Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2020, 10:09 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
The Godox system has the advantage of supporting HSS (High-Speed Sync) for Pentax. It is likely that you'll need it outdoors for application like "model backlit by the sun jumping rope".

The PCB equipment is very good but not ideal for Pentax users due to the lack of Pentax-dedication.
Indoors, where you can control the ambient light, it will be fine, but if you want to take the strobe outside, I'd recommend an HSS-capable Godox strobe (the AD600 PRO is great).

FWIW, in my view the Flashpoint R2 Pro MarkII is the best trigger for the Godox system you can buy. It is not more expensive than the other Flashpoint or Godox variants, but has better ergonomics and more features.
An excellent point about HSS.

Thank you for your input. This has been a big task just learning the basics of what equipment does what. I can't imagine the questions I'll have once I get started.

07-15-2020, 12:04 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I've ordered a flash now which should arrive soon. I need to do some research before selecting a softbox, and will be keeping a close eye on eBay for some other odds and ends, but I did order a roll of medium weight Savage translum to make some DIY diffusion panels and to potentially serve as a background while I play around. (Learning about this stuff has been fun.)

I'm wondering if any of you can recommend a plain white vinyl background, or tell me if there are any manufacturers I should steer clear of. I see some on eBay for practically nothing, but I'm worried they might arrive creased or have some other undesirable characteristics. (I will get a wide roll of background paper for larger objects.)

BTW, I know this is a dumb question but do people refer to monolights as flashes or strobes or lights or what? I want to use the right terminology and not sound like too big of an idiot.
07-15-2020, 02:35 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JHfwp Quote
I've ordered a flash now which should arrive soon. I need to do some research before selecting a softbox, and will be keeping a close eye on eBay for some other odds and ends, but I did order a roll of medium weight Savage translum to make some DIY diffusion panels and to potentially serve as a background while I play around. (Learning about this stuff has been fun.)

I'm wondering if any of you can recommend a plain white vinyl background, or tell me if there are any manufacturers I should steer clear of. I see some on eBay for practically nothing, but I'm worried they might arrive creased or have some other undesirable characteristics. (I will get a wide roll of background paper for larger objects.)

BTW, I know this is a dumb question but do people refer to monolights as flashes or strobes or lights or what? I want to use the right terminology and not sound like too big of an idiot.
I have a pair of softboxes like this one (different brand, but seems to be the same construction/materials).
amazon.com : Godox 120cm / 47.2in Portable Octagon Softbox Umbrella Brolly Reflector for Speedlight Flash : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&

I like that they are big, so light is pretty soft out of them. I also picked up a pair of basic light stands on amazon.

Also, I have bought plain black backdrops from walmart (of all places), wasn't great, but was cheap and worked fine in a diy studio)
07-15-2020, 05:35 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
I have a pair of softboxes like this one (different brand, but seems to be the same construction/materials).
amazon.com : Godox 120cm / 47.2in Portable Octagon Softbox Umbrella Brolly Reflector for Speedlight Flash : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&

I like that they are big, so light is pretty soft out of them. I also picked up a pair of basic light stands on amazon.

Also, I have bought plain black backdrops from walmart (of all places), wasn't great, but was cheap and worked fine in a diy studio)
Wow, it's going to be hard to beat the price of those softboxes. Thanks.

I just checked Walmart's site and had no idea they were into studio gear. They'll be a good resource as well. Much appreciated.

07-15-2020, 05:47 PM - 1 Like   #35
Veteran Member

Wow, it's going to be hard to beat the price of those softboxes. Thanks.

I just checked Walmart's site and had no idea they were into studio gear. They'll be a good resource as well. Much appreciated.
No problem. Also, don't forget to the the flash brackets. They will go on top of the light stands (mine screw in), and have a mount for the flash, as well as a hole with a tightening mechanism to hold the umbrella.

The softboxes I linked above are essentially very big umbrellas with cutouts for the stands and diffusion cloth that attaches to the front via velcro.

There are a lot of lighting kits that might save you few bucks as well on Amazon.
07-15-2020, 05:58 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
No problem. Also, don't forget to the the flash brackets. They will go on top of the light stands (mine screw in), and have a mount for the flash, as well as a hole with a tightening mechanism to hold the umbrella.

The softboxes I linked above are essentially very big umbrellas with cutouts for the stands and diffusion cloth that attaches to the front via velcro.

There are a lot of lighting kits that might save you few bucks as well on Amazon.
Thanks, I'll have to check out the kits before I do any more damage. I purchased a new stand that's supposed to come with a pin to mount the flash to, but it probably wouldn't hurt to have extras (stands included) as I lose everything.

I'm beginning to think one can't have too much lighting gear...
07-15-2020, 06:09 PM - 1 Like   #37
Veteran Member

Thanks, I'll have to check out the kits before I do any more damage. I purchased a new stand that's supposed to come with a pin to mount the flash to, but it probably wouldn't hurt to have extras (stands included) as I lose everything.

I'm beginning to think one can't have too much lighting gear...
Definitely lol. Snoots, barn doors, grids, honey combs, beauty dishes, etc etc etc. There's no end))

---------- Post added 07-15-20 at 09:24 PM ----------

Although those two soft boxes with stands, and flashes with wireless triggers are all I need with my limited skills and time))