Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2020, 06:10 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
How well would a 10 by 15 storage locker work as studio space?

My basement ceilings are way too low so I really have no space in my house.

I was thinking about a 10 by 15 storage locker for space.

Do you think that would work?

Thanks.

01-10-2020, 06:20 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Does it have HVAC? Good security?
01-10-2020, 07:36 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dsmithhfx Quote
Does it have HVAC? Good security?
HVAC-no Security-as good as it needs to be
01-10-2020, 07:47 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bladerunner6 Quote
Yes.

Depending on the kind of impression you want to make on your clients/subjects/models, I don't see why it wouldn't work, albeit only with lenses with a 35mm equivalent focal length of less than 100mm. If the side walls are reflective, you might need to cover them up and I assume you will be putting some kind of background over the back wall. You probably will want a source of electricity, for work lighting so you can see what you are doing and your subjects don't get frightened.

01-10-2020, 07:48 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would not keep any equipment there, and you need to make certain you have access to adequate power, but for smaller subjects (table top, etc.) it could work fine Outdoor or indoor access? A 15 x 30 might be better...
01-10-2020, 07:58 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would look into whether-or-not the storage space provider allows for clients' professional use of the facilities, if you're intending to use it for that. I don't know, but somehow doubt that their insurance would cover, say, injury to one of your clients whilst on the property. Most likely, it's limited to providing liability coverage for you, the primary client, when using the facility as intended. I'm only guessing, though... but it seems prudent to verify that.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 01-10-2020 at 08:18 AM.
01-10-2020, 08:51 AM   #7
Pentaxian

My basement ceilings are way too low so I really have no space in my house.

I was thinking about a 10 by 15 storage locker for space.

Thanks.
My basement studio, before it got repurposed, wasn't much bigger than that, and I did just fine with it. There will be some compromises. For full lengths you will need to use shorter lenses than you might want to, and you won't want to shoot more than 3 or 4 people as a group. You will also need to deal with reflections off of the walls playing havoc with lighting ratios.
However, in a room that small, you will probably be able to do away entirely with a fill reflector and just bounce a light off of one wall for fill and use a snooted pan reflector as a main.
01-10-2020, 09:39 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I would look into whether-or-not the storage space provider allows for clients' professional use of the facilities, if you're intending to use it for that. I don't know, but somehow doubt that their insurance would cover, say, injury to one of your clients whilst on the property. Most likely, it's limited to providing liability coverage for you, the primary client, when using the facility as intended. I'm only guessing, though... but it seems prudent to verify that.
They almost certainly will not cover your clients if they are injured on the property. Look into liability insurance, which is pretty inexpensive. $100,000 will be enough to keep any lawyers satisfied.

01-10-2020, 09:47 AM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
My basement studio, before it got repurposed, wasn't much bigger than that, and I did just fine with it. There will be some compromises. For full lengths you will need to use shorter lenses than you might want to, and you won't want to shoot more than 3 or 4 people as a group. You will also need to deal with reflections off of the walls playing havoc with lighting ratios.
However, in a room that small, you will probably be able to do away entirely with a fill reflector and just bounce a light off of one wall for fill and use a snooted pan reflector as a main.
I use a 3rd bedroom not all that different in size now (in fact a foot narrower) and it works well with a bit of layout planning. Do yourself a favor and don't try to use multiple lightstands. Your client will be stumbling over them as you might too. Use wall mounted light stands that fold back when not in use if the landlord will allow, and look into a roll down system for multiple paper backdrops. They typically use floor to ceiling poles that do double duty as light stands as needed. Saves a lot of setup time, refreshes for every shoot. You're not likely going to be able to use more than 5' wide in most circumstances and in a pinch roll all the paper up out of the way and use a backdrop secured w/double-faced tape to the wall so as to avoid any more projection into the studio space.

You'll appreciate the open floor space more than you might realize.

EDIT: I have only 8' ceilings so I deal with it. I'd LOVE a space with at least 10'

Last edited by gatorguy; 01-10-2020 at 10:22 AM.
01-10-2020, 09:54 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
I use a 3rd bedroom not all that different in size now and it works well with a bit of layout planning. Do yourself a favor and don't try to use multiple lightstands. Your client will be stumbling over them as you might too. Use wall mounted light stands that fold back when not in use if the landlord will allow, and look into a roll down system for multiple paper backdrops. They typically use floor to ceiling poles that do double duty as light stands as needed. Saves a lot of setup time, refreshes for every shoot. You're not likely going to be able to use more than 5' wide in most circumstances and in a pinch roll all the paper up out of the way and use a backdrop secured w/double-faced tape to the wall so as to avoid any more projection into the studio space.

You'll appreciate the open floor space more than you might realize.
Listen to this guy, he knows what he is talking about.
01-10-2020, 10:14 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

This is just for my hobbyist use and I am trying to come up with affordable ideas.

The generally positive response is encouraging.
01-10-2020, 10:16 AM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My studio space and a couple pictures from it. In this case I used a cloth background, and I love that gray one. Very adaptable :
Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
01-10-2020, 10:29 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Note in the studio pics a small fan when I need hair or lace or whatever with some movement. There's a small wall monitor to tether with my camera so the client can see the shots too. Very small makeup desk with a mirror for quick touch-ups. There's extra modifiers and two short light stands I'll use for backdrop lighting or flags along with a spare 20W studio LED all hidden behind the backdrop. All the lights are constant LED and all left on stands except for one. All from the same manufacturer and series to avoid weird color changes across the scene.

In the second studio I'm setting up (son has moved out, YAY!) they'll all be Godox strobes and speedlights, but primarily because I already have 'em and don't want to spend needless money on more lights. I've not had any problem with using constant LED's FWIW, 6 available ranging in power from (2) 20W to 50W to (2)150W and 200W. And yes there are situations where the strobes will work out better. I'll just keep the two studios separate, with a trundle bed in the second which will serve photo duties for some shoots and with a small nightstand/table and tiny dresser in the dormer space allow for an overnite guest in emergencies. That keeps my wife from nixing the studio expansion

Last edited by gatorguy; 01-10-2020 at 10:44 AM.
01-10-2020, 10:47 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

This is just for my hobbyist use and I am trying to come up with affordable ideas.

The generally positive response is encouraging.
IIRC I spent less than $1600 on the lights and backdrop so it wasn't a huge expense. You could do just fine, and in fact great, with less lighting. Two will take care of it for the most part. Oh, and avoid "hot" lights in a small space, another reason for the LED's. You don't want to deal with face sweat if you can avoid it.
01-10-2020, 11:56 AM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Where are you located? Without HVAC your windows of opportunity for a comfortable environment will be limited. Hot summer days, cold winter days, muggy rainy days, not great times to be cooped up in a tin box with a least one other person.