Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-12-2020, 06:44 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If I were you I'd go Godox if you have enough money.

I used to have a number of Cactus triggers but have got rid of them bar one V6II. I've kept this as I can then use my Pentax flash on pretty much any brand camera and still have ttl.

I don't particularly like Cactus mainly because of having to charge so many AA batteries.

If you have a two flash system it's four AA's for each flash, two AA's for each transceiver so it's 14 AA's required to be charged and ready for a two flash setup.

The lithium-ion batteries are great in the Godox setup.

You should also consider the V1 as that is available as a native Godox Pentax flash.

I have a Godox Ad200 and two Godox 850's. The 850's are manual flashes but do do hss and are still able to be controlled by the X-Pro-P trigger.

Last edited by howieb101; 06-12-2020 at 06:46 AM. Reason: Correction.
06-12-2020, 08:13 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by howieb101 Quote
If I were you I'd go Godox if you have enough money.

I used to have a number of Cactus triggers but have got rid of them bar one V6II. I've kept this as I can then use my Pentax flash on pretty much any brand camera and still have ttl.

I don't particularly like Cactus mainly because of having to charge so many AA batteries.

If you have a two flash system it's four AA's for each flash, two AA's for each transceiver so it's 14 AA's required to be charged and ready for a two flash setup.

The lithium-ion batteries are great in the Godox setup.

You should also consider the V1 as that is available as a native Godox Pentax flash.

I have a Godox Ad200 and two Godox 850's. The 850's are manual flashes but do do hss and are still able to be controlled by the X-Pro-P trigger.
Yeah the v1 flashes look awesome, and pretty darn affordable compared to petax/canon/nikon ones, considering the features and a gn92. I was interested in ad200 as well for a while. Godox seem to make pretty nice products and prices are reasonable.

I think I pretty much settled on the godox system. Now I just need to sell the Pentax flashes and some other gear I don't use much (trying to downsize my collection).

06-12-2020, 11:29 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
Wouldn't it just save me opening up my softboxes all the time to change some settings, or even to keep the flashes on since they switch off to save power after a minute or so?
That is the main advantage of wireless controlers. You can control
The flashes from the camera. I have catus v6 not v6ii which are not pttl and unfortunately not hss. I use them for manual. You have independent control of up to 4 groups with each group having 1/120 to 1/1 power in 1/3 ev steps. I don't realy miss pttl but it is nice to have for shooting quick with no set up time. If you are going wireless you might as well get pttl anyway, but more because if they support pttl they will most likely also support hss.
06-12-2020, 10:52 PM   #19
Forum Member

Now I just need to sell the Pentax flashes and some other gear I don't use much (trying to downsize my collection).
You could re-purpose your Pentax flashes and use them as slave flashes but it is an expensive way to use them.

06-13-2020, 06:48 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Batman_ Quote
You could re-purpose your Pentax flashes and use them as slave flashes but it is an expensive way to use them.
If I can't sell them, that's exactly what I will do lol. But ideally I'll offset some of that cost with the sale of my existing gear, times are rather uncertain these days, don't want to spend extra if I don't have to.

06-15-2020, 11:00 AM - 2 Likes   #21
Pentaxian

Hello,

Just wanted to add some comments.
So you have at present two Pentax flashes, and decided to go Godox way. Congrats. I decided to change my flash system to Godox time ago, and I have sold all my other triggers and flashes. I still keep a Metz p-ttl flash that is on sale.
There is of course a lot of possible combinations to start, but it seems that you want to start with a trigger and two flashes, so let me comment about that.

Notice that Godox have basic/manual and TTL speedlights, for example, v850II is a basic flash and v860ii is a flash that supports TTL (there is near 40$ price gap), but they are similar in power and features (except TTL). In theory, all v860ii series flashes support P-TTL. If I had to buy one v860II, I would choose the Canon version. Why? I have had many Canon devices that have worked with my camera hotshoe. As an example, I have two Godox triggers, Canon version, that i can use directly on my camera's hotshoe without issue. Of course, only basic features work. But I don't have a v860ii series flash to check this point. Also, you have 'V' versions and 'TT' versions of the same flash, TT uses AA batteries, and V uses lithium batteries. TT versions are cheaper. You have the TT600, that is similar to the V850II but cheaper (really, this is the Godox speedligh with the best price/features relationship), and you have the TT685 that is similar to the V860II.

So, you have to think if you prefer AA or lithium, and also if you want to pay the extra cost for a P-TTL flash. That is, do you need to use your speedlight during long periods? do you want to avoid using AA chargers? do you plan to use both V860II in P-TTL mode? Maybe you only need one P-TTL. My tests using two Godox flashes in P-TTL were a bit deceptive. My conclusions were that it makes sense to have only one P-TTL flash, used for main light, but no more. I didn't see any advantage for using more than one flash in P-TTL mode. This experience can be different for others. But the idea is to be sure if you need the TT/V series and M/P-TTL speedlight.

The only Godox speedlight that supports P-TTL on camera is the V1, that is a really great flash (I have one and I'm very happy with it). This speedlight is the most expensive, so you must think if it's worth it. Another great feature of this flash is that it have a master mode, so you can control other Godox flashes, and of course it has a slave mode, so this is the most flexible version for Pentax users. They also have a round head and magnetic accesories... that can be useful for you or not. I have it, and I love it.

About triggers, I have most of the current Godox triggers. In my opinion, the XproP is maybe the best, it's the most compatible (supports new X Godox devices but also old 433MHz devices) and I find more comfortable to use, compared to the X2T-P. There is a company, Adorama, that develops its own versions of Godox triggers, and this versions are superior to Godox ones, but they don't ship worlwide. Godox have cheap triggers like the XT-16 that supports only manual mode and no HSS; it's a cheap way to start, it depends on your needs, but maybe is better to start with the XproP. I have the X2T-P and it's a nice trigger. It has two features that I like: one is that it have a hotshoe on top, so you could use a flash on top, but just in manual mode, it's a single pin shoe. Also, for advanced users, you can play with the timming sync. But I just use this trigger to make 'experiments', my main triggers are the XproP and the Godox V1 flash, in master mode.

Adorama sells the R2 SPT single pin transceiver. This device, in receiver mode, can be used to trigger other no-Godox speedlights, so you have a Godox trigger on your camera, then a R2 SPT in receiver mode, and you Pentax flash on the SPT's shoe, and this way you could trigger your Pentax flashes (forget remote power control or P-TTL feaures). I don't have this transceiver, but maybe other forum members have one and can confirm my point.

So, the cheapest way to start with Godox could be:
* XT-16 trigger (sure you can get second hand for a few bucks)
* 2 x TT600 (60$ each)

If you plan to grow on Godox and don't like AA batteries:
* XproP trigger
* V860II (for your PTTL setups)
* V850II (to save a few bucks)

If you need more power:
* XproP trigger
* AD200 (supports PTTL)
* V850II/TT600 (secondary flash for fill, rim...)

If you finally have to keep your Pentax flashes, you can get a pair of FLASHPOINT R2 SPT transceivers, and add to the mix.

Regards.
06-15-2020, 11:23 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by morenjavi Quote
Hello,

Just wanted to add some comments.
So you have at present two Pentax flashes, and decided to go Godox way. Congrats. I decided to change my flash system to Godox time ago, and I have sold all my other triggers and flashes. I still keep a Metz p-ttl flash that is on sale.
There is of course a lot of possible combinations to start, but it seems that you want to start with a trigger and two flashes, so let me comment about that.

Notice that Godox have basic/manual and TTL speedlights, for example, v850II is a basic flash and v860ii is a flash that supports TTL (there is near 40$ price gap), but they are similar in power and features (except TTL). In theory, all v860ii series flashes support P-TTL. If I had to buy one v860II, I would choose the Canon version. Why? I have had many Canon devices that have worked with my camera hotshoe. As an example, I have two Godox triggers, Canon version, that i can use directly on my camera's hotshoe without issue. Of course, only basic features work. But I don't have a v860ii series flash to check this point. Also, you have 'V' versions and 'TT' versions of the same flash, TT uses AA batteries, and V uses lithium batteries. TT versions are cheaper. You have the TT600, that is similar to the V850II but cheaper (really, this is the Godox speedligh with the best price/features relationship), and you have the TT685 that is similar to the V860II.

So, you have to think if you prefer AA or lithium, and also if you want to pay the extra cost for a P-TTL flash. That is, do you need to use your speedlight during long periods? do you want to avoid using AA chargers? do you plan to use both V860II in P-TTL mode? Maybe you only need one P-TTL. My tests using two Godox flashes in P-TTL were a bit deceptive. My conclusions were that it makes sense to have only one P-TTL flash, used for main light, but no more. I didn't see any advantage for using more than one flash in P-TTL mode. This experience can be different for others. But the idea is to be sure if you need the TT/V series and M/P-TTL speedlight.

The only Godox speedlight that supports P-TTL on camera is the V1, that is a really great flash (I have one and I'm very happy with it). This speedlight is the most expensive, so you must think if it's worth it. Another great feature of this flash is that it have a master mode, so you can control other Godox flashes, and of course it has a slave mode, so this is the most flexible version for Pentax users. They also have a round head and magnetic accesories... that can be useful for you or not. I have it, and I love it.

About triggers, I have most of the current Godox triggers. In my opinion, the XproP is maybe the best, it's the most compatible (supports new X Godox devices but also old 433MHz devices) and I find more comfortable to use, compared to the X2T-P. There is a company, Adorama, that develops its own versions of Godox triggers, and this versions are superior to Godox ones, but they don't ship worlwide. Godox have cheap triggers like the XT-16 that supports only manual mode and no HSS; it's a cheap way to start, it depends on your needs, but maybe is better to start with the XproP. I have the X2T-P and it's a nice trigger. It has two features that I like: one is that it have a hotshoe on top, so you could use a flash on top, but just in manual mode, it's a single pin shoe. Also, for advanced users, you can play with the timming sync. But I just use this trigger to make 'experiments', my main triggers are the XproP and the Godox V1 flash, in master mode.

Adorama sells the R2 SPT single pin transceiver. This device, in receiver mode, can be used to trigger other no-Godox speedlights, so you have a Godox trigger on your camera, then a R2 SPT in receiver mode, and you Pentax flash on the SPT's shoe, and this way you could trigger your Pentax flashes (forget remote power control or P-TTL feaures). I don't have this transceiver, but maybe other forum members have one and can confirm my point.

So, the cheapest way to start with Godox could be:
* XT-16 trigger (sure you can get second hand for a few bucks)
* 2 x TT600 (60$ each)

If you plan to grow on Godox and don't like AA batteries:
* XproP trigger
* V860II (for your PTTL setups)
* V850II (to save a few bucks)

If you need more power:
* XproP trigger
* AD200 (supports PTTL)
* V850II/TT600 (secondary flash for fill, rim...)

If you finally have to keep your Pentax flashes, you can get a pair of FLASHPOINT R2 SPT transceivers, and add to the mix.

Regards.
Thank you for this! I will read it more carefully after work, but at quick glance this is very comprehensive, I appreciate you taking time to break this down for me.

06-15-2020, 02:39 PM - 1 Like   #23
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Excellent post @Morenjavi. Very informative. Just one correction here:
The only Godox speedlight that supports P-TTL on camera is the V1,
The Godox TT350P also supports PTTL on-camera. It can also be used as a controller for off-camera Godox strobes (with PTTL, HSS, etc). Apart from on-camera use, I also use mine off-camera controlled by an XProP

I wish Godox would release a PTTL version of the TT685 or V860ii as a more powerful on-camera (and off-camera) TTL flash that takes rectangular modifiers (I have a MagMod wildlife kit), to replace my Metz 58AF1.

Last edited by Des; 06-15-2020 at 02:50 PM.
06-15-2020, 02:56 PM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Excellent post @Morenjavi. Very informative. Just one correction here: the Godox TT350P also supports PTTL on-camera.
Hello Des, yes you are absolutely right! Not only supports P-TTL on-camera, but it was the first Godox speedlight to support it. Also it has master capabilities.

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
I wish Godox would release a PTTL version of the TT685 or V860ii as a more powerful on-camera TTL flash that takes rectangular modifiers (I have a MagMod wildlife kit), to replace my Metz 58AF1.
I wish the same. The V860II series is 100$ cheaper that the V1, and many users may prefer a V860II-P instead of a (round) V1-P.

Regards,
Javier.
06-15-2020, 09:07 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So I can pickup v860ii that will be the main light and can be controlled via Xpro controller (P-TTL, remote power control, hss). And get a V850II that can also do hss and power control, but not P-TTL. Is this correct?

I live in US, so adorama would work for me. In what way are their versions better than godox ones?

I think this godox system would be perfect for me. I never use flashes on camera anyway, and I just want to be able to control the flashes in my soft boxes.

In future I can also pickup either the V1 (GN92 is pretty powerful), or the ad200, and theoretically they'll just work out of the box with the xpro and other flashes right?

06-16-2020, 02:51 AM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

So I can pickup v860ii that will be the main light and can be controlled via Xpro controller (P-TTL, remote power control, hss). And get a V850II that can also do hss and power control, but not P-TTL. Is this correct?
Yes. There is one point about HSS on the V850II. On old Godox flashes like the AD360 or V850 (mkI), to get HSS working, there is a switch on the flash itself to set the flash in HSS mode. Later, Godox released the 'X' system and more modern flashes and triggers. With 'X' triggers and flashes you don't need to set HSS manually on the flash, the trigger just detects the speed on your camera and the trigger sets the remote flash in HSS mode. I have the V850 MkI, that is the previous model for V860II, and I need to set HSS manually. I think the V860II will support 'automatic HSS', but I see that is still have the button to set HSS manually, so I'm not 100% sure on this point.

I live in US, so adorama would work for me. In what way are their versions better than godox ones?
You can see all the extra features here.

I think this godox system would be perfect for me. I never use flashes on camera anyway, and I just want to be able to control the flashes in my soft boxes.
I think you'll be happy with this system.

In future I can also pickup either the V1 (GN92 is pretty powerful), or the ad200, and theoretically they'll just work out of the box with the xpro and other flashes right?
The V1 will work out of the box. For the AD200, maybe you'll need to install the last firmware that supports P-TTL for Pentax, but that's all. Just set the channel and group, and you're done.
06-17-2020, 04:10 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Yes. There is one point about HSS on the V850II. On old Godox flashes like the AD360 or V850 (mkI), to get HSS working, there is a switch on the flash itself to set the flash in HSS mode. Later, Godox released the 'X' system and more modern flashes and triggers. With 'X' triggers and flashes you don't need to set HSS manually on the flash, the trigger just detects the speed on your camera and the trigger sets the remote flash in HSS mode. I have the V850 MkI, that is the previous model for V860II, and I need to set HSS manually. I think the V860II will support 'automatic HSS', but I see that is still have the button to set HSS manually, so I'm not 100% sure on this point.
Sorry, V850(mk I) is the previous model for V850II, not V860II. The preceding paragraph refers to the V850II, not the V860II.
Regards.
06-17-2020, 09:48 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Last question - does it matter which flash version I should get, the Canon one, nikon one, or Sony? I think they also have fuji, and pana/oly.
In order to use shutter speeds beyond the sync-speed of your camera (1/200s for the K-1 (II), 1/180 for older models), you must use a Pentax-dedicated Godox trigger. My recommendation is the Flashpoint R2 Pro MarkII. It has the best usability and the most features.

There are only a few Pentax-dedicated flashes available from Godox, but that doesn't matter as long as you don't want to use them directly on the camera. Via radio control, all X2-compatible Godox flashes work fine with Pentax cameras.
06-17-2020, 10:46 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
In order to use shutter speeds beyond the sync-speed of your camera (1/200s for the K-1 (II), 1/180 for older models), you must use a Pentax-dedicated Godox trigger. My recommendation is the Flashpoint R2 Pro MarkII. It has the best usability and the most features.

There are only a few Pentax-dedicated flashes available from Godox, but that doesn't matter as long as you don't want to use them directly on the camera. Via radio control, all X2-compatible Godox flashes work fine with Pentax cameras.
Yup, that's how I thought it would work. I was just asking if any of the non-pentax flashes would fire via hotshoe mount, I think @Morenjavi suggested to get the Canon versions for that.

---------- Post added 06-17-20 at 01:49 PM ----------

You can see all the extra features here.

I think you'll be happy with this system.

The V1 will work out of the box. For the AD200, maybe you'll need to install the last firmware that supports P-TTL for Pentax, but that's all. Just set the channel and group, and you're done.
Thanks for the list of features, i'm definitely getting the flashpoint trigger at least. Are flashpoint flashes also improved, or are direct mirror's of the Godox ones?
06-17-2020, 11:04 AM   #30
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

There are only a few Pentax-dedicated flashes available from Godox,
...and there is the rub. The number is two, to be exact, the quite cool low-power TT350P and the $200 V1. It would be super if Godox offered a TT860IIP, but they don't.

Via radio control, all X2-compatible Godox flashes work fine with Pentax cameras.
I have had some degree of confusion there. My understanding has been that with X2, functionality only extends to the intersection of features between controller and flash. Are we sure that flashes other than the TT350P and V1 (say the TT685N) support Pentax P-TTL over X2?

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-17-2020 at 11:16 AM.