Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2020, 08:14 AM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

GODOX AD300 PRO Announced

The Godox AD300 PRO (Flashpoint XPLOR 300 Pro) has been announced to slot between the AD200 and the AD400 in terms of power.

The form factor is a bit of a mix between AD200 and AD400, resembling the latter a bit more and lacking the flexibility to change the head from a bare bulb to a Fresnel or even round head as afforded by the AD200.

Sadly, the mount is the "native Godox" mount, i.e., not a Bowens mount, meaning one will need an adapter to get access to light modifiers using the most ubiquitous mount.

Still, this could be an interesting choice for those who value mobility and want a little bit more than an AD200. In terms of stated power, however, the difference will be only about 0.6 stops, which happens to be exactly the power difference between AD600 and AD400.

01-24-2020, 12:55 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The only real plus to that light over the AD200's seems to be bi-color modeling, which would mean the light would be halved or thereabouts anyway. I can't see any need for this myself with all the other minuses you mentioned. Gels are cheap.
03-02-2020, 04:28 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I talked about this on the Godox forum, and given its size and form I'm not sure who this strobe is attractive to. Wedding and event shooters love AD200's as they are (by all accounts) ridiculously slim and compact, and with an ADB2 bracket you can mount 2 in the one box giving you effectively the power of an AD400. Apart you can get a more versatile shoot (key+fill, key+rim etc). So yeah... just not sure who really wants a AD300... Either they more likely want a AD400 or 600. I'd be using ND filters to squeeze more power outdoors in (typically HSS scenarios) than going up to an AD300.

Just my 2 cents.
03-03-2020, 02:45 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
I talked about this on the Godox forum
Godox forum ?

with an ADB2 bracket you can mount 2 in the one box giving you effectively the power of an AD400
There could be a good discussion/debate about ADB2 + 2xAD200 vs AD400 .

just not sure who really wants a AD300
I think this flash is more like an AD400's little brother, too different from the AD200. Doesn't seem as portable as the AD200 (but still not a big flash), and of course you don't have interchangeable heads, etc.
But if a bulb light is enough for you, modeling light is valuable for you (I love my AD400's modeling light), and price is good... maybe you can consider it, instead of AD400.

03-03-2020, 03:08 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by morenjavi Quote
Godox forum ?

There could be a good discussion/debate about ADB2 + 2xAD200 vs AD400 .

I think this flash is more like an AD400's little brother, too different from the AD200. Doesn't seem as portable as the AD200 (but still not a big flash), and of course you don't have interchangeable heads, etc.
But if a bulb light is enough for you, modeling light is valuable for you (I love my AD400's modeling light), and price is good... maybe you can consider it, instead of AD400.
Godox Forum on Facebook. Honestly... Facebook has changed, its not the gossipy personalised friends falling out over trivial stuff that it used to be (), I use it purely for groups/pages/forums and business (photography page). You get a lot of help with lots of different forums, Godox, Pentax, Lightroom, Magmod etc... you name it.
03-06-2020, 09:47 PM   #6

I talked about this on the Godox forum, and given its size and form I'm not sure who this strobe is attractive to. Wedding and event shooters love AD200's as they are (by all accounts) ridiculously slim and compact...
Just me, but I think some folks are overestimating the size/form factor without scale on product images. Robert Hall's preview video:

shows (around the 30 second mark) that the AD300 Pro is roughly the same size as the AD200, bit bigger on volume, but shorter than the aD200+fresnel head, and thicker. But roughly the size of a large lens, and able to be stuffed into a camera bag lens slot. A mini AD400 Pro, or (more accurately) a poor-man's Profoto B10.
03-26-2020, 03:23 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Hello!

Official specs here
Lencarta have it on preorder here. 464.99. A bit expensive, isn't it ? I bought my nice AD400 for less than that.
But I recognise that it looks interesting.

Quarantined in Spain.
I hope you are all well.

Regards.
03-26-2020, 04:18 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by morenjavi Quote
Hello!

Official specs here
Lencarta have it on preorder here. 464.99. A bit expensive, isn't it ? I bought my nice AD400 for less than that.
But I recognise that it looks interesting.

Quarantined in Spain.
I hope you are all well.

Regards.
I think its overpriced, I think it's $500USD? should probably be more like $400USD. Some might say "but hey! AD200's are $550!" etc, but yes... and look at the ultra form factor they have. This thing is pretty much twice the size for a little more power. I personally would just go for the AD400's or AD600's and miss this one.

Even Rob Hall said he pretty much does weddings with 2x AD200's now (and a AD-B2 bracket), and that's what I'm discovering too. You have more versatility with that combination, if you don't need to fight the sun hardcore, 1x AD200 is typically enough, leaving another one spare or used as fill/rim. If you do need more power then use the AD-B2 and put both of them together which is more powerful than this thing. It just feels like this strobe is in 'no man's land' and quite pricey at that.

Take care, I hear Spain is getting thumped

03-27-2020, 03:37 AM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think its overpriced, I think it's $500USD? should probably be more like $400USD.

Even Rob Hall said he pretty much does weddings with 2x AD200's now (and a AD-B2 bracket), and that's what I'm discovering too. You have more versatility with that combination...
(
That's what I've been using for several months and yes it's extremely adaptable.

I'd suggest to anyone on the fence about getting either the AD200 or AD400 to choose a pair of AD200's with AD-B2 no question. I believe it was Robert Hall who determined there's more effective light output with that combo than a single AD400, and as you mentioned you have the option of using as a kicker and key instead. I can't personally say there's more light but my 200's are plenty bright even for overpowering afternoon sun and I would imagine you've found that to be true as well.