200 so I first prepared the AD200 with S-type bracket & S17 plate, took some measures and then mounted the same softbox on the AD-B2. Softbox position & angle could be marginaly different between tests, but I tried to put everything on the exact position between tests. My results showed that the S17 dish was 0.1-0.2 EV more efficient compared to the AD-B2, when you fill a round softbox.
Thanks for taking the time. Thanks too for pointing out that Neewer is selling some of the same Godox gear for less than Adorama. No idea how they're doing it but I'm certain to give them a hard look now. Thanks!!
01-07-2020, 04:40 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the replies

So, the supplied N1 trigger, will that work in P-TTL or do I need the XPro trigger instead?

Thanks
01-07-2020, 04:53 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Gareth Quote
So, the supplied N1 trigger, will that work in P-TTL or do I need the XPro trigger instead?
It's supposed to work. If you look at the AD200 manual, there is a picture of a X1T trigger where the manual talk about X1 triggers. But I don't have the any X1T trigger to test and be 100% sure. Maybe other users have a X1T trigger and can check it.

Maybe you'll need to add X2T or Xpro trigger later for TTL support, but I think It will not be necessary.

Regards.

---------- Post added 07-01-20 at 12:56 PM ----------

Ah, you can ask Godox support about this and wait for an answer ... seriously, don't do it.