Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-05-2020, 07:59 AM   #1
Veteran Member

I'm always confused about canon/nikon mount Yongnuo

So I have a yongnuo 560 ii. I used to use these aperture triggers which were okay..but often sketchy.

I'm planning to buy a 560IV and get a 560-tx II trigger for the camera. I'd like a receiver for the 560 ii. I'm debating the rf605. I read the 622 can sync with the 560tx, but I don't know if the 560 ii can be controlled by the 622 in terms of setting power/zoom etc. if not, it's kind of a waste to get that receiver (especially since the 622 is over 2x the price of the rf605.

Should I get the N or C mounts for the 560 tx and the receiver?

Can the 560 ii be controlled by the 622 to set power/zoom etc? or is there no point in getting that?

If the only thing the IV adds is the TX function, then I may just get the III as well.

02-05-2020, 10:28 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So far as I know, none of the 560 flashes can be controlled by the 622. (I will have to confirm and update.)

You should get the Nikon versions of the 560TX and receiver. I personally have been able up get the RF-603Cii to work on Pentax, but others have had problems.
02-05-2020, 02:32 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by crossmr Quote
I'm planning to buy a 560IV and get a 560-tx II trigger for the camera.
Get the Nikon version of the TX. I use mine on the K-3 with zero issues and the unexpected bonus of having shutter-half press wake up the TX.

Added: As for the 622, it acts as a dumb RX when addressed by the YN 560-TX II. (No mechanism to communicate through the hot shoe to generic speedlights such as the YN 560II and even with a dedicated TTL flash on the 622, support is limited to wake-up. Probably cheaper to get another 560IV.)

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 02-05-2020 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Corrected wrong RX note.
02-05-2020, 04:03 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Get the Nikon version of the TX. I use mine on the K-3 with zero issues and the unexpected bonus of having shutter-half press wake up the TX.

Added: As for the 622, it acts as a dumb RX when addressed by the YN 560-TX II. (No mechanism to communicate through the hot shoe to generic speedlights such as the YN 560II and even with a dedicated TTL flash on the 622, support is limited to wake-up. Probably cheaper to get another 560IV.)

Steve
Okay. I watched this video last night:
where a guy had a 568EX II and was able to control it through the 622c but I wasn't sure what models could do that and which couldn't.

another 560 IV is 4x the price of a 605n so I'll probably do that for now and get another IV later if I really need it.

---------- Post added 02-06-2020 at 08:06 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
So far as I know, none of the 560 flashes can be controlled by the 622. (I will have to confirm and update.)

You should get the Nikon versions of the 560TX and receiver. I personally have been able up get the RF-603Cii to work on Pentax, but others have had problems.
I wonder if that's the issue I had with my aputure triggers that I got years ago. I might have gotten canon mount ones because I'd read those were the ones to get for Pentax somewhere. They usually worker, but just about every shoot there would be a point where I'd get a little shutter lag (always at 180 or less) or they would only seem to fire every other shot for a little while.

Last edited by crossmr; 02-05-2020 at 04:10 PM.
02-05-2020, 04:42 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I'm always confused about canon/nikon mount Yongnuo
A partial remedy for the confusion may be found in user guide for the YN650-TXII. It supports both C and N versions and for the C version includes the following text:
QuoteQuote:
More suitable for Canon cameras.
For the N version there is similar:
QuoteQuote:
More suitable for Nikon cameras.
Directly beneath both of the above is:
QuoteQuote:
When this controller is used for non-dedicated
cameras, it won't support waking the flash up from
the camera, and the triggering function will be
unrestricted.
My take away as far as the YN560-TXII is that it works with anything having an ISO-compliant hot shoe and will support TX (and compatible RX) wake-up through the appropriate dedicated shoe. An additional caution might be awareness of potential incompatibility of dedicated pins on the TX with contacts on the shoe. Happily, the Nikon version mates fairly cleanly to Pentax with retention of the "wake-up" functionality. Waking up the camera will wake up the YN560-TXII and any paired flashes/RX that are also asleep.

A few points of YN560-TXII ambiguity:
  • Zoom is manually set on TX with no automation even for Canon/Nikon and is per group
  • Despite marketing materials, the so-called PC port does not support wired sync to the TX, at least not with any cable in my box. Its purpose, according to the user guide, is support of remote RF shutter triggering using a compatible Yongnou TX and appropriate cable. The YN560-TXII is a hot-shoe only device.
  • While the TX is broadly compatible with Yongnuo RX and wireless-capable flash, it operates in either 603 or 602 communications mode. The existence of this setting (603 is default), means that all flash and RX must support and be configured to the set mode in order to pair.

Am I happy with my YN560-TXII? Definitely, though my needs are simple.

Steve
02-05-2020, 05:14 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

where a guy had a 568EX II and was able to control it through the 622c but I wasn't sure what models could do that and which couldn't.
This is interesting. The key is that he had a Canon-compatible RX mated to a Canon-dedicated flash. Similar might be possible with the Nikon-compatible RX mated to the Pentax-dedicated YN585EX, though I have my doubts since Pentax flash dedication does not support control of shoe-mounted manual flash output from the camera.

Steve
02-05-2020, 06:14 PM   #7

So I have a yongnuo 560 ii. I used to use these aperture triggers which were okay..but often sketchy.

I'm planning to buy a 560IV and get a 560-tx II trigger for the camera. I'd like a receiver for the 560 ii. I'm debating the rf605. I read the 622 can sync with the 560tx, but I don't know if the 560 ii can be controlled by the 622 in terms of setting power/zoom etc. if not, it's kind of a waste to get that receiver (especially since the 622 is over 2x the price of the rf605.
Just stop.

Don't go Yongnuo. They're a mess of incompatible triggering systems. They're desperately attempting to reconcile the 622 and 560 gear with their YN-560-TX Pro, but the firmware updates aren't out; the ones that are aren't really working, and you basically can't use the 622 and 560 gear directly unless you force the 622 gear to be manual-only 60x/560 gear, and the 622s don't support Pentax TTL/HSS/power control anyway.

Just. Don't. I say this as someone who used a YN-560 with the RF-602 triggers, and later moved to the 622C-TX and 622C transceivers with her Canon gear. They were awesome systems back in the day, but trying to integrate them or use them with non-Canon/non-Nikon systems is a PITA (although yes, if you have matching Canon 622C-TX and 622C transceivers and/or 685 or other built-in 622 speedlight for Canon, you do get sync and remote M power control even on non-Canon hotshoes. Canon RT gear does the same thing). But I left Yongnuo behind when I went mirrorless.

QuoteQuote:
Should I get the N or C mounts for the 560 tx and the receiver?
Neither. (See below for better solution).

QuoteQuote:
Can the 560 ii be controlled by the 622 to set power/zoom etc? or is there no point in getting that?
No point. Turn your 560 II over, and look at its foot. It only has the sync pin. That means the only signal it can receive from any hotshoe, camera or trigger, is the sync ("fire!") signal. No TTL, no HSS, no power control, no zoom. That's on the other pins. Which would only be there for Canon or Nikon on a TTL Yongnuo flash, anyway. They haven't gotten around to supporting Sony yet. They've never announced plans to support Pentax with their triggers (despite the YN-585EX).

The only YN-560 models that can be power-controlled remotely are the ones with the built-in radio triggers: the YN-560 III, -IV, -660, and 560Li (aka the YN-720, iirc. I may not. It's easy to get lost with all the Yongnuo models, and I've stopped maintaining the stackexchange Q&A where I used to track their massive model proliferation).

QuoteQuote:
If the only thing the IV adds is the TX function, then I may just get the III as well.
The only thing the IV added over the III was Tx function.The YN-660 added three groups, zoom to 200mm, and a YN-685-like exterior and controls. The YN-560Li added li-on battery pack. The only thing the RF-605 adds over the RF-603 II is group on/off control. And it's still all a mess.

Okay. Better solution.

Dump your YN-560 II; forget about add-on receivers. Get a Godox TT600 instead.

It's $60 in the US from Adorama. While Godox doesn't offer customer support or warranty replacment, Adorama (and B&H) will cover you for these things in the US. Other retailers do it in other countries. Like a YN-560 IV, it has a transceiver unit built-in that allows for remote group and power control as an off-camera flash. There's no wakeup or zoom control, but unlike the Yongnuo gear it does HSS as a radio slave if you use the Godox XPro-P ($70), Flashpoint R2 Pro II-P ($70), or X2T-P ($60) transmitter (or TT350-P or V1-P speedlight) on your camera as radio master.

And the Godox system has been integrated from the get-go with its TTL and manual gear, and its AD Witstro lights (AD200, AD400 Pro, AD600, AD600 Pro). And many of their AC-powered studio strobes are also compatible. You don't have to navigate some crazy maze of incompatibilities like you do with Yongnuo, and the expansion options are much much better. And it costs roughly the same at the low-end single-pin manual speedlight level.

Right now, Godox does not have complete support for Pentax, the way it does for Canon, Nikon, Sony, Fuji, and Olympus/Panasonic. There's no TT685-P, V860II-P, or V350-P speedlight models for on-camera TTL; But there is a TT350-P mini speedlight ($85) and a V1 round-headed speedlight ($260). And for off-camera, any of the other-flavor V860II ($180) and the Canon-flavor TT685 ($110) will be an off-camera TTL/HSS/zoom radio slave to the -P transmitters, if their firmware's been updated.

Just saying. Go Godox, not Yongnuo. They're miles ahead at this point.

See also: https://www.diyphotography.net/the-godox-xpro-p-flash-trigger-is-a-game-chan...photographers/

Last edited by inkista; 02-05-2020 at 06:47 PM.
02-05-2020, 06:29 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Followup on the 622 - it really was intended as a dedicated transceiver for e-TTL or i-TTL and would not add anything for the 560ii. I wouldn't spend extra for it unless you also use actual Canon or Nikon gear. And, as inkista says, you may want to consider other systems; your 560ii is only going to be a manual flash, so there is nothing tying you to YongNuo at this point.

That said, I have a pair of 560iiis, a 560TX to control them, and a bag of cheap old manual flashes on RF603s for background fill that really does everything I need for off-camera flash. YMMV.
02-05-2020, 07:27 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by inkista Quote
Okay. Better solution.

Dump your YN-560 II; forget about add-on receivers. Get a Godox TT600 instead.
I'm a Godox fan, so I will play along.

There's no wakeup or zoom control, but unlike the Yongnuo gear it does HSS as a radio slave if you use the Godox XPro-P, Flashpoint R2 Pro II-P, or X2T-P transmitter on your camera.
So far, so good; remote wireless zoom and wake-up are sort of nice, but HSS over wireless from a Pentax-dedicated TX is nice too.

That being said, if a person (say the OP) currently owns zero RF wireless stuff from either company, the round goes to Yongnuo. Such is particularly true if manual (non-P-TTL) flash is the intent. I own the YN560-TXII and two YN560 III and use them exclusively full manual. I would like the ability for optical or PC trigger of the TX to allow P-TTL flashes into the mix, but I am still happy. My total cost was low ($129 USD) and the stuff simply works. Notice zero reference to 622 dedicated TX/RX, they are a red herring.

Despite my fondness for Godox, I would likely do the same today unless I really, really, really needed their HSS solution and/or had committed to purchase of body where I might really need a compact and relatively powerful P-TTL flash. There is little reason to go that direction simply to get a Pentax-dedicated TX when I am not able to control anything Pentax-specific other than a TT350P or a $260 V1 or a $350 AD200Pro.

TT600 as a TX...perhaps, but it sounds like a clumsy solution in search of a problem.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 02-05-2020 at 07:33 PM.
02-05-2020, 07:35 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
That said, I have a pair of 560iiis, a 560TX to control them, and a bag of cheap old manual flashes on RF603s for background fill that really does everything I need for off-camera flash. YMMV.
Yep...easy, peasy...

Steve
02-05-2020, 08:48 PM   #11

I'm a Godox fan, so I will play along.

QuoteQuote:
That being said, if a person (say the OP) currently owns zero RF wireless stuff from either company, the round goes to Yongnuo. Such is particularly true if manual (non-P-TTL) flash is the intent.
However, this is a big assumption. Many of us like using flashes both on and off camera. If you want to travel light, lugging a lighting bag with you may be a no-go, vs. being able to stuff a TTL speedlight into the camera bag. Event or social shooting, or chasing kids around the house, a single-pin manual flash designed mostly for off-camera kinda sucks.

And while currently Godox doesn't have a TT685-P, I have a feeling that may be because Godox is planning on refreshing their speedlight lineup. The TT600, TT685, V850II and V860II are more than five years old as models. If Godox comes out with something better than a YN-585EX for on-camera P-TTL that you can also use as your radio transmitter for studio strobes?

And, you're also making the assumption you won't need anything more powerful or with a bigger spread than a GN 60m speedlight. But there are a lot of monolight owners who would disagree.

QuoteQuote:
I own the YN560-TXII and two YN560 III and use them exclusively full manual.
Well, it's not like you actually have a choice to use them in TTL or HSS, do you?

I get the Strobist mantra. But I also was envious of Joe McNally and his insanely expensive Profoto gear demonstrating how TTL, if you have TTL locking, and group ratios can be seriously nice to use. TTL lets you drag your iso, aperture, and distance, not just your shutter speed. And that's something manual-only users don't get: how quickly/soon they lock in their distance/iso/aperture settings to make the math easy.

QuoteQuote:
I would like the ability for optical or PC trigger of the TX to allow P-TTL flashes into the mix, but I am still happy. My total cost was low ($129 USD) and the stuff simply works. Notice zero reference to 622 dedicated TX/RX, they are a red herring.
Right. But two TT600 and an XPro-P would be $190. Only $60 more than your YN-560-TX, and you have HSS, and the ability to add in TTL gear, bare bulb flashes, and studio strobes, and still maintain TTL/HSS/remote power/group/zoom/modeling light control over both the strobes and the speedlights.

You throw in a DigiBee400 or something with your YN-560 setup, and you have to cable a receiver to it, and you can only sync it. You decide you want a Godox AD200, and you have to cable a receiver to it, and you can only sync it. You want to throw in a YN585EX you have, and you can only sync it, with the Yongnuo system.

And you saved all of... $60.

QuoteQuote:
Despite my fondness for Godox, I would likely do the same today unless I really, really, really needed their HSS solution and/or had committed to purchase of body where I might really need a compact and relatively powerful P-TTL flash.
Or. You wanted to expand to more powerful, bare bulb lights with a much more pleasing and even spread than the weird patterns fresnel heads throw. As in, maybe you want to do full-length portraits with just one key light. Or you need to shoot a group of 10 people with one light. Or you need to light up a bigger space than a speedlight lets you. Or you want to shoot day for night and just needed more power.

QuoteQuote:
There is little reason to go that direction simply to get a Pentax-dedicated TX when I am not able to control anything Pentax-specific other than a TT350P or a $260 V1 or a $350 AD200Pro.
But that's incorrect. The TT350P and V1-P are your only on-camera P-TTL choices; but off-camera you can use the TT600 or V850II for power/group/HSS control (single-pin manual flashes), and the V860II of all flavors or the TT685-C (once firmware updated) as off-camera TTL/HSS/power/group/zoom control slaves, as well as the AD200, AD200 Pro, AD400 Pro, AD600, AD600 Pro; with group/power/modeling light control AC-powered strobes in the MS, DP III, DPII, SKII, GS II, QSII, and QTII (you get HSS with those, too) series.

Godox's TTL/HSS support (except on the X1R and 350 mini speedlights) is cross-brand when the firmware's updated. I have a TT685-C. I use it in TTL/HSS on the hotshoe of my Canon 5DMkII. I also use it off-camera as a TTL/HSS slave to the Godox XPro-C on my 5DMkII; and the XPro-O on my Panasonic GX7; and the XPro-F on my Fuji X100T.

Also, an An MS300 has more power than an AD200 and cost about a third as much. About the same price as a TT685, really. It's low-end and doesn't autodump, but it's a nice inexpensive AC-powered strobe if you're going home studio.

QuoteQuote:
TT600 as a TX...perhaps
Nah, not really. Being single-pin the TT600 can't be an HSS master. I'd actually say, get a TT600 for off-camera and a TT350-P instead of an on-camera transmitter, if you want a TTL/HSS fill flash on-camera as well as off-camera flash at the same time. But it can't do TCM (TTL locking), like the Pro triggers can.

TCM is the big reason Godox TTL for off-camera can be useful. You can shortcut all the chimpa/adjust/reshoot power adjusting or hauling out a light meter, by just using TTL to get into the ballpark fast, then flip everything to M mode with TCM to lock/fine tune the power on the lights. And you aren't plagued with the shot-to-shot inconsistency that manual-only shooters complain is the reason you don't do TTL, back before TTL locking was introduced by Profoto about five years ago. Godox and Cactus only make it affordable about two years ago, so there's a reason most folks aren't conversant with it, and still proclaim loudly that manual is all anyone would ever want; when really what they mean is they don't want to spend more on TTL.

If $60 savings is worth cutting yourself off from this fun, then more power to ya. You do what makes you happy.

Last edited by inkista; 02-05-2020 at 08:54 PM.
02-05-2020, 08:50 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

However, this is a big assumption.
Actually, that is pretty much what the OP said.

Steve
02-05-2020, 08:51 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Well, it's not like you actually have a choice to use them in TTL or HSS, do you?
Well, actually, not using either was my intent.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 02-05-2020 at 09:47 PM.
02-05-2020, 09:45 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Right. But two TT600 and an XPro-P would be $190. Only $60 more than your YN-560-TX, and you have HSS, and the ability to add in TTL gear, bare bulb flashes, and studio strobes, and still maintain TTL/HSS/remote power/group/zoom/modeling light control over both the strobes and the speedlights.

You throw in a DigiBee400 or something with your YN-560 setup, and you have to cable a receiver to it, and you can only sync it. You decide you want a Godox AD200, and you have to cable a receiver to it, and you can only sync it. You want to throw in a YN585EX you have, and you can only sync it, with the Yongnuo system.

And you saved all of... $60.
I saved a whole lot more than that! I have no need for that list of stuff and am unlikely to ever need such to support my style of photography.

But that's incorrect. The TT350P and V1-P are your only on-camera P-TTL choices; but off-camera you can use the TT600 or V850II for power/group/HSS control (single-pin manual flashes)...
Correct me if I am wrong, but neither of those P-TTL choices are capable of acting as R2 master for manual flash while configured for P-TTL, right? I also seem to remember that the hotshoe pass-through on the R2 MkII is standard ISO only with no Pentax dedication. Translation...no mixed P-TTL/manual flash R2 wireless groupings.

I guess that means the only advantages would be R2 HSS for remote TT600 (requires R2 MkII or R2 Pro) and the ability to do RF wireless P-TTL using any number of R2 P-TTL capable devices, only three of which are priced under $150 USD.

Got it. I think I will skip until Godox provides better R2 support for mixed manual/P-TTL setups using moderately-priced components.

As far as Yongnou is concerned, I would really love support of optical or PC sync signal on a YN560-TX II successor. That would allow a mix of on-camera and optical wirelss P-TTL along with RF wireless speedlights.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 02-05-2020 at 09:56 PM.
02-06-2020, 01:40 AM   #15

Correct me if I am wrong, but neither of those P-TTL choices are capable of acting as R2 master for manual flash while configured for P-TTL, right?
Nope. They're perfectly capable of being an R2 master for the manual flashes as well as the TTL ones. You can mix group modes. The Godox transmitters are like if you had a Yongnuo 622-TX that could trigger and power control the 560/60x gear while still maintaining TTL/HSS with the TTL/HSS Yongnuo gear.

QuoteQuote:
I also seem to remember that the hotshoe pass-through on the R2 MkII is standard ISO only with no Pentax dedication. Translation...no mixed P-TTL/manual flash R2 wireless groupings.
That is also incorrect. It's not full passthrough TTL, but it's not manual-only either. It's more a slave in group A. But the X2T-P's hotshoe does allow for TTL/power control/HSS for any TTL/HSS speedlight mounted on top of it, and it is assigned a group.

QuoteQuote:
I guess that means the only advantages would be R2 HSS for remote TT600 (requires R2 MkII or R2 Pro)
And HSS. And both would also work with the X2T-P transmitter, as well as the Pro triggers.

QuoteQuote:
and the ability to do RF wireless P-TTL using any number of R2 P-TTL capable devices, only three of which are priced under $150 USD

And a new AF360FGZII, AF540FGZ, or Metz 52AF is less than $150 new?

QuoteQuote:
I think I will skip until Godox provides better R2 support for mixed manual/P-TTL setups using moderately-priced components.
Your choice. I agree that until there's a TT685-P equivalent, it's hard to find something affordable if you want on- and off-camera P-TTL and something more powerful than a TT350.

But mixed manual/TTL is not an issue with the Godox transmitters. Which is, of course you think is how it works because that's exactly what the Yongnuo gear can't do.

QuoteQuote:
As far as Yongnuo is concerned, I would really love support of optical or PC sync signal on a YN560-TX II successor. That would allow a mix of on-camera and optical wireless P-TTL along with RF wireless speedlights.
AFAIK, no speedlights can be simultaneously a RF slave and an optical master or vice versa. They typically can only do one system at a time. Even the OEM gear. And none of the radio transmitters have optical capabilities of any kind.

A Godox TT685-C/-N/-S can be a radio master/slave and a "smart" optical master/slave, but Godox seems to have dropped that capability with all their latest models (AD400 Pro, V1, etc.) so I have a feeling that optical P-TTL is not going to be a thing with Godox speedlights.

But. The Godox transmitters do sync input/output switching; they have a C.Fn for that. They're not like the Yongnuo triggers that are PC output only (well, ever since they removed the PC sync port from the RF-602TX). So you can hook a Godox transmitter up to a light meter or trigger your lights via another device. And you could attach an optical slave to the sync port of a Godox transmitter, configure it as input, and trigger everything over radio from a flash burst.

But I think the most perverse way to mess with your Godox lights is to use the GodoxPhoto smartphone app and a transmitter that speaks Bluetooth, like the X2T-P, the R2 Pro II or the A1. No TTL/HSS, but M power control, group on/off, modeling light control, and no need to buy another transmitter to work as your in-hand remote.