Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
06-12-2020, 12:00 PM   #1

Pentax K200D, Yongnuo YN585EX-PTTL Wireless Speedlight Flash ----remote trigger????

Complete novice here - so apologies if this is a really dumb question...

I've been watching
and reviewed the recommended equipment on his website. The set up looks sufficiently simple that I understand it...but, I am using a Pentax, and he is not. So now I'm trying to find the speedlight and trigger that will work with my PEntax K200D. I understand that the Yongnuo 585 is compatible....but what remote tigger works with this rig?

06-13-2020, 12:15 AM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Probably two Cactus V6 II's. One as trigger on the camera, one as receiver (that you put your Yongnuo YN585EX on).

Hopefully Class A can chime in as he is a Cactus expert.
06-14-2020, 07:35 AM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by JoYou Quote
Complete novice here - so apologies if this is a really dumb question...

I've been watching this video and reviewed the recommended equipment on his website. The set up looks sufficiently simple that I understand it...but, I am using a Pentax, and he is not. So now I'm trying to find the speedlight and trigger that will work with my PEntax K200D. I understand that the Yongnuo 585 is compatible....but what remote tigger works with this rig?
The YN 585EX is a P-TTL flash, but doesn't have a build-in radio receiver for triggering it, nor does Yongnuo have a radio trigger that will fire it in P-TTL mode. You could use it in manual mode off-camera, but you would need both a receiver and transmitter like the a pair of Yongnuo RF-603N II. These triggers can be used as either transmitter or receiver and while they are for a Nikon camera, they work on Pentax as well.

To use the YN 585EX off-camera in P-TTL mode, you need an on-camera flash that can be used as a master or controller for the off-camera flash. A Pentax 540 or 360 fits that requirement. It controls the off-camera flash by light rather than by radio.

The flash used in that video you cite was a YN-560 III, which is strictly a manual flash. You could trigger it with one YN RF-603N II as the flash has a radio receiver built into it. Another option is to use the YN 560 TX. In addition to being able to trigger a YN 560 III or IV flash, you can also adjust the power level and zoom function of these two flashes from the YN 560 TX, which is really helpful when the flash is zipped up in a softbox. Otherwise, you have to open up the softbox to make any adjustments on the back of the flash.
07-02-2020, 01:07 AM - 1 Like   #4

If you want P-TTL radio-controlled flash gear, I'd recommend Godox.

The X2T-P, Xpro-P, or Flashpoint R2 Pro II transmitter can do TTL/HSS with Pentax gear.

And Godox speedlights have built-in 2.4 GHz transceivers that you can use with those transmitters. The only on-camera TTL speedlights for Pentax are the US$85 TT350-P and $260 V1-P. The TT600 ($60) and V850II ($140) are single-pin manual flashes (but like the YN-560 gear, you have M power/group control, and unlike the YN-560 gear, you'll also have HSS). And if you only plan on using this speedlight off-camera for studio-type lighting setups, all the "flavors" of the Godox V860II ($180) and the Canon version of the TT685 (TT685-C, $110) can be firmware updated to be P-TTL radio slaves (but their feet will still be compatible only with the brand it's dedicated to).

TTL gear can always be put into manual mode. But manual gear can never do TTL.

And the two Pro transmitters can both do Godox's TCM (TTL Convert to Manual), so you can use TTL to set the initial power level, instead of having to meter or guesstimate/shoot/check/adjust/reshoot, and after it's set where you want, you can lock the setting into M, so you don't have shot-to-shot variance.

The Strobist recommends the TT600 and an X2T or X1T transmitter, but I think TTL is always nice to have.

In addition to this, the Godox system includes larger than speedlight options, so if you really get into lighting, expanding up to studio strobes is something you can do with Godox; not so much with Yongnuo.

See also: The Godox XPro-P flash trigger is a "game changer" for Pentax photographers - DIY Photography

07-02-2020, 05:25 PM - 1 Like   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

The demo uses a Yongnuo YN560III flash and YN603 II TX/RX. As noted above, your YN585 does not have a built-in radio wireless receiver, but you can do the same thing by just buying the YN603 II; they are sold in pairs and are on sale right now at Adorama for $31.00 USD. You can also trigger the YN585 optically with the on-camera flash set at a low setting to minimize its contribution. That would be your zero cost option for off-camera flash.

If you decide on the YN603 II, get the Nikon version (YN603N II). Its mount contacts won't interfere with those on your camera and will also allow "wake-up" of all components on shutter half-press. (The remote shutter cable type that comes with is not important since it won't work for your camera.)

https://www.adorama.com/ynrf603iin1.html

Addendum: The YN603N II is a real bargain, but appears in may be on close-out. If the price sounds good, a pair might come in handy to have. At very least the pair can be configured as a wireless remote shutter release with addition of a $5.00 cable.

Steve

(...I use a combination of two YN560 III, a YN560TX II (TX/RX/controller), and two YN603N II triggering whatever other flash makes sense...Oh, and I can use the YN560TX II to do remote release of the K-3 along with doing the flash sync...)

Last edited by stevebrot; 07-02-2020 at 06:10 PM.
07-03-2020, 05:13 PM   #6
Pentaxian

the 585ex states it can be operated wirelessly via the pop flash which the 200D has........so a trigger is not necessary but a "line of sight" is....

there are vast amount of options to go remote with various systems depending on BUDGET and needs or possible future needs........
07-08-2020, 02:49 PM   #7
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Go old school:
Vello Off-Camera TTL Flash Cord for Pentax Cameras (3') OCS-P3

Off camera flash with P-TTL, works like a charm. Or you can buy a set of flashes and use a remote trigger to fire them off as necessary. (Check my equipment list for my flashes and controller)