Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
01-19-2020, 12:07 PM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

I saw this transceiver time ago, and I found it interesting, but Adorama have very expensive shipping costs (50$ to Spain), by the moment.
Anyway, if Bruce find that a new single pin trigger is a more suitable solution, the XT16 can be an alternative. It's super cheap and sure you can find one without expensive shipping costs. Compared to the Adorama one, you get a very basic control group, but it will fire your AD200 regardless the lens. Another option is the XT32C (canon version), again maybe cheaper and more accesible than the Adorama's transceiver. The XT32C have a good group control, I still keep it as a backup trigger, and is quite nice.

A maybe ignored advantage of a no-Pentax dedicated Godox trigger is the 'support' for high-speed shooting. With the XproP, you get a slow firing rate (maybe 2 frames/sec ?). With a single pin (or Canon version) Godox trigger you'll get full firing rate, 8 frames/sec or whatever your camera had.

02-11-2020, 02:58 AM - 2 Likes   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Ok, so Adorama finally delivered that Flashpoint R2 SP trigger, thus far seems to work just as you'd expect. I connected my Takumar 50/1.4 m42 lens to the K-1 and placed the trigger on the hotshoe. I selected the right group and channel and set myself to Av mode. What struck me as immediately different to any of the other times I have connected a trigger (cactus) or using a flash in the hotshoe, was that I wasn't being 'locked' to 1/200 in Av mode. It was still behaving like as if there was no trigger connected 'up stairs'. So I could pan around my house and see teh shutter speed drop to 1/60, 1/30, 1/180 etc and it would still fire fine.
When going outside of course anything above 1/200 and the flash didn't fire (to be expected), but at least the shot still took, just flash did not contribute.

I can see myself having fun with a lot of manual focus glass, my intention would be to use Av mode indoors for events, and outdoors for HSS I would likely just use X Mode (which locks in 1/200) and then control exposure with aperture and/or ND filters.

I invested in the Xume system some time ago both in part to predicting this manual focus glass + HSS thing but also for landscape use;

The intention being to just quickly be able to pull a ND filter out to help with aperture control when shooting at 1/200 (allow for wider aperture shots outdoor).

Anyway, thus far I'm happy. My only gripe is that it's quite heavy once you have the AA's inside, and it 'wobbles' a little even when tightened on because not all the pins are falling into the holes in the hotshoe etc.
02-11-2020, 03:58 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
I invested in the Xume system some time ago both in part to predicting this manual focus glass + HSS thing but also for landscape use;
Thanks for the video. I didn't know about the Xume system. I've been interested lately in ND filters, for using flash outdoors, and this magnetic system seems quite interesting. If you need just one filter, it's cheaper that the STC optics filters option, because it seems you have to buy a whole set, that costs near 300$.

BTW, could you tell me what are the nice lens cup you have for your F-50mm lens? I was searching for one time ago, but only found a cheap one made of rubber.
02-11-2020, 12:50 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by morenjavi Quote
Thanks for the video. I didn't know about the Xume system. I've been interested lately in ND filters, for using flash outdoors, and this magnetic system seems quite interesting. If you need just one filter, it's cheaper that the STC optics filters option, because it seems you have to buy a whole set, that costs near 300$.

BTW, could you tell me what are the nice lens cup you have for your F-50mm lens? I was searching for one time ago, but only found a cheap one made of rubber.
I just quickly checked, in the video it's the FA77 mostly showing, I just have some kind of 52mm Sensei thing. When I place an order on B&H i often bung things into the cart like this that are otherwise perhaps harder to get or longer wait times from eBay (China). Perhaps it's this one? Sensei PRO 52mm Aluminum Lens Hood LHM-52 B&H Photo Video

I like B&H because the Sensei range of lens hoods seem to have the information whereby they specify the FullFrame focal length uses for the hoods.

I also realised as well with the Xume system, if you have the Xume Filter and a pinch style plastic lens cap, you can pinch the lens cap and slip a Xume Filter onto the lens cap and thus make a magnetic cap

I'm out of Xume Filters tho so won't be doing that, still nice to know.

My filter line up is kinda complete now, I have added a 77mm cpl and ND filter with Xume's to boot, quite an investment now! However, my advice to anyone reading this is to really rethink the whole filter thing from scratch. It might be cheaper and more streamline to just grabbing a new 77mm cpl/ND filter and with the use of cheaper step up rings manage to use these filters with the price Xume stuff to use on all lenses in your line up, including smaller tele lenses etc. I'm my own worst enemy as I shoot Primes, so I now have heaps of various cpl, nd and xume thingies spanning a wide range of lenses... $$$

02-11-2020, 01:59 PM   #20
Pentaxian

I just quickly checked, in the video it's the FA77 mostly showing
Sorry, I've seen your video on a bigger player and I realised that it's not the 50mm

Perhaps it's this one?
The Sensei seems a good cup, yes.
02-17-2020, 04:35 PM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
First work with the R2 SP trigger;

K-1+Velvet 56, ocf is a V1 at 1/1 to camera left, about 1-2m away from web to make those water droplets sparkle and shine.