Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-17-2020, 06:08 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax AF360FGZ II no longer available in Australia?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

The Price of the 540FGZ II is monstrous (I believe it has increased by close to $AU100 over the last 12 months or so. That puts it at roughly $US40.00 dearer than the US price (more if I look at the current sale price at B&H)

So the 360FGZ II was going to be my choice of flash unit when I decided it was time to buy a flash (not a major need, given my main photography interests). Except now, if I do a search for that unit on Pentax.com.au or C R Kennedy's web site, it doesn't just come up as out-of-stock, it returns a NO RESULT message.

Amazon US (who currently offer a good price on the 360FGZ II) will not deliver this item to Australia.

The current exchange rate puts the B&H price of the 360FGZ II out of my comfortable price range for an item that I will not use very often.

But is the non-availability of the 360FGZ II in Australia any sort of omen for its future elsewhere, or is it just another price we Ozzies have to pay for our small population (therefore small market)?

07-17-2020, 07:02 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
I tried to buy one six months ago and like you could find it on the C R Kennedy website.
I sent them an email and the reply told me it was discontinued and no longer available unless a supplier had stock on the shelf.
Stupid decision if you ask me, unless they have a new mid range flash coming.
07-17-2020, 07:36 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Unless you absolutely want à Pentax branded one, you could look for a Metz one. Very good flash, quality is as good if not better than OEM. A Metz 52 should be about the price if the 360 but with the power of the 540.
07-17-2020, 07:40 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have the 360FGZ II, and it is a nice flash. However, flash technology has been moving on, and wireless Godox or Cactus seem to be the preferred options these days. You can buy units for Pentax. If I didn't already own the 360, I probably would have gone with one of those.

If you want to stick with the traditional P-TTL, there are other options. I also have the Metz 52 AF-1, which is very good. A cheaper option is the Yongnuo YN585EX P-TTL (Aus$146 from Amazon.au), though I haven't tried it.

Last edited by Paul the Sunman; 07-17-2020 at 07:50 PM.
07-17-2020, 08:26 PM   #5

There are lots of other choices B & H has Yongnuo YN585EX Speedlite for Pentax Cameras it is TTL and cost $85 dollars I have two of them. SIgma
07-17-2020, 10:06 PM   #6
Forum Member

I use a Metz Mecablitz 52 AF-1. It offers specs higher than the discontinued Pentax Flash. There are other, more powerful Metz Dedicated Pentax flash units also available. Highest quality German engineering. Has a simple touch screen, or more complex interactive menu by its many user controlled choices offered. Can act as an off camera light triggered servo or slave. Built well. Has the foot design manufactured for professional use. Spot on colors and exposure. Best for at least a 4 foot or more subject to sensor plane distance. The popup on the K-3 works for CU lighting, this one takes going into the menu to achieve modified light CU outputs. It responds well to the popup flash with great syncronicity. Comes with a case, and foot support. Has PTTL, HSS, etc

Vertical (+90°) and horizontal (300°) swivel reflector
- Illuminated touchscreen display with automatic swivel function (90°)
-Simple operating concept
-Motorised zoom for 24–105 mm illumination
-Spot zoom mode
-Integrated wide-angle diffuser for 12 mm illumination
- Flip-out reflector card
- Modelling light (permanent light to check shadow)
- Integrated autofocus flash metering
-Flash readiness indicator and correct exposure display on unit and on camera (subject to camera)
- LCD flash range display
-Automatic unit shut-off
- Metal base* with quick lock

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/accessoryreviews/metz-metz-52-af-1.html#ixzz6SWm4PSPO

Last edited by climbmountainway; 07-18-2020 at 12:09 AM. Reason: updating details
07-17-2020, 10:11 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The Pentax has two advantages over most of the third party alternatives:
1. it can be triggered off-camera by the popup flash with a number of Pentax cameras (ie you don't need a separate trigger, provided you have line-of-sight to the camera's flash);
2. it is weather-resistant

If neither of these is a deal-breaker, Peter, look at the alternatives that have been mentioned, such as Metz, Godox, Yongnuo etc.

I have had two Metz flashes and they are well built and well featured. But now I use a Godox TT350P almost exclusively. It is very compact and lightweight, has about the same output as the Pentax 360 FGZ II and has a host of features - all for around $A120. A good value flash, even if you just want something for on-camera use.

The bonus with the Godox system though is its capability for off-camera use, The TT350P it can be triggered by another TT350P or by a Godox wireless controller mounted in the camera's hot shoe (I have the XProP, which can be had for around $A90). The wireless control is by radio so isn't limited to line of sight - it can even do off-camera PTTL, HSS, etc, all controlled by the on-camera controller. To do all that with a separate trigger you would need something like a pair of Cactus V6ii transceivers, which are not cheap.

Godox does have a great range of powerful studio strobes which have Pentax support and which can be controlled by the humble TT350P or XproP. The main limitation of the Godox system is that Godox hasn't yet released a more powerful rectangular-head flash (like its TT685) with on-camera PTTL capability. Many of us are hoping that will come eventually.

If you haven't tried off-camera flash, I'd recommend having a go. It's even useful for nature photography. These two shots were taken by holding the TT350P at arm's length, controlled by the XProP on-camera. Makes a huge difference getting the flash beam hitting the subject from a different angle.

07-18-2020, 12:24 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Supply looks sufficient worldwide, accessory prices became steep in recent years for Pentax gear, often you find a like new or outdated, but new, Pentax flash on eBay. I use the 360 as main flash and third party gear for extra off camera work. The 360 plus high iso performance of modern cameras make for a perfect combo with plenty of power. The 540 unit is large and heavy - I use Cactus when I need this power with umbrella or so.
07-18-2020, 08:47 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeKay Quote
I tried to buy one six months ago and like you could find it on the C R Kennedy website.
I sent them an email and the reply told me it was discontinued ...
Thanks for the reply, and for saving me the trouble of asking C R Kennedy what the story is on the 360FGZ ii.

QuoteOriginally posted by CarlJF Quote
Unless you absolutely want à Pentax branded one, you could look for a Metz one. Very good flash, quality is as good if not better than OEM. A Metz 52 should be about the price if the 360 but with the power of the 540.
Metz has been on my radar, particularly as dcexpert is pushing them.

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
I have the 360FGZ II, and it is a nice flash. However, flash technology has been moving on, and wireless Godox or Cactus seem to be the preferred options these days. You can buy units for Pentax. If I didn't already own the 360, I probably would have gone with one of those.

If you want to stick with the traditional P-TTL, there are other options. I also have the Metz 52 AF-1, which is very good. A cheaper option is the Yongnuo YN585EX P-TTL (Aus$146 from Amazon.au), though I haven't tried it.
Thanks for the suggestions.
QuoteOriginally posted by rr1736 Quote
There are lots of other choices B & H has Yongnuo YN585EX Speedlite for Pentax Cameras it is TTL and cost $85 dollars I have two of them. SIgma
Thanks for your time and suggestions - I had been looking at both the 52 and 64 Metz flashes.

QuoteOriginally posted by climbmountainway Quote
I use a Metz Mecablitz 52 AF-1. It offers specs higher than the discontinued Pentax Flash. There are other, more powerful Metz Dedicated Pentax flash units also available. Highest quality German engineering. Has a simple touch screen, or more complex interactive menu by its many user controlled choices offered. Can act as an off camera light triggered servo or slave. Built well. Has the foot design manufactured for professional use. Spot on colors and exposure.
Certainly looks good.

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
The Pentax has two advantages over most of the third party alternatives:
1. it can be triggered off-camera by the popup flash with a number of Pentax cameras (ie you don't need a separate trigger, provided you have line-of-sight to the camera's flash);
2. it is weather-resistant

If neither of these is a deal-breaker, Peter, look at the alternatives that have been mentioned, such as Metz, Godox, Yongnuo etc.

I have had two Metz flashes and they are well built and well featured. But now I use a Godox TT350P almost exclusively. It is very compact and lightweight, has about the same output as the Pentax 360 FGZ II and has a host of features - all for around $A120. A good value flash, even if you just want something for on-camera use.

If you haven't tried off-camera flash, I'd recommend having a go. It's even useful for nature photography. These two shots were taken by holding the TT350P at arm's length, controlled by the XProP on-camera. Makes a huge difference getting the flash beam hitting the subject from a different angle.

Thanks very much Des, for your time, and, as usual, for your clear and useful suggestions. The Godox sounds great value for the price. That Hoverfly shot is spectacular. I have been wondering about different ways of using a flash off to the side for macro shots: hand-held, brackets in the bottom of the camera, etc. Or head-on, but with filter or diffusor.

I have the Vanguard Pro Alta 2+ 263 AP tripod which has an accessory thread for attachments, and have wondered where I could get something that would screw into that and hold a flash led light. Not found anything specifically designed for use with this feature of the tripod. Will keep googling!!

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
Supply looks sufficient worldwide, accessory prices became steep in recent years for Pentax gear, often you find a like new or outdated, but new, Pentax flash on eBay. I use the 360 as main flash and third party gear for extra off camera work. The 360 plus high iso performance of modern cameras make for a perfect combo with plenty of power. The 540 unit is large and heavy - I use Cactus when I need this power with umbrella or so.
Thanks for the comments, zapp - confirms that the 360 was probably the flash to get. Regret not doing so while it was still in stock at C R Kennedy.

It now seems a toss-up between the Godox TT350P recommended by Des, or the Metz M400. The latter, although dearer, has the extra "video" light, which is what appealed to me about the Pentax 360. Not sure if I would ever really use it, though, as extra light for extra illumination instead of the flash for subjects in poor light??

I don't really do portraiture - mainly flowers, birds, insects, occasional scenery/landscapes, and it would be the insect macros that I will probably most use the flash for, apart from the odd family indoor gathering "snap-shots".

Again, thanks everyone for your time and suggestions.
07-18-2020, 09:23 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by K2 to K50 Quote
Thanks very much Des, for your time, and, as usual, for your clear and useful suggestions. The Godox sounds great value for the price. That Hoverfly shot is spectacular. I have been wondering about different ways of using a flash off to the side for macro shots: hand-held, brackets in the bottom of the camera, etc. Or head-on, but with filter or diffusor.

I don't really do portraiture - mainly flowers, birds, insects, occasional scenery/landscapes, and it would be the insect macros that I will probably most use the flash for, apart from the odd family indoor gathering "snap-shots".
Well, in that case, have you looked at any ring flashes? I can recommend the Sigma EM-140DG PA-PTTL if you can find it second hand. There are others.
07-18-2020, 11:59 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Well, in that case, have you looked at any ring flashes? I can recommend the Sigma EM-140DG PA-PTTL if you can find it second hand. There are others.
Yeah Paul, i have considered ring flashes, but I have read some members saying that they can be a bit harsh and full on, compared to an off-the-camera flash. This may be true of ring flashes also, but an off the camera flash can have its intensity controlled, can be used with diffusors, etc all of which would make it less disturbing to whatever wildlife you are trying to photograph. Also, they are as expensive, if not more so, than a more generally useful standard flash gun, so.......???
07-19-2020, 12:00 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe they should have lowered the price instead of taking it off the market. I have the older version, it works great except for the battery door...
07-19-2020, 04:26 PM   #13
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks very much Des, for your time, and, as usual, for your clear and useful suggestions. .. .That Hoverfly shot is spectacular.
Thanks Peter. Happy to help.
I have been wondering about different ways of using a flash off to the side for macro shots: hand-held, brackets in the bottom of the camera, etc. Or head-on, but with filter or diffusor.
I've tried each of these methods. Each can work, depending on the situation. When you are very very close to the subject, the beam from a flash in the hotshoe will be at a reasonable angle from the lens (useful to get a flash that can tilt downwards a bit). Some of the macro gurus around here even get good results from the popup flash with a Pringles can diffuser or something similar. But having the flash off-camera is a particular advantage when you are further away from the subject - e.g. for flower shots like this:

Even with a diffuser, I doubt that the result would have been as good with the flash on-camera.

Holding the camera one-handed and the flash in the other (like the two samples in my previous post) isn't ideal, but it can work. If you have an assistant you can get them to hold the flash for you, but otherwise a "magic arm" is useful. Cheap too. I have an L-bracket that screws into the camera's tripod thread (like this Dual L-Shaped Camera Flash Bracket Holder Hot Shoe Mount For Speedlite DSLR Cam | eBay) and a flexible arm that screws into the bracket (New 7" Friction Articulating Magic Arm For DSLR Rig LED Light LCD Monitor Hot 881800735770 | eBay). The flexible arm has a coldshoe to mount the flash. I can trigger the flash wirelessly, although it might be possible to use a cord. A lightweight diffuser for the flash helps too (e.g. Neewer 8"×12" Photo Studio Collapsible Softbox Speedlite Flash Light Diffuser 808023172472 | eBay)
I have the Vanguard Pro Alta 2+ 263 AP tripod which has an accessory thread for attachments, and have wondered where I could get something that would screw into that and hold a flash led light. Not found anything specifically designed for use with this feature of the tripod. Will keep googling!!
Maybe some kind of arm or bracket to screw into the socket on the tripod?
The Godox sounds great value for the price. ... It now seems a toss-up between the Godox TT350P recommended by Des, or the Metz M400. The latter, although dearer, has the extra "video" light, which is what appealed to me about the Pentax 360. Not sure if I would ever really use it, though, as extra light for extra illumination instead of the flash for subjects in poor light??I don't really do portraiture - mainly flowers, birds, insects, occasional scenery/landscapes, and it would be the insect macros that I will probably most use the flash for, apart from the odd family indoor gathering "snap-shots".
The M400 looks like a well-made and well-featured flash. The video light might be useful sometimes, although perhaps an LED headtorch would do just as well!

If you were going to use the M400 off-camera, you would need to use either:
- the flash in servo mode, triggered by the controller in the camera (I think the K-50 has a master and controller function, as the K-30 did?). You would not have PTTL or HSS in this mode, I think. (Others will correct me if I am wrong about this)
- a cord from the hotshoe to the flash
- a pair of wireless transceivers (manual ones are cheap; PTTL ones are expensive)
For similar or less money you could get two Godox TT350P units, or one TT350P and a Godox trigger, which would be more versatile.

The other big plus for the Godox is that the head tilts as well as swivels. For "the odd family indoor gathering" (we have an odd family too :)), tilt and swivel is very useful as it allows you to bounce the flash off the walls and ceiling. A tilt-only flash like the M400 seems to be is more limiting.Edit: It seems the M400 does have a tilt-and-swivel head (even though it isn't mentioned in the feature list on the Metz site!).

At only 220g (without batteries) the M400 is almost as lightweight as the Godox TT350P (200g). The weight difference increases when you add batteries (4 x AA for the M400; 2 x AA for the Godox), but the extra batteries in the M400 would give it much faster recycle time and presumably a longer time between battery changes. I find the battery life and recycle time of the Godox adequate for my needs, although they might frustrate more demanding users. For me the light weight means I am more likely to carry the flash; I rarely use the hulking big Metz 58-AF1 now, unless I think I will need the extra power.

Last edited by Des; 07-21-2020 at 03:14 PM.
07-19-2020, 10:00 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

(I think the K-50 has a master and controller function, as the K-30 did?)
That's for P-TTL with the "wireless" pre-flash, the ratio between master (the built-in flash) and the slave (another flash that is P-TTL compatible) is fixed on the K-30/K-50, I believe it is variable on the K-3. I have no idea what the KP supports. Having the built-in flash provide 2/3 of the flash power is pointless in my opinion. Servo mode is dumb triggering whenever a flash of light (from any source) is detected by the flash. The M400 can do both, but servo mode will not work with P-TTL or HSS or anything where the camera controls the flash.
a cord from the hotshoe to the flash
You need 3 pieces (the hot shoe adapter, the cord and the adapter at the flash) to make this work and I'm not sure about availability of Pentax compatible pieces. If you aren't going to use P-TTL, then I would recommend a cheap radio transmitter and receiver for less than $30 in total. I have a Metz 52 AF-1 and highly recommend it; I've wasted several hours trying to find a scenario where the built-in flash is useful and failed.
07-19-2020, 10:48 PM   #15
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for your comments and corrections @RGlasel.
QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
You need 3 pieces (the hot shoe adapter, the cord and the adapter at the flash) to make this work and I'm not sure about availability of Pentax compatible pieces.
I used to have one of these: TTL Off Camera Flash Cords maintains all on-camera functions (inc. TTL) for PENTAX Speedlite off-camera - JJC When the flash was connected to the hotshoe with this cable, using it was practically the same as if the flash were mounted in the hotshoe (e.g. PTTL worked fine). But of course if the flash is only being used in manual mode a cheap wireless trigger would be less cumbersome and the flash could be placed further away from the camera.
I have a Metz 52 AF-1 and highly recommend it
I have a Metz 58 AF-1 and it's also a very capable unit (albeit rather heavy, like all of the GN50 plus flashes). The better Metz flash units like these also allow for firmware updates. I find the controls on the Godox simpler and easier to use than those on the Metz, but it seems that Metz have tried to improve the interface with the M400.
I've wasted several hours trying to find a scenario where the built-in flash is useful and failed.
Here's some:
1. For fill when there is nothing else available.
2. For macro with a home-made snoot. (I haven't tried this but there are several threads about it.)
3. I have used the popup flash on the K-3 successfully with a Rogue Safari flash extender for a cheap lightweight wildlife option. (See this thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/22-pentax-camera-field-accessories/25628...-extender.html)
4. To trigger an off-camera flash. (I haven't tried this either but many users seem to have done so successfully.)

Last edited by Des; 07-20-2020 at 06:38 PM.