Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2020, 04:43 PM - 1 Like   #31
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dizzyfish Quote
Maybe because it is not that obvious. I only found this by carefully reading the manual, and I'm still not convinced it is supported (watch this space)... I suspect given the cost of dedicated Pentax flash units and the limitations on line of sight and 12m range, most people just go down the cheap RF route and cheap flashes... would probably still be cheaper than buying just the Pentax flashes.
I was looking at the supplement to Nigel McGregor's Pentax flash guide and found language that indicates that non-contributing controller over a manual slave is supported. I will ping Nigel for details, but it appears that the controller is set to PTTL controller and the slave to manual with both flash set to Slave 1 (SL1). I think the logic goes something like the slave detects and swallows the preflash sequence and responds to the main.

Steve

03-01-2020, 04:52 PM   #32

Original Poster
Just to let you know, I did a bit of experimenting this weekend.... the wireless manual slave (SL1) can be controlled by a wireless controller in P-TTL. The pre-flash and control flash of the on camera controller did not affect the final exposure, but did fire the slave(s) correctly. All good.

Incidentally, I did find some interesting things which maybe some of you can help with...

- I couldn't get the remote (O-RC1) to fire the on camera control flash (annoying)... did get it to fire in self timer mode without the remote. Any way around this?

- The adjustment of the older Pentax AF360/540FGX is not as fine as the newer AF360/540FGXII when used in manual slave mode. The flash output newer mkII models goes down to 1/256 whereas the older mkI models only go down to 1/32

- Is there a way of seeing a bright version of LV view? I have the Pentax K-70 HDMI connected to a monitor, and I am using the camera in live mode. Because I am trying to get just the flash light, I am dramatically underexposing the ambient light 4 or 5 stops, so when I am viewing my subject in Live mode, I cannot actually see the subject (the live view is too dark).... hence I cannot manually focus on the subbject (without temporarily whacking up the ISO, then focusing, then putting it back down to a normal level). I am sure I am being a numpty, and one of you clever chaps will tell me where I am going wrong?

Many thanks - Ian
03-01-2020, 05:13 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Just to let you know, I did a bit of experimenting this weekend.... the wireless manual slave (SL1) can be controlled by a wireless controller in P-TTL. The pre-flash and control flash of the on camera controller did not affect the final exposure, but did fire the slave(s) correctly. All good.
terrific! .....would imagine yer iso fer focus trick works or use a different variable for light n focus
03-01-2020, 06:36 PM   #34
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
- I couldn't get the remote (O-RC1) to fire the on camera control flash (annoying)... did get it to fire in self timer mode without the remote. Any way around this?
Choose remote with 3s self-timer?

and one of you clever chaps will tell me where I am going wrong?
Turn up the brightness on your monitor?

Steve

03-03-2020, 11:11 PM - 1 Like   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Excellent.

Very odd. I wonder if it could be due to the camera/flash entering sleep mode ? You could try changing the sleep settings on both. I use that remote to trigger my set up and it works fine, but I am using Cactus radio triggers.

- Is there a way of seeing a bright version of LV view? I have the Pentax K-70 HDMI connected to a monitor, and I am using the camera in live mode. Because I am trying to get just the flash light, I am dramatically underexposing the ambient light 4 or 5 stops, so when I am viewing my subject in Live mode, I cannot actually see the subject (the live view is too dark).... hence I cannot manually focus on the subbject (without temporarily whacking up the ISO, then focusing, then putting it back down to a normal level). I am sure I am being a numpty, and one of you clever chaps will tell me where I am going wrong?

Your solution is exactly what I would do.