Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2020, 09:11 PM   #1
Pentaxian

V1 Modelling Light Bug?

I'm looking for someone to test something to see if I am alone in this particular issue or whether it's affecting all Pentaxians. I posted the question on the Facebook Godox Forums but unfortunately no one on any other brand could reply or answer

In my particular test I had the following set up;

- K-1+Xpro-P
- 1x AD200
- 1x V1

I was doing a product shot, 'The Last Loo Roll' shot in fact

Key light was AD200 in a Beauty Dish, Backdrop Light was a V1+gels+Grid.

I got distracted on the shoot at home and came back to the shoot a few hours later, and I had lost a lot of ambient light in the home. I noticed my FA77 was struggling to nail focus for the shot, so i thought 'what a perfect time to see if the Modelling Light on my other/spare V1 could help out!

So I put my other V1 on my desk, turned on the modelling light feature (adjusted power to taste) and pressed the 'mode' button which allows for toggling of the modelling light feature to either stay ON for the actual shot or toggle OFF. I made sure it was set to toggle off for the shot and also ensured the Xpro-P did not have that support V1 to being contributing flash at all, i.e. off.

Unfortunately, what I was finding during the experiment was that although the V1 helped a treat to assist with the K-1/FA77 nailing focus, and the V1 modelling light would toggle off for the shot... what was happening is... some kind of lag and thus the modelling light was still being recorded in the shot Perhaps the instant shutter press>flash firing is so quick that although the V1 doing the modelling light was provided with the message to toggle off... the powering off of those modelling lights just fades or takes too long, and thus contributes to the shot.

Disappointing.

I have yet to do further testing, but it seems like that feature doesn't work really, which is saddening as it was supposed to be a solution to another issue I was having at event work where the modelling lights of AD200's would not penetrate the soft box sufficiently, and AF Assist beams in sufficient (or too centralised). I had hoped to ditch the Xpro trigger and instead use the V1 as a trigger AND modelling light to assist with focus from the OCF lights (yet not contribute to the shot itself)... there is a question mark over this now.

Can anyone test this?

I shall also try just mounting my V1's on the camera hotshoe and see if the same thing is happening there, though it will be difficult to ascertain this way.

TIA

BB

03-29-2020, 07:11 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use the AD200 with round head, AD400Pro and 600Pro with the Xpro-P. I used the modelling lights all the time. I haven't use a V1.

#1 tip for you:
Go download and install all the firmware updates for all your Godox stuff.
GODOX PHOTO EQUIPMENT CO.,LTD Download
Godox has fixed a whole laundry list of things, but they don't always provide a lot of detail on what changed.
03-29-2020, 04:00 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ProfessorBuzz Quote
I use the AD200 with round head, AD400Pro and 600Pro with the Xpro-P. I used the modelling lights all the time. I haven't use a V1.

#1 tip for you:
Go download and install all the firmware updates for all your Godox stuff.
GODOX PHOTO EQUIPMENT CO.,LTD Download
Godox has fixed a whole laundry list of things, but they don't always provide a lot of detail on what changed.
Good idea I'll do that today, I have a small silly product shot planned for later today that I can retest to see if the updates fixed it.
03-29-2020, 05:09 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Can anyone test this?
Hello.

I made the following test:

* K3-II with XproP on top
* GrB -> M 1/128 for AD200
* GrC -> OFF for V1
* V1 on a stand, modeling ON with OFF for actual shot, V1 is on slave mode

* camera pointing to the V1 head

When I click the shutter, the AD200 fires, V1 just disable the led light for the shot and enable it again, but nothing is registered on the pic, just a hint of light coming from the AD200. I tested the same at several speeds (including HSS speeds), no led light is registered from the V1. Then I set the led light to ON for the shot, the light is clearly registered. I got the same results regardless if the led light is enabled manually on the V1 or on the XProP.

Maybe the problem is your K1 camera, have you tested with your KP ?

Regards.

03-29-2020, 06:23 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by morenjavi Quote
Hello.

I made the following test:

* K3-II with XproP on top
* GrB -> M 1/128 for AD200
* GrC -> OFF for V1
* V1 on a stand, modeling ON with OFF for actual shot, V1 is on slave mode

* camera pointing to the V1 head

When I click the shutter, the AD200 fires, V1 just disable the led light for the shot and enable it again, but nothing is registered on the pic, just a hint of light coming from the AD200. I tested the same at several speeds (including HSS speeds), no led light is registered from the V1. Then I set the led light to ON for the shot, the light is clearly registered. I got the same results regardless if the led light is enabled manually on the V1 or on the XProP.

Maybe the problem is your K1 camera, have you tested with your KP ?

Regards.
Nope, I will test with KP also. Thanks for testing this. One thing I didn't mention, I was in X Mode on the K-1 (basically locks shutter speed to 1/200) and also I was in Live View mode and using a Vello radio remote to trigger the shot, perhaps this caused a mild delay of some sorts.
03-30-2020, 05:07 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Nope, I will test with KP also. Thanks for testing this. One thing I didn't mention, I was in X Mode on the K-1 (basically locks shutter speed to 1/200) and also I was in Live View mode and using a Vello radio remote to trigger the shot, perhaps this caused a mild delay of some sorts.
Hello. Tested on X mode, I added a remote (Phottix, 433Mhz) camera trigger to the mix, but I got same results. No problem with my camera and settings.
Regards.
03-30-2020, 02:14 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by morenjavi Quote
Hello. Tested on X mode, I added a remote (Phottix, 433Mhz) camera trigger to the mix, but I got same results. No problem with my camera and settings.
Regards.
Thanks again, did you update your firmware for your godox stuff at any time after your purchase?
03-30-2020, 03:28 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Thanks again, did you update your firmware for your godox stuff at any time after your purchase?
Nope, I didn't upgrade my V1, it has the v1.1 version (the original and only one for Pentax). About the XproP, I think I didn't upgrade the XProP too, anyway there is only one version for XProP, so you can only re-install the same version again.
But I think it doesn't hurt to reinstall the same version, maybe Godox fixed bugs silently and didn't develop new official versions. Some makers do it.
Good luck.

04-06-2020, 05:08 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

How is this all hooked up? Vello receiver wired to camera remote input?
In my case, I am hitting the shutter button or using the Pentax IR remote, and usually in M mode.
04-06-2020, 02:42 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ProfessorBuzz Quote
How is this all hooked up? Vello receiver wired to camera remote input?
In my case, I am hitting the shutter button or using the Pentax IR remote, and usually in M mode.
Yep, Vello connected by cable the camera remote input. I do also use the Pentax IR Remote, just depends if I think it will see the signal or not (the vello works everytime). The only issue I have with the vello is it sometimes locks up the camera, you have to pull the cable out, sometimes turn the camera off and on to get things working again, annoying..

I'm yet to test again with the V1 modelling light, I haven't done another studio product shot where using the V1 as a trigger or a second one as a modelling light has been required, will definitely have the shot done by the end of the week though and will update this thread.