Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 32 Likes Search this Thread
07-07-2020, 03:35 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Product Photography: What do I need?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I'm ashamed to admit that I know next to nothing about product photography or working with strobes. I am going to have an opportunity to do both in a couple months, but I need advice on what to get and where to learn how to use the stuff.

I plan on picking up some equipment here and there and want to buy decent quality gear to avoid any hassles. I will be doing primarily white background product shots, objects from baseball to office chair size, but I would like the option to shoot some action shots outdoors (like a model backlit by the sun jumping rope) as well.

This particular setup seems like a reasonable starting point for me to get my feet wet:

With the above in mind, I was wondering if this unit from Paul C. Buff would be a good light to build around. I want to be able to build out from there and add lights as necessary as my budget allows. (I was shocked when I started looking into the prices of some lighting equipment, to put it mildly).

Is used lighting equipment a good idea? Are light stands and soft boxes from Neemer okay? Which ones? How do I/can I make this work outside? What else, aside from a camera, lens, memory card, monitor and editing software, will I need to make this work and what would you recommend I purchase? Any tutorials or courses you would recommend? Any photographers work you suggest I check out?

I want to be able to do quality work, not spend too much time making mistakes, and not break the bank. I'm hoping to keep my initial investment under $1000 and spend a max of around $2500.

As you can tell I know next to nothing about this stuff, so please explain things to me like I'm a child.

Thank you in advance for your help.

07-07-2020, 03:51 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I just posted this a few days ago. Maybe it can help.

How I photograph Scale Models and other objects - PentaxForums.com
07-07-2020, 04:21 PM - 1 Like   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JHfwp Quote
Thank you in advance for your help.
How large are the products and how big is your table and studio space? Depending on distances, your needs might be adequately addressed with a wireless controller, 2-3 speedlights, and appropriate diffusers/modifiers.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 07-07-2020 at 04:26 PM.
07-07-2020, 04:45 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
I just posted this a few days ago. Maybe it can help.

How I photograph Scale Models and other objects - PentaxForums.com
Thank you ismaelg. That was informative. You're obviously very crafty!

07-07-2020, 04:45 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

For product get a grey card to color balance.
07-07-2020, 04:58 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
How large are the products and how big is your table and studio space? Depending on distances, your needs might be adequately addressed with a wireless controller, 2-3 speedlights, and appropriate diffusers/modifiers.

Steve
I have about a 12 x15 space with a 9' ceiling (or 8'?). Once decluttered it's probably a little larger. I have a small card table and some saw horses if need be. The items I know I'll be shooting are all about the size of the Cetaphil bottle.

The speedlights would certainly be easier on my wallet, and would travel easily, but I feel like a modelling light would be really useful getting things set up. I might have to come back to them if I can't afford what I want to do.
07-07-2020, 09:32 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For small items like that there are little "softbox" studio kits available for not much money. I have one very similar to the one in the link. They come with a few different backdrops and a couple of constant lights. Ismael's poster boards are probably a better option because cloth gets wrinkled. Anyway you can add as many lights as you want to. I use a couple of battery operated work lights that I got at Menards, besides the two lights that came with the kit. Obviously I don't use it professionally, just occasionally when I want to photograph an object

07-07-2020, 10:40 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
To learn about lighting & product photography, I suggest checking out a some videos from a photographer named Karl Taylor (here: YouTube), very informative stuff
07-07-2020, 11:56 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

I used to handle product photography. I cant comment on what products Might be good now but back then I had 4 tungsten studio lights, 2 strobes, 4 reversible flash brollies, one large softbox and various reflectors. A large number of drapes for different backgrounds, acrylic blocks for product placement, adjustable plinth for objects, diffusers and light gels for the tungstens. The last thing a bought was scary expensive which was a coolbox....a natural daylight lamp system about 4 foot square to give very natural looking light as the ambient source.

The biggest cost was probably all the extras, stuff like lab stands to hold things, tripods, acrylic blocks, base surfaces for product to stand on and various gubbins to hold backgrounds plus a vast props collection to give some reference points in the photo. Eg if you are doing a hunting knife stuff like a compass, water bottle, logs and outdoor looking stuff to give it some natural context.

Worst for me was a shoe catalogue where I needed lots of surfaces, wooden floor, different marbles, paving stone etc etc etc.

Oh and about a million clothes pegs, bulldog clips and croc clips to hold stuff in place plus a lifetime supply of gaffa tape and low tack tape.

Forgotten a lot if what I knew back then and obvioulsy dont know what you may know now. But studios have their challenges, space being the big one. Basic lighting is for an ambient. Normally the coolbox or a tungsten brollied plus a key light, directly aimed at the subject. Ambient gives the basic lighting and the keylight gives the focused light simulating the sun. Much depends on what you are shooting, is it reflective or flat, does it need to sparkle with highlights. Do you need to mask or have a dead zone to stop spurrious reflections in the subject.

The fastest way to learn is to do it really. Take some houshold objects and get going. When I started I had a stool to put stuff on and a couple of flash heads and some tripods and improvised the rest from bedsheets and cut up cloth and over time as it started paying I bought more stuff including models ( feet models, hand models for shoes and some products hair models even for some stuff you need live props )

Sorry thats all very general but truly the fastest way to learn product is do it and it will also refine just what gear you need. Biggest headache is dealing with the cusomers many of whom want a Michelin Calendar shoot complete wit Bahamian beach and a top model and all for £50 seriously though get the customer needs certain at the start, some products have specific requirements. I cant recall kf it was tea or port wine but one of them used to be always required showing small bubbles in the liquid ( three I think ) ....that may be apocryphal as it came to me third hand when I was starting but it does show some customers can be VERY specific in their needs and may not communicate this at the start.
I once managed a shoot, rather than being the lens for it, for a certain well known aperitif and we spent two days getting a picture of a bottle and also a glass of the wretched stuff before the creatives were happy. Onhhhh can you make it look shinier, thats too much now, can we make the top look more frothy, flat, curved, not so much, maybe it would look better in a different glass etc etc etc
07-08-2020, 08:15 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by disconnekt Quote
To learn about lighting & product photography, I suggest checking out a some videos from a photographer named Karl Taylor (here: YouTube), very informative stuff
I see he offers some training as well, but I'll probably learn a ton just watching his channel. Thanks!

---------- Post added 07-08-20 at 11:38 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Astro-Baby Quote
I used to handle product photography. I cant comment on what products Might be good now but back then I had 4 tungsten studio lights, 2 strobes, 4 reversible flash brollies, one large softbox and various reflectors. A large number of drapes for different backgrounds, acrylic blocks for product placement, adjustable plinth for objects, diffusers and light gels for the tungstens. The last thing a bought was scary expensive which was a coolbox....a natural daylight lamp system about 4 foot square to give very natural looking light as the ambient source.

The biggest cost was probably all the extras, stuff like lab stands to hold things, tripods, acrylic blocks, base surfaces for product to stand on and various gubbins to hold backgrounds plus a vast props collection to give some reference points in the photo. Eg if you are doing a hunting knife stuff like a compass, water bottle, logs and outdoor looking stuff to give it some natural context.

Worst for me was a shoe catalogue where I needed lots of surfaces, wooden floor, different marbles, paving stone etc etc etc.

Oh and about a million clothes pegs, bulldog clips and croc clips to hold stuff in place plus a lifetime supply of gaffa tape and low tack tape.

Forgotten a lot if what I knew back then and obvioulsy dont know what you may know now. But studios have their challenges, space being the big one. Basic lighting is for an ambient. Normally the coolbox or a tungsten brollied plus a key light, directly aimed at the subject. Ambient gives the basic lighting and the keylight gives the focused light simulating the sun. Much depends on what you are shooting, is it reflective or flat, does it need to sparkle with highlights. Do you need to mask or have a dead zone to stop spurrious reflections in the subject.

The fastest way to learn is to do it really. Take some houshold objects and get going. When I started I had a stool to put stuff on and a couple of flash heads and some tripods and improvised the rest from bedsheets and cut up cloth and over time as it started paying I bought more stuff including models ( feet models, hand models for shoes and some products hair models even for some stuff you need live props )

Sorry thats all very general but truly the fastest way to learn product is do it and it will also refine just what gear you need. Biggest headache is dealing with the cusomers many of whom want a Michelin Calendar shoot complete wit Bahamian beach and a top model and all for £50 seriously though get the customer needs certain at the start, some products have specific requirements. I cant recall kf it was tea or port wine but one of them used to be always required showing small bubbles in the liquid ( three I think ) ....that may be apocryphal as it came to me third hand when I was starting but it does show some customers can be VERY specific in their needs and may not communicate this at the start.
I once managed a shoot, rather than being the lens for it, for a certain well known aperitif and we spent two days getting a picture of a bottle and also a glass of the wretched stuff before the creatives were happy. Onhhhh can you make it look shinier, thats too much now, can we make the top look more frothy, flat, curved, not so much, maybe it would look better in a different glass etc etc etc
You make it sound so easy! I'm kidding, but what you've mentioned is what I hope to someday be able to accomplish and I truly appreciate you taking the time to share your experiences. I read a bit more and watched a few more videos after my initial post and I'm certain it's going to be a challenge. (Thank God I don't have to learn this with film!)

I think you're right, I just need to jump in if I'm to learn it. Thankfully there's no better time to learn.
07-08-2020, 10:51 AM - 2 Likes   #11
Veteran Member

Yep ...with digital its easier for sure, I started with film and the amount of wasted celluloid was scary. I used to use a Polaroid for rough shooting just to see if all was ok.

The key thing with product shots is managing the product. Its not so much about whether you can set an f stop its much more about making sure the product looks perfect eg are the laces on those shoes looking good, does the flame on that lighter have just the right amount of yellow and blue, are all the buttons straight on that blouse etc etc. I just mess about these days when I am eBaying and of course no longer have all the gear but its about getting the details right. Just like wedding photography is no challenge technically but more about managing people ( uncle arthur would rather swill down free booze than be in the pic and you have to manage that on the day - I only did weddings a few times and totally hated it with a passion and prayed for an aircrash, fire or flood so I could slope off but a good wedding photographer is good at getting people to get on with stuff without screaming at them and ruining the big day ) product is the same, its about managing expectations of the customer but critically about getting the details right. Its so easy to get derailed about focus, aperture, lights and miss the fact that product looks awful from that angle or that there is a reflection in a surface of the camera or you etc etc. Thats what the Polaroid was for back in the day.

Digital will be easier for sure but I didnt work much with digital before I quit.....its was the shoes.....the awful pile of shoes that still haunts my sleep millions of photos of them, in red, black, blue, suede, crocodile with 1” heels, 2” heels, 3” heels, cuban, points, french in court style, peep toe, slingback on blue screen , with background, three different shots, detail shot and with foot inserted oh and in three different formats and sizes for output...........it was the job that made me hate cameras, photoediting, photographers, creatives and most of all shoe manufacturers, shoes shops and people who wear shoes all lf them seriously though...get your eye in. Look round the house and pick some random items , a tin of polish, toothbrush, tomato, can of fizzy drink, a watch and get snapping.

Reading some guides will help about lighting but just as with any photography its getting your eye in. Good luck and may you never get stuck with doing shoes
07-08-2020, 12:19 PM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I wouldn't get fixated on needing flash/speedlights. Your products aren't going anywhere, so moderate length exposures are fine (even several seconds). Just use regular light bulbs (but beware of color effects), and as swanlefitte says - USE A GRAY CARD to set your color balance! Consider have a small gray card in the corner of every shot, and maybe even a scale/ruler. That is what I do for art works.
07-08-2020, 12:26 PM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

I loved shooting on L shaped bent acrylic table (white). We've set two large soft boxes on sides, and had another one underneath the table as well. I wish i could find those images, that was a goooood while back lol. Must be somewhere on my server..

Last edited by awscreo; 07-08-2020 at 02:03 PM.
07-08-2020, 01:00 PM - 1 Like   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
For small items like that there are little "softbox" studio kits available for not much money.
My thought as well.

Steve
07-08-2020, 01:02 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
I loved sh*****g on L shaped bent acrylic table (white).
TMI!

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 07-08-2020 at 02:44 PM.