Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-14-2020, 08:23 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Two AF-540s firing as slaves on KP?

I have two AF-540fgz flashes that I want to fire using the on-camera flash as a controller on my KP.
So, I registered one 540 with the camera. That flash fires when I use the KP's on-camera flash as a controller.
When I go to set the other 540 to wireless slave, that option is not available.

The picture shows the two LCDs on the flashes when I put the switch on each flash to "wireless." The LCD at the top of the picture is the flash that works.

---------- Post added 01-14-20 at 09:06 PM ----------

Sorry everyone. I just found the M/C/S button. Now, I've got the other flash working, but the one that was working isn't working. I don't know why this is so complicated.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
01-14-2020, 09:12 PM   #2
Pentaxian

are they set on the same channel?
01-14-2020, 09:51 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yes, they are set on same channel. I'm totally confused. I can't get them both to fire at same time. I can get both to fire individually, but only one fires and correctly illuminates the photo. One flash has three modes available in wireless: A, M and P-TTL (this is the one that illuminates correctly). The other flash only has A and M available in wireless mode and it doesn't illuminate the picture. Maybe I've got a wonky flash?
01-15-2020, 12:11 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mahanpots Quote
Yes, they are set on same channel. I'm totally confused. I can't get them both to fire at same time. I can get both to fire individually, but only one fires and correctly illuminates the photo. One flash has three modes available in wireless: A, M and P-TTL (this is the one that illuminates correctly). The other flash only has A and M available in wireless mode and it doesn't illuminate the picture. Maybe I've got a wonky flash?
Make sure both flash units slave modes are set to SL1 (slave 1) mode. This permits wireless P-TTL function.

01-15-2020, 12:11 PM   #5
Pentaxian

In the normal mode, not wireless, hold the light button until you see "SL", they both need to be "SL1", SL2 means it only fires when the other flash fires and is going off on the pre flash flashes.
01-15-2020, 12:14 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Optical triggering relies on "line of sight" between your camera flash and the slave units. What is the distance and what is the ambient light ?
01-15-2020, 12:18 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sorry everyone. I just found the M/C/S button. Now, I've got the other flash working, but the one that was working isn't working. I don't know why this is so complicated.
Do you have a copy of the AF-540 FGZ manual? As noted above, both flashes and the camera must be set to the same channel. This is done by registering both flashes to the camera.

Operation Manuals Download : Support & Service | RICOH IMAGING (Under Accessories)

Steve

01-15-2020, 02:27 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you so much everyone for your answers. I did figure it out. As some of you suggested, I set both flashes to SL-1 and everything worked. It's unclear to me what exactly SL-1 and SL-2 settings are for. My manual states:
"SL-1 when photographing in wireless mode
SL-2 when photographing with slave flash"

I thought I was photographing in wireless mode with two slave flashes, so which is it? wireless mode (SL-1) or slave flash (SL-2)?

Thank you all, again. I've included a picture of a 17-inch high pottery vase that I made, using my new set up: Two umbrellas with flashes and a graduated background.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
01-15-2020, 03:24 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Slave flash 2 is sometimes called dumb flash mode. It works by simply sensing that another flash has gone off and responds by triggering itself using the manual output that you have set it too. It can play no part in the PTTL protocol

You may well ask then why it was not contributing to the flash output when you had it in slave mode 2 originally. ? Because it would have been triggering on the pre flash and not the main one.

ps. nice vase

Last edited by pschlute; 01-15-2020 at 03:44 PM.
01-15-2020, 04:39 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Slave flash 2 is sometimes called dumb flash mode. It works by simply sensing that another flash has gone off and responds by triggering itself using the manual output that you have set it too. It can play no part in the PTTL protocol

You may well ask then why it was not contributing to the flash output when you had it in slave mode 2 originally. ? Because it would have been triggering on the pre flash and not the main one.

ps. nice vase
Thank you for the explanation. Perhaps one day I'll use the dumb flash mode, and then I'll understand more fully.
01-15-2020, 04:59 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's unclear to me what exactly SL-1 and SL-2 settings are for. My manual states:
"SL-1 when photographing in wireless mode
SL-2 when photographing with slave flash"
The manual does not do a good job on this setting. The use of the terms "SL-1" and "SL-2" are common flash jargon related to settings where pre-flash may be part of the mix. As noted above, SL-2 sets the flash as a "dumb" slave while SL-1 indicates a slave that is pre-flash aware. Depending on flash and mode, being aware of the pre-flash may mean participation in TTL flash automation (P-TTL slave) or ignoring the pre-flash while waiting a period of time for the real thing (most speedlights and some P-TTL models operating as manual or "auto-thyristor" mode optical slaves).

In regards to that last, I have used my Yongnuo speedlights set to "SL1" for optical triggering in conjunction with P-TTL optical wireless flash. The combination works great for some subjects and allows for quick setup of a partial-TTL solution without a lot of RF trigger* stuff.

BTW...excellent vase and most excellent product shot.

Steve

* Yes, I could also do this with RF, but with less simplicity and requiring a larger budget.

Last edited by stevebrot; 01-15-2020 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Completeness