Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2020, 08:13 PM   #1

Comparison of flash triggers?

I did a little searching but didn't find what I was looking for. What I was looking at is the Cactus V6 II and Godox XProP TTL.

So some background...
I use flash often enough that I can usually count the uses per year on one hand.
I have: K3 II, mecablitz 26 AF-2, and a 15 year old Promaster something (big flash taking 4 AA batteries).
I still have a modified first run on the Cactus trigger. Worked the last time I used it 5 years ago...

It looks like the Cactus V6 II would be the best option as it work with anything. The Godox trigger is cheaper but I don't see a Pentax remote flash controller (do they only work with Godox flashes?).

Since I don't use it often, this isn't a required purchase but a TTL trigger would be nice or at least one which would eliminate walking to each flash to program.

Are there other brands I'm missing? I'm thinking two of the V6 II is my best route.

03-31-2020, 08:44 PM   #2
Pentaxian

not sure of the mecablitz 26 AF-2 compatibility with cactus v6 or v6ii........I do have a promaster 7500edf that is responsive with either v6 (power) / v6ii (power & zoom)

i'm not much help but considering the flashes you have and not expecting other flashes the cactus v6 maybe the best choice given you may find 2 of them for the price of 1 v6ii

have no knowledge in regards to godox
03-31-2020, 09:07 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aaron28 Quote
not sure of the mecablitz 26 AF-2 compatibility with cactus v6 or v6ii........I do have a promaster 7500edf that is responsive with either v6 (power) / v6ii (power & zoom)

i'm not much help but considering the flashes you have and not expecting other flashes the cactus v6 maybe the best choice given you may find 2 of them for the price of 1 v6ii

have no knowledge in regards to godox
Yes, I have the 7500edf. The mecablitz is a small P-TTL flash (2 x AAA batteries) so it's not powerful but it does fit in a pocket. Much better than a pop-up flash (not that I have a pop-up flash). Anyway, I would assume if one works, they'll both work.

I have considered the V6 due to price.

03-31-2020, 09:27 PM   #4
Pentaxian

well compatibility or not, only having 2 v6 units...one on camera and one for flash...the 26 af-2 could use the TTL pass through on the on camera unit if found not compatible....ya would need a 3rd for both flashes off camera if comp

04-01-2020, 06:06 AM   #5
Pentaxian

The Cactus V6II is compatible with the Metz AF26-AF1 and it is likely that it will be compatible with the AF26 AF-2 as well. However, I wouldn't 100% rely on it.

The Godox triggers are good (the Flashpoint R2 Pro MarkII is the best) but in combination with Pentax they are only useful for triggering Godox flashes/strobes. The only dedicated receivers are for Canon and Nikon and while they could trigger your flashes, they wouldn't be able to remotely control the power levels, let alone use the P-TTL protocol.

The Cactus V6 II has the best interoperability and is very nicely featured. In terms of allowing hardware from different manufacturers to work together, it has no competition. There are more triggers available for Pentax, but they all cater to their specific brand lighting solutions only (unless you could imagine finding Aokatec triggers, which used an optical->radio->optical approach).
04-01-2020, 09:26 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use my Godox XPro-P transmitter to control my Godox AD600BM and Godox AD200 on any of my Pentax cameras. The transmitter enables TTL or Manual mode on both my AD600 and AD200. Grouping and control over power, along with other features, are available also using the transmitter.

I have 3 Pentax AF360FGZ flashes and a Yongnuo flash which I can add to the above mentioned lights if I utilize optical firing on them, but if I want to control them by themselves I utilize my Cactus V-5 transceivers.

I am resorting to the Godox lights and transmitter due to the capability of the Godox system lights to store power and provide it dependably for a reasonable length of time.
04-03-2020, 08:15 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
The Cactus V6II is compatible with the Metz AF26-AF1 and it is likely that it will be compatible with the AF26 AF-2 as well. However, I wouldn't 100% rely on it.
I'd have to dig through my emails but... I contacted Metz because I downloaded the new firmware for my 26 AF-2 and the firmware file stated 26 AF-1. Grumbling about my inability to read, I downloaded it again but it was still the wrong firmware. Not wanting to toast my new flash, I emailed support. Their response was the flashes are identical. The only difference was the contents of the box. The 26 AF-2 came with and extra piece (plastic stand, velvet bag, or something).

---------- Post added 04-04-20 at 03:23 AM ----------

Thanks for the responses. It looks like the Cactus is still my best option considering what I have. Probably better stuff out there if I wanted to change strobe brands but that's excessive considering my limited flash use. I'm leaning towards the V6 due to prices and...

Cactuc V6 II states:
  • Support sync speed up to 1/8,000 second; (V6 is 1/1,000s)
  • High-speed sync modes: Normal HSS, Power Sync
The K3 II syncs at 1/180 and I haven't ventured into it's ability for HSS (not sure my flashes even support it). So I'm guessing these features are irrelevant with my current setup?

Update: Flashpoint R2 Pro might be an option. My wife has an R2 flash for her T5i/T7i and I have one for my Panasonic MFT. I would assume the wireless trigger would work with any R2 flash regardless of camera compatibility. But I'd probably forget them since they're in different bags than my Pentax.

Last edited by jspi; 04-03-2020 at 08:38 PM.
04-03-2020, 08:57 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jspi Quote
The K3 II syncs at 1/180 and I haven't ventured into it's ability for HSS (not sure my flashes even support it). So I'm guessing these features are irrelevant with my current setup?
yes sync speed is capped at 1/180 with pentax and non hss capable flashes.....if you had hss capable flashes the v6ii would be great but I do not believe the metz is hss and the 7500edf is certainly not...hence the v6 suggestion.....

again I do not know about godox but think flash point is the same rebadged and believe the triggers are system specific...…..
04-06-2020, 04:36 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jspi Quote
I would assume the wireless trigger would work with any R2 flash regardless of camera compatibility.
Yes, as long as you have the right type of trigger for the camera, the flashes will cooperate.

To make absolutely sure for the particular flash models you own, you could check whether Godox has released firmware updates that make them compatible with Pentax.