Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 21 Likes Search this Thread
06-11-2020, 11:39 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wireless triggers with P-TTL cababilities?

Hi all! Haven't been very active on the forum for a good while, so maybe missed some news) Is there a wireless trigger system that works with P-TTL flashes that's available these days?
I have the FGZ 540 and 360 flashes. I was thinking the other day that I would probably use them more if I could control the power from the camera (or the trigger). My softboxes are a pain to get into)

Thanks!

PS: I saw the Godox X2T-P TTL trigger, but do they work with Pentax flashes, or they only work with Godox flashes?
PSS: I just remembered that Cactus V6 II exists lol. I guess I'm wondering if there anything else, or Cactus is the only option.

---------- Post added 06-11-20 at 02:44 PM ----------

Or, is it easier to just sell the pentax ones, and get 2 Godox flashes and their wireless controller? It would achieve the same result right?

06-11-2020, 11:54 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I use cactus V6II with my flashes....AF540/AF360/ Cactus RF60X. They work seamlessly together in manual or P-TTL.
06-11-2020, 12:04 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
I use cactus V6II with my flashes....AF540/AF360/ Cactus RF60X. They work seamlessly together in manual or P-TTL.
yeah i remembered about that system as soon as I posted lol. Still curious if this is the only option though.

Looking around, and i do like how the godox system operates in general, but I'm wondering, if the flash model (say a 860II) doesn't have a P-TTL model yet, but the XPRO trigger supports P-TTL, does that mean that I would be able to control those 860II flashes via P-TTL through the controller, but won't be able to use it if I just put it on the camera (which I never do anyway)?
06-11-2020, 12:07 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I use my 360 to pttl my yongnuo flash. The 360 as wireless allows for control or master where you can dial in ratios using the other for key and the 360 on board for fill or use a cable to one.

06-11-2020, 12:19 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
I use my 360 to pttl my yongnuo flash. The 360 as wireless allows for control or master where you can dial in ratios using the other for key and the 360 on board for fill or use a cable to one.
That could work too. I do like how easy it is to control flashes with that xpro unit though, looks quite logical lol.
06-11-2020, 01:15 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
I saw the Godox X2T-P TTL trigger, but do they work with Pentax flashes, or they only work with Godox flashes?
The Godox X-series triggers are able to control Godox X-system flashes. Also note that the hot shoe on the top of the X2T-P is a standard hot shoe and does not function as a P-TTL pass-through. There is a pretty active group of users on the camera accessories Flashes, Lighting, and Studio subforum.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-11-2020 at 01:49 PM.
06-11-2020, 01:17 PM   #7
Closed Account

Thread moved to Flash forum.

06-11-2020, 01:36 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Another vote for Cactus from me.
06-11-2020, 02:22 PM   #9
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
PS: I saw the Godox X2T-P TTL trigger, but do they work with Pentax flashes, or they only work with Godox flashes?
Only Godox.
Looking around, and i do like how the godox system operates in general, but I'm wondering, if the flash model (say a 860II) doesn't have a P-TTL model yet, but the XPRO trigger supports P-TTL, does that mean that I would be able to control those 860II flashes via P-TTL through the controller, but won't be able to use it if I just put it on the camera (which I never do anyway)?
I don't have this combination (only an XProP and TT350PP, which incidentally work very well), but I think the answer is yes.

Radio Triggering a Godox TT600 from a TT350p - PentaxForums.com
Looking to add additional flash, new to OCF - PentaxForums.com
06-11-2020, 04:23 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

but I'm wondering, if the flash model (say a 860II) doesn't have a P-TTL model yet, but the XPRO trigger supports P-TTL, does that mean that I would be able to control those 860II flashes via P-TTL through the controller, but won't be able to use it if I just put it on the camera (which I never do anyway)?
I would say "probably" and then refer you to the X2T-P manual where there is a compatibility matrix. If that is incomplete or out of date, there is always the Godox Web site, Flashpoint support at Adorama, or a specific question posted here on PF.

Steve
06-11-2020, 04:51 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone! I'm kind of leaning to a pair of 860II and the xpro trigger. Last question - does it matter which flash version I should get, the Canon one, nikon one, or Sony? I think they also have fuji, and pana/oly.

06-11-2020, 09:12 PM   #12
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thanks everyone! I'm kind of leaning to a pair of 860II and the xpro trigger. Last question - does it matter which flash version I should get, the Canon one, nikon one, or Sony? I think they also have fuji, and pana/oly.
Try posting in the XPro thread: Xpro-P TTL Wireless Flash Trigger for Pentax - PentaxForums.com A number of posters there use Godox strobes on different systems.
06-11-2020, 09:18 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Try posting in the XPro thread: Xpro-P TTL Wireless Flash Trigger for Pentax - PentaxForums.com A number of posters there use Godox strobes on different systems.
Awesome, will ask there, thanks

06-11-2020, 11:53 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Another vote for Cactus from me.
Me to, you'll also do better to learn how to use flash in manual, will give you much better results if you can.
06-12-2020, 12:07 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by chrism888 Quote
Me to, you'll also do better to learn how to use flash in manual, will give you much better results if you can.
I've been using these flashes in manual since I got them (so few years now). What would be an advantage of using a purely manual system vs a wireless controller? Wouldn't it just save me opening up my softboxes all the time to change some settings, or even to keep the flashes on since they switch off to save power after a minute or so?

Last edited by awscreo; 06-12-2020 at 12:15 AM.