Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
01-08-2020, 02:20 PM   #1

Flash for GR iii

Hoping again that I can find a small flash that will work with the GRiii. Very disappointed that there was no flash built-in to the camera, and no tiny flash released with the camera.

I've used the flash in all the GR bodies I've had, and not having it means I need to bring the old and battered GR ii with me for evening shooting. Hoping there is something small, like the old Contax G2 flash that will work with the camera.

I've searched, and there doesn't seem to be anything.

01-08-2020, 02:26 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Please clarify whether you mean the current release (APS-C) GR III, or the 10+ year old old (1/1.7") GRD III. I presume you mean the former, as the latter has a built in flash.

My Pentax AF 201 FG works fine on the GR III. It's tiny, has an articulated flash head, and is surprisingly versatile.

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 01-08-2020 at 02:36 PM.
01-08-2020, 02:55 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I use the af200fg for pttl and a larger cheap manual flash. For both I also use basic (manual) wireless triggers made by lightpix. I much prefer off camera flash and a hotshoe cable IMHO isn't convenient for a small camera like the gr. Lightpix also sells a bundle of trigger and flash with built in receiver, I've seen a few YouTubers recommend it for GR and in general street photography.
01-08-2020, 03:24 PM   #4
Pentaxian

According to the Ricoh/Pentax site (note the following internet address), the GR III (recent model) will work with the Pentax AF-201, Pentax AF540FGZ II, and Pentax AF360FGZ II. If that is so, I would assume that the AF-360FGZ and the AF-540FGZ models would operate with it also, but you may want to check with the seller prior to purchasing just to make sure, or with the Ricoh/Pentax customer service. The Yongnuo 585EX is another flash that has Pentax TTL, in case you were interested, though you may also want to check with Yongnuo customer service to confirm that it will work with the GR III. It performs fine with my Pentax cameras, and is a very nice flash. It does have the P-TTL as I mentioned, but does not have HSS (high speed sync). Also below is a shortcut to the Yongnuo flash in case you are interested.

Good luck and happy shooting!

Accessories?GR III | RICOH IMAGING

https://www.amazon.com/YONGNUO-YN585EX-Wireless-Speedlite-Function/dp/B01MY4...ntaxforums-20&

01-08-2020, 04:39 PM - 1 Like   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sepiareverb Quote
I've searched, and there doesn't seem to be anything.
As noted above, the AF-200 FG and AF-201 FG are the compact solutions from Ricoh/Pentax. There are also several third-party options that might work for you, including the Godox TT350P and Metz 26 AF-1/AF-2. Any flash that supports Pentax P-TTL will work with your camera as will all non-TTL speedlites.

Steve
01-08-2020, 07:40 PM   #6
Forum Member

FlashQ Q20

I have that one:
Flashq Q20 Flash | B&H Photo Video
It is manual only flash, but absence of X-Sync limit on GR3 makes it easy to use.
01-09-2020, 11:15 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I got the GR III several months ago and am loving it. For flash I am using the Godox TT350P Thinklite. I typically prefer off camera flash and for that I use the Godox XPro-P 2.4G Flash Trigger in combination with. They also work on my K-1 and K-3. They both have a small form factor and only require 2 AA batteries each to operate, so that keeps them relatively light as well.
*** Very reasonably priced ***

Last edited by chuck_c; 01-09-2020 at 11:21 AM.
01-09-2020, 02:10 PM   #8
Pentaxian

My old Sigma EF 530 DG Super (Pentax hot shoe) works fine with my brand new GR III, it is great, the drawback is the flash's size which is bigger than the GR's one!
10-22-2020, 12:54 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by chuck_c Quote
I got the GR III several months ago and am loving it. For flash I am using the Godox TT350P Thinklite. I typically prefer off camera flash and for that I use the Godox XPro-P 2.4G Flash Trigger in combination with. They also work on my K-1 and K-3. They both have a small form factor and only require 2 AA batteries each to operate, so that keeps them relatively light as well.
*** Very reasonably priced ***

QuoteOriginally posted by tryphon4 Quote
My old Sigma EF 530 DG Super (Pentax hot shoe) works fine with my brand new GR III, it is great, the drawback is the flash's size which is bigger than the GR's one!
When you suggest it works, do you mean in TTL mode? I've recently switched to a Ricoh GRiii as my wide angle camera instead of carrying around a wide angle lens and I'm looking for a flash just like these to keep just in case I need one down the line.
10-23-2020, 04:37 AM   #10

Original Poster
Long ago sold off the GRIII and have mostly given up on photography. Apologies for neglecting this thread - for some reason I never got any notifications of replies till one this morning.
10-24-2020, 02:02 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lemotquitue Quote
When you suggest it works, do you mean in TTL mode? I've recently switched to a Ricoh GRiii as my wide angle camera instead of carrying around a wide angle lens and I'm looking for a flash just like these to keep just in case I need one down the line.
Yes, it works in P-TTL mode. The GRIII has a Pentax hot shoe, not a Ricoh one.
12-12-2020, 07:22 AM   #12
Forum Member

I'm still sporting the GR, never considered the upgrade to the GRII offered enough and then the GRIII which does offer something ditches the flash which is such a mistake. Anyway I do sometimes use an ebay trigger attached to hotshoe and a Nikon speed light. manual adjustments but gives me the off camera lighting. Need better triggers tho.
12-12-2020, 02:50 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by recklessdiffraction Quote
Need better triggers tho.
Yongnuo RF-603N II...small and light and will even wake up your flash, if needed.

Steve

(...bought mine on a whim and am now a big fan...)
12-13-2020, 04:06 AM   #14
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Yongnuo RF-603N II...small and light and will even wake up your flash, if needed.
OK. Thanks Stevefor the recommendation. I'll have a look at them. Are they universal (stick em on any camera, any flash) or are they designed for the camera body and flash unit brand?

I was considering the Godox system but it may be more expensive than I want (it's also a pretty big transmitter on the body) but it does allow full control of the flash units from the camera which is a nice plus.
12-13-2020, 12:20 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by recklessdiffraction Quote
Are they universal (stick em on any camera, any flash) or are they designed for the camera body and flash unit brand?
They have limited dedication for Nikon and Canon (wake-up only, I think) with appropriate extra contacts, but work with any flash except Sony. The Nikon version is preferred because of less chance of interference from the contacts present on the Canon version. By pleasant coincidence, the wake-up dedication also works with Pentax flavor flash.

Steve