Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2020, 11:07 AM   #31
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2016
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,537
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
...and there is the rub. The number is two, to be exact, the quite cool low-power TT350P and the $200 V1. It would be super if Godox offered a TT860IIP, but they don't.



I have had some degree of confusion there. My understanding has been that with X2, functionality only extends to the intersection of features between controller and flash. Are we sure that flashes other than the TT350P and V1 (say the TT685N) support Pentax P-TTL?


Steve
I think @Morenjavi said he's using a godox system and confirmed that it functions with P-TTL. See that long and detailed post above in the thread.



06-17-2020, 11:38 AM   #32
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 37,920
QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
I think @Morenjavi said he's using a godox system and confirmed that it functions with P-TTL. See that long and detailed post above in the thread.
You mean this part?

QuoteOriginally posted by morenjavi Quote
In theory, all v860ii series flashes support P-TTL.
I don't know that they actually claimed to have used a v860II series flash as a P-TTL slave or what theory they were referring to. Granted, I don't regularly hang out in the flash forum, so this may have already been determined and discussed by others.


Steve
06-17-2020, 11:50 AM   #33
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2016
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,537
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
You mean this part?



I don't know that they actually claimed to have used a v860II series flash as a P-TTL slave or what theory they were referring to. Granted, I don't regularly hang out in the flash forum, so this may have already been determined and discussed by others.


Steve
Hmm guess I didn't pay enough attention. I though that's the combo he's using. Well, pttl would be awesome, but I would be happy with remote power control and hss as well if P-TTL is in fact not working with 860Ii's.

06-17-2020, 01:04 PM - 5 Likes   #34
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 434
Hello dear forum members.

Please let my clarify what I mean when I say 'in theory'. About the PTTL support on the V860II, I say in theory because I have not direct experience that some feature is supported, so I only know that some user has confirmed that this feature works or Godox confirmed such feature in some document.

In this case, this is what you can find if you look at firmware releases for V860II versions.

* V860IIC -> V1.7 1.Compatible with Godox wireless PENTAX X system. 2018-10-23
* V860IIN -> V1.8 1. Compatible with Godox wireless PENTAX system. 2018-10-23


And, for the other versions, let me just paste an image


So, this is what I mean, in theory V860II supports PTTL, but, as I don't have tested any V860II, I can't say this is 100% true. Of course, you need a Pentax trigger to enjoy such feature, and PTTL will not work if you put the flash directly on your Pentax camera.

Now I'd like to add a table with the triggers and Godox speedlights/flashes that I have tested during last years. It has notes about what features support and what not, such us:


* basic triggering -> that is, you can fire the flash below sync speeds and control remote power
* if you need a receiver on the flash
* Groups -> this means that you can enable and disable groups individually
* HSS -> you can fire the flash in HSS more, regardless if you need to put this mode manually on the flash
* PTTL -> supports PTTL for pentax cameras


I hope I haven't added a bug into the table and created more confusion.


Regards,
Javier.

06-17-2020, 01:24 PM   #35
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2016
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,537
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by morenjavi Quote
Hello dear forum members.

Please let my clarify what I mean when I say 'in theory'. About the PTTL support on the V860II, I say in theory because I have not direct experience that some feature is supported, so I only know that some user has confirmed that this feature works or Godox confirmed such feature in some document.

In this case, this is what you can find if you look at firmware releases for V860II versions.

* V860IIC -> V1.7 1.Compatible with Godox wireless PENTAX X system. 2018-10-23
* V860IIN -> V1.8 1. Compatible with Godox wireless PENTAX system. 2018-10-23


And, for the other versions, let me just paste an image


So, this is what I mean, in theory V860II supports PTTL, but, as I don't have tested any V860II, I can't say this is 100% true. Of course, you need a Pentax trigger to enjoy such feature, and PTTL will not work if you put the flash directly on your Pentax camera.

Now I'd like to add a table with the triggers and Godox speedlights/flashes that I have tested during last years. It has notes about what features support and what not, such us:


* basic triggering -> that is, you can fire the flash below sync speeds and control remote power
* if you need a receiver on the flash
* Groups -> this means that you can enable and disable groups individually
* HSS -> you can fire the flash in HSS more, regardless if you need to put this mode manually on the flash
* PTTL -> supports PTTL for pentax cameras


I hope I haven't added a bug into the table and created more confusion.


Regards,
Javier.
Appreciate a detailed post once again sir! Pretty comprehensive, and confirms your earlier post.
06-18-2020, 02:15 AM   #36
Pentaxian
Class A's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 10,832
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Are we sure that flashes other than the TT350P and V1 (say the TT685N) support Pentax P-TTL over X2?
Yes, see @morenjavi 's recent post.

This table could be extended to include more Godox/Flashpoint triggers. As long as both trigger and flash/strobe are in the X2 family, the trigger has Pentax dedication, and the flash/strobe has a firmware version with Pentax support, P-TTL is supported via radio.

There is one exception I'm aware of: None of the triggers support second-curtain sync.
However, the all important HSS is supported.
06-18-2020, 02:21 AM - 1 Like   #37
Pentaxian
Class A's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 10,832
QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
I was just asking if any of the non-pentax flashes would fire via hotshoe mount, I think @Morenjavi suggested to get the Canon versions for that.
If there is no Pentax dedication, it doesn't matter what brand the flash is meant for. With the possible exception of Sony, all brands will work on a Pentax camera up to the sync-speed (and without any P-TTL support).

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
Are flashpoint flashes also improved, or are direct mirror's of the Godox ones?
Most are identical copies.

However, Adorama has some Flashpoint-exclusive products that are still 100% compatible but that you cannot get in a plain Godox version. The Flashpoint R2 Pro MarkII trigger I linked to in my earlier post is such a Flashpoint exclusive product. It has features such as backlit buttons, more buttons to avoid menu-diving, better placed buttons, channel search ability, Bluetooth connectivity, etc. that the otherwise very similar X-Pro from Godox does not have.
06-18-2020, 07:01 AM   #38
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2016
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,537
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
If there is no Pentax dedication, it doesn't matter what brand the flash is meant for. With the possible exception of Sony, all brands will work on a Pentax camera up to the sync-speed (and without any P-TTL support).


Most are identical copies.

However, Adorama has some Flashpoint-exclusive products that are still 100% compatible but that you cannot get in a plain Godox version. The Flashpoint R2 Pro MarkII trigger I linked to in my earlier post is such a Flashpoint exclusive product. It has features such as backlit buttons, more buttons to avoid menu-diving, better placed buttons, channel search ability, Bluetooth connectivity, etc. that the otherwise very similar X-Pro from Godox does not have.
Yeah I will be picking up the flashpoint trigger for sure, more features and same price, why not)

I almost pulled a trigger on the V1 flashes yesterday lol, they look so good. I'm torn between saving some cash and just getting the better ones from get go. If I sell my current flashes soon, I'll just get two V1's and that flashpoint trigger I think.



06-18-2020, 10:28 AM - 1 Like   #39
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 37,920
QuoteOriginally posted by morenjavi Quote
In this case, this is what you can find if you look at firmware releases for V860II versions.

* V860IIC -> V1.7 1.Compatible with Godox wireless PENTAX X system. 2018-10-23
Got it. The theory is that "Pentax X system" means P-TTL. (I know...picky, I am.)

BTW...thank you for including your table showing the P-TTL support for the AD200/AD400. Those tend to get lost in the discussion.

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
This table could be extended to include more Godox/Flashpoint triggers. As long as both trigger and flash/strobe are in the X2 family, the trigger has Pentax dedication, and the flash/strobe has a firmware version with Pentax support, P-TTL is supported via radio.
Thanks for chiming in. I was able to find an earlier exchange on a previous thread that I had with @inkista where they made a similar assertion, so I guess three votes makes it.


Steve
06-18-2020, 11:37 AM   #40
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 434
QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
I almost pulled a trigger on the V1 flashes yesterday lol, they look so good. I'm torn between saving some cash and just getting the better ones from get go. If I sell my current flashes soon, I'll just get two V1's and that flashpoint trigger I think.
Don't forget that the V1 is also an excellent trigger. One of my main reasons to buy it, was the triggering capabilities. With the V1 on camera I have a PTTL flash (that I use for ocassional fill), but also I can control up to 3 remote flashes (HSS+PTTL). The interface is quite good, better than the XproP IMHO, but not as good as the Adorama version of the XproP trigger. Then you have the 'round head thing', that have been discused a lot here in the forums, and the magnetic accesories (that I love).

BTW, I have sold three of my four old flashes, although for some reason I cannot sell my metz 48 AF-1.
06-19-2020, 07:04 AM - 2 Likes   #41
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2016
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,537
Original Poster
Ordered a pair of V1's and flashpoint r2 Mark 2. Can't wait to test it out thanks for everyone's input!

06-19-2020, 11:12 AM   #42
Pentaxian
Class A's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 10,832
You are bound to have fun with these!
06-19-2020, 12:09 PM   #43
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2016
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,537
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
You are bound to have fun with these!
Can't wait to try! I might do some product/still life since I'm stuck at home. I have my Tamron 90 macro, and those new lights should work beautifully in my softboxes.

06-19-2020, 10:07 PM - 1 Like   #44
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 592
Congrats. You've got yourself a great flash system now. Use it!
06-24-2020, 08:58 AM   #45
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2016
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,537
Original Poster
Damn, not sure how it happened, but they sent me nikon versions of the flashes. Gonna have to send them back and re-order..

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
cactus, camera, dslr, features, flash, flashes, flashpoint, godox, hss, lighting, p-ttl, pentax, photo studio, photography, shutter speeds, strobist, trigger, triggers with p-ttl
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Flash triggers for P-TTL and HSS Photodana Flashes, Lighting, and Studio 10 04-15-2018 05:15 PM
Aokatec wireless TTL triggers kenyee Flashes, Lighting, and Studio 43 12-17-2013 08:23 AM
Phottix Odin TTL flash triggers... fotografos Pentax K-5 6 12-05-2012 06:02 AM
Home-made wireless P-TTL triggers? Happyman Flashes, Lighting, and Studio 5 11-21-2012 05:40 AM
Aokatec AK-TTL Radio Wireless TTL Flash Trigger for Nikon Canon Pentax Sony callmeraymon Flashes, Lighting, and Studio 28 08-25-2012 01:24 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:27 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top