Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2020, 04:56 PM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
To trigger an off-camera flash. (I haven't tried this either but many users seem to have done so successfully.)
Ah, that is the scenario that I find most frustrating. I am one of those users who has been able to use the "wireless" triggering of the built-in flash and if you have the opportunity to set up your equipment so that either the off-camera flash is in line of sight with the built-in flash or you have a reflective background so that the weak pre-flash is bounced back to the off-camera flash with enough intensity to communicate P-TTL commands, it works. In controlled tests in my house, it works reliably enough, but at a wedding with me holding the Metz in one hand and my camera in the other hand, it only worked when I pointed the two of them at each other to verify I didn't muck up my settings. The charitable view of built-in flash is that it doesn't cost extra, so if has any utility, it should be considered a positive; the less charitable view is that built-in flash is a useless gimmick that takes up space in the camera body that could be used for something, anything else.

07-21-2020, 02:58 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Try eBay or the Listings Here

QuoteOriginally posted by K2 to K50 Quote
The Price of the 540FGZ II is monstrous (I believe it has increased by close to $AU100 over the last 12 months or so. That puts it at roughly $US40.00 dearer than the US price (more if I look at the current sale price at B&H)

So the 360FGZ II was going to be my choice of flash unit when I decided it was time to buy a flash (not a major need, given my main photography interests). Except now, if I do a search for that unit on Pentax.com.au or C R Kennedy's web site, it doesn't just come up as out-of-stock, it returns a NO RESULT message.

Amazon US (who currently offer a good price on the 360FGZ II) will not deliver this item to Australia.

The current exchange rate puts the B&H price of the 360FGZ II out of my comfortable price range for an item that I will not use very often.

But is the non-availability of the 360FGZ II in Australia any sort of omen for its future elsewhere, or is it just another price we Ozzies have to pay for our small population (therefore small market)?
I bought 2 AF-360FGZ II flashes recently right here on the forum from a user in Canada. Both were in like new condition and worked perfectly.

There are plenty listed on eBay from several sources, most from Japan. It might take some time to receive them these days, but the Japanese camera stores are typically safe to buy from and most product is very well described and in good condition.

I checked keh.com and they did not have any, but that is another place to check.

I am not sure how much you want to pay, but flashes seem to be a rather highly priced in all brands, especially when comparing them to complex camera bodies and lenses.

At the end of the day, if we want Pentax to keep making the equipment we want, we have to pay the price that they set for the equipment, which allows them to make enough money to stay in business.

Good luck with your search.
07-21-2020, 03:20 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DeKay Quote
I tried to buy one six months ago and like you could find it on the C R Kennedy website.
I sent them an email and the reply told me it was discontinued and no longer available unless a supplier had stock on the shelf.
Stupid decision if you ask me, unless they have a new mid range flash coming.
That is strange. It is still current product on the Ricoh Japan Web site and is readily available in both the U.S. and Europe, as is the original AF30FGZ.

Steve
07-21-2020, 07:51 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Thanks Peter. Happy to help.
Holding the camera one-handed and the flash in the other (like the two samples in my previous post) isn't ideal, but it can work. If you have an assistant you can get them to hold the flash for you, but otherwise a "magic arm" is useful. Cheap too. I have an L-bracket that screws into the camera's tripod thread (like this Dual L-Shaped Camera Flash Bracket Holder Hot Shoe Mount For Speedlite DSLR Cam | eBay) and a flexible arm that screws into the bracket (New 7" Friction Articulating Magic Arm For DSLR Rig LED Light LCD Monitor Hot 881800735770 | eBay). The flexible arm has a coldshoe to mount the flash. I can trigger the flash wirelessly, although it might be possible to use a cord. A lightweight diffuser for the flash helps too (e.g. Neewer 8"12" Photo Studio Collapsible Softbox Speedlite Flash Light Diffuser 808023172472 | eBay)

(I think the K-50 has a master and controller function, as the K-30 did?). You would not have PTTL or HSS in this mode, I think. (Others will correct me if I am wrong about this)
-
More useful info - thanks Des. I will look into those other products. Have just priced the Godox TT350p against the Metz M400 - the Godox is almost half the price (DCxpert has the Metz M400 for $329.00 at the moment) so that is worth keeping in mind.
Oh, I have highlighted the "K50" in you post because, while I started out in Digital in 2018 with the K50(Hence my "K2 to K50" user name) , I upgraded to the KP in June 2019. Does its wireless feature allow for wireless flash controls with either the Godox or the Metz? I have already experimented, quite successfully, with using the Ricoh phone app to control my KP from my phone with the KP on the tripod, as a way of including myself in group pics.
QuoteOriginally posted by Ray Pulley Quote
I bought 2 AF-360FGZ II flashes recently right here on the forum from a user in Canada. Both were in like new condition and worked perfectly.

There are plenty listed on eBay from several sources, most from Japan. It might take some time to receive them these days, but the Japanese camera stores are typically safe to buy from and most product is very well described and in good condition.

Good luck with your search.
Thanks Ray. Have contemplated ordering from Japan, and while a Pentax flash would be ideal, the Godox and the Metz seem to be very well featured and compatible with the KP, with quite a price savings.
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
That is strange. It is still current product on the Ricoh Japan Web site and is readily available in both the U.S. and Europe, as is the original AF30FGZ.

Steve
Yeah, Steve - I just today confirmed during a phone call to C R Kennedy about my KP battery grip order that their records say Richoh Japan have discontinued the Pentax AF 360 FGZ II, so there you go.

07-21-2020, 09:30 PM   #20
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
while I started out in Digital in 2018 with the K50(Hence my "K2 to K50" user name) , I upgraded to the KP in June 2019.
Sorry Peter I had forgotten that.
Have just priced the Godox TT350p against the Metz M400 - the Godox is almost half the price
I saw one on ebay last week for $120. The cheapest price I can see now is about $A125, or "make an offer", from China. Of course if there is a problem, you will struggle to get any warranty support.

Although you can use one TT350P on-camera to control the other off-camera, I would suggest getting the separate trigger for less diving into menus. It also allows for more expansion. The original model XProP is available for $89 from an Australian supplier (https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AU-Cost-price-Godox-Xpro-P-2-4G-TTL-Trigger-For-...P/174286739675) or the newer X2T-P for about $90 or "make an offer" from China (https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Godox-2-4G-TTL-X2T-P-Bluetooth-Strobe-Head-Trigg...e/274345253652).

Sales are sure to be flat at present so you could probably get a deal: e.g. 2 TT350P units for $240 and an X2T-P for $85 - that is $325, less than the cost of a single M400. Just make sure you get the P for Pentax versions (as distinct from N, C, S, F or O versions - you can guess what they stand for!).
Does its wireless feature allow for wireless flash controls with either the Godox or the Metz? I have already experimented, quite successfully, with using the Ricoh phone app to control my KP from my phone with the KP on the tripod, as a way of including myself in group pics.
I think you are referring to the wifi feature in the KP. No I don't think you can use that to control the flash.

References to "wireless" control of an off-camera flash can be a bit confusing. "Wireless" in this context often harks back to pre-wifi, pre-Bluetooth times when the cutting-edge, whizz-bang "wireless" control of an off-camera flash (ie without a cable) involved a light beam fired from the popup flash or from an on-camera flash. Users have worked with this type of "wireless" control for years. That tech still exists with the right combination of camera and flash. That's why line of sight is required. Yes the KP can do this with the Pentax 340 or 540 flashes off-camera, controlled by another of those flashes or by the popup flash (see p.120 of the KP user manual). You would need to check about whether this would work with the Metz M400 off-camera for PTTL and HSS.

But, as @RGlasel points out, this sort of "wireless" control isn't always plain sailing - e.g. when shooting outdoors in daylight or when line-of-sight to the off-camera flash is limited. That's why many users prefer wireless control by radio (not a light signal), using either external transceivers (ranging from the high-end Cactus V6ii to cheap manual ones) or a built-in system like Godox. If you use manual flash output settings (i.e you set the output to 1/8 power, 1/16 power or whatever, rather than using PTTL metering for automatic control of the output), cheap manual triggers are fine. If you want to use radio control for PTTL and HSS, you need something like the Cactus or a Godox system. Cactus V6ii transceivers cost around $A180 each and you would need at least two. So you can see how cheap the Godox system is by comparison.

Last edited by Des; 07-22-2020 at 01:29 PM.
07-21-2020, 10:05 PM   #21

Plenty of Non Pentax flash units out there, you will just have to adapt or get a second hand one on Ebay
07-22-2020, 10:08 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well folks - I just bit the bullet and put in an order to DCexpert:

Metz M400 Flash
Metz Diffusor for M400 Flash
and (more than a little belatedly) a Hahnel 6 in one Cleaning Kit.

I took my camera with the 16-85 lens on it from a heavily air-conditioned room to the outdoors on a very hot and humid day some 2-3 months ago, and to my great dismay condensation appeared on what I thought was the UV Filter on the lens. So I wiped it with my handkerchief, only to realise that I had removed the UV filter some days ago, and I was wiping the lens!!!!

Produced a bit of a smear mark. Hoping a proper cleaning cloth (or, at most, the cleaning cloth and lens spray) will fix it.

Once I become familiar with the flash, might research a "magic arm" extender for my tripod on which to mount the flash for "off to the side" flash use. Will also have to decide which wireless flash trigger to invest in.

Thanks to everyone who gave me so much food for thought in this thread - Pentax Forums is a goldmine of friendly camera people.
07-22-2020, 11:28 PM   #23
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Well folks - I just bit the bullet and put in an order to DCexpert:Metz M400 FlashMetz Diffusor for M400 Flashand (more than a little belatedly) a Hahnel 6 in one Cleaning Kit.
Congratulations Peter. The Metz will be a safe choice and you will get good warranty support if required.

If your only off-camera use involves mounting the flash on an arm off the side of the tripod, a PTTL cord (like the JJC one I mentioned) may be sufficient - that is, you might not need to get a wireless trigger at all.

Good luck with the lens cleaning. The 16-85 has SP coating so should be more resistant to marks on the front element than other lenses.

07-23-2020, 12:31 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by climbmountainway Quote
Highest quality German engineering.
Not so sure about that. At the moment I have a very broken BMW in the garage and an AEG microwave in the repair shop.

I've been in this situation too many times...

Highest quality German engineering.
07-27-2020, 12:02 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well, just took delivery of my metz m400 flash - and cannot get the battery door to slide down and open!!!

EDIT; it appears you need to press down and push, not from where the 3 ridges on the door are, but higher up, and with quite a bit of downward pressure as well as forward pressure.

My gosh, this flash is so tiny!!

But it works - Now to become familiar with it.......

Last edited by K2 to K50; 07-27-2020 at 12:18 AM.
07-27-2020, 12:11 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Well, just took delivery of my metz m400 flash - and cannot get the battery door to slide down and open!!!
Piece of cake on the 52 AF-1. Not tried the m400. Stubby looking little thing.

Judging by the picture in the manual, page 170, the battery door swings open rather than slides.
07-27-2020, 07:21 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Piece of cake on the 52 AF-1. Not tried the m400. Stubby looking little thing.

Judging by the picture in the manual, page 170, the battery door swings open rather than slides.
Actually what I found is that it has to slide a little before swinging open - I think a small pin that is part of the hinge locks the door in place, and has to slide down before the door will swing open (at right angles to the slide direction!!).