Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-06-2020, 12:18 PM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by inkista Quote
You can mix group modes.
Interesting that this is missing from the manual. I'm not saying you are wrong, just that the manuals instruct one to set the flash to manual mode in order to master a manual mode flash.

That is also incorrect. It's not full passthrough TTL, but it's not manual-only either.
Illustrations for the Pentax version show a standard ISO, non-dedicated hot shoe on the top. Perhaps you have a photo of one with a Pentax-dedicated shoe on top?

Name:  flashpoint.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  31.1 KB

AFAIK, no speedlights can be simultaneously a RF slave and an optical master or vice versa.
I was insufficiently clear, I fear and it may be that Godox may actually support this sort of thing. I sometimes use a mix of P-TTL and the YN560 III speedlights with the latter optically triggered by the former.* It would be nice to be able to mix the two with a wireless TX. The way it might work...
  • Godox X2T-P II or R2 Pro II triggered via wired PC
  • On-camera or built-in P-TTL (with or without optical slaves)
  • R600 speedlights controlled by TX
The enabling part is that the PC sync on Pentax is a separate circuit from the P-TTL sync. It only fires once and will do so at X-sync speed and below regardless of whether a P-TTL flash is active in the hot shoe.

Steve

* Have actually done a hacked SSH using the speedlights at full power with S2 optical triggering from an almost-nonparticipant P-TTL unit ...the duration is greater than the shutter dwell.

02-06-2020, 03:23 PM - 1 Like   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Interesting that this is missing from the manual. I'm not saying you are wrong, just that the manuals instruct one to set the flash to manual mode in order to master a manual mode flash.
For the group. Obviously, if you're not using TTL gear, setting the group to TTL doesn't work. But if you have a TTL light (AD200, V1, V860II) in Group A, and a TT600 on Group B, then Group B has to be in M for the power control to work properly. But Group A can be in TTL with FEC.

QuoteQuote:
Illustrations for the Pentax version show a standard ISO, non-dedicated hot shoe on the top. Perhaps you have a photo of one with a Pentax-dedicated shoe on top?
I stand corrected; I don't shoot Pentax and I don't have an X2T. I mostly go off Canon Godox system knowledge, and I keep forgetting Canon has the most functionality under Godox. The X2T Canon, Nikon, and Sony hotshoes are fully TTL-dedicated; it looks like the Olympus/Panasonic, Fuji, and Pentax ones are are not. YA different-system quirk to catalog [eyeroll]. Hang on... yup. Single contact on the X1T-O and X1T-F, too. Huh. Wonder why.

QuoteQuote:
I was insufficiently clear, I fear and it may be that Godox may actually support this sort of thing. I sometimes use a mix of P-TTL and the YN560 III speedlights with the latter optically triggered by the former.* ... *Have actually done a hacked SSH using the speedlights at full power with S2 optical triggering from an almost-nonparticipant P-TTL unit ...the duration is greater than the shutter dwell.
That's a clever way around the pre-flash timing issues.

QuoteQuote:
It would be nice to be able to mix the two with a wireless TX. The way it might work...
  • Godox X2T-P II or R2 Pro II triggered via wired PC
  • On-camera or built-in P-TTL (with or without optical slaves)
  • R600 speedlights controlled by TX

The enabling part is that the PC sync on Pentax is a separate circuit from the P-TTL sync. It only fires once and will do so at X-sync speed and below regardless of whether a P-TTL flash is active in the hot shoe.
Yeah, that might work.