Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2008, 07:06 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Macro flash rings???

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Looking for some advice and pricing on a flash ring.
The catch is I don't want to spend too much money.
Is there any good flash rings for around $100 US?
Whats compatable with the K10D?
Winter time is setting in and I think I will concentrate a bit on macro to keep busy.
I don't have any other flash other than the one on the body. Should I get a flash to use as slave also? Any tips for this type of photograhpy would be greatly appreciated. I need to keep this inexpensive.
Thanks all,
Oren

11-07-2008, 07:45 AM   #2
Forum Member

I would be surprised if there are any ring flash units available at that price. They are usually in excess of £250 Sterling (which probably means the same in dollars) if they are to work with the pTTL flash on the K10D. Pentax have just announced a ring flash for the K10/K20 but its price in the UK is above £300 - a Sigma one has also been announced to work with the K10D - price unknown. Some people make flash brackets on which they can mount a couple of cheap flashguns either side of the lens - but this would mean manual calculations. The Pentax flashes that fit the K10D, the 360 and 540, both have a -10° downward tilt setting which is designed for use in macro. However, you may have to reduce the flash output to avoid overexposure if close to the subject. The 360 may be available near $100 - it is about £150 in the UK. Prices in US are often considerably less than UK!

John
11-07-2008, 07:58 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply brownargus,
Am asking for a miracle?
The pricing was a concern and thats why I asked the question. I was just hoping I was overlooking something.
I would go with the 360 if that would do it but I thought that it wouldn't put the light where I needed it. That would kill two birds with one stone so to speak if it did work for macro.
Can anyone share their use of the 360 with macro work and possible tips?
I really have no experience using flash other than the on board flash once in a while and that really doesn't work with macro well.
11-07-2008, 08:36 AM   #4
Forum Member

It works quite well, but does not give such an even illumination as a ring flash would. It does, however, have the advantage of using the pTTL function to control the output and get well exposed images. I never had any luck with the flashes where you needed to use manual settings based of distance and f no. If I find a shot where I used it, I will post it.

John

11-07-2008, 08:55 AM   #5
Forum Member

I found the image below which illustrates the 360 flash use in macro mode. It was taken with a Sigma 105 macro lens. The background is eggboxes since it was in a moth trap! The insect was about 40 mm including antennae.

John
Attached Images

11-07-2008, 09:01 AM   #6
Forum Member

I note that Mindflux has posted a 360 for sale $140!

John
11-07-2008, 09:50 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are a few cheap solutions out there that use a LED ring rather than a flash. You can usually find them on eBay. There was also a user on this site that adapted a ring-shaped LED camping light (intended to hang in a small tent) that he found at Walmart. It might be worth a try.

Steve

11-07-2008, 10:00 AM   #8

IMX, the LED ringflash's available are rubbish and a waste of money (I've wasted my money). I use a Metx 48 to good effect for insect Macros with a Lumiquest diffuser attached.

For a cheap ringflash solution I also have a Starblitz 1000-Auto Macro-Lite for £50 from China on Ebay:

Sitona lepidus (a Pea Weevil) on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

However, unless you only want to use f5.6 (for Auto mode) you have to settle on full power as it isn't TTL and use manual expose. For macro, this basically means adjusting the f-stop according to the distance from the subject as speed is set at 180/s using the x-sync port on the K20D.
11-07-2008, 12:07 PM   #9
Syb
Veteran Member

I have a Metz 32MZ3 off camera. Attached so that there is some shadow in the picture.

I tried a cheap Sunblitz 6000i ring flash too, but it just didn't work well. Neither with my k10d nor Ds, nor with the Alpha700 of my friend. Too bad!
11-08-2008, 05:53 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks all for your responses,

brownargus, thanks for the photo you posted. Looks to me the 360 works fine there. I have the Sigma 105 also.

Steve, I'm not sure about the led lights. Have you used them your self. I do appreciate the suggestion though because I did state that I wanted somethng inexpensive and for a few dollars this might work fairly well.

chirpy, I'll do a little more research on the Starblitz 1000-Auto Macro-Lite, thanks for the photo.

Syb, thanks for the photo. Thanks for the info on the sunblitz 6000.

I really could use a flash. I guess starting with something like the 360 that I could get duel use of is problably the way to go. Its easy to set up off camera isn't it?

Would something like this work . I don't reallly understand the difference of p-ttl and ttl. As I said I really have no knowledge using flash so pardon my ignorance.
Promaster FTD 5500 electronic Flash unit for Pentax AF - eBay (item 190263588811 end time Nov-09-08 14:35:00 PST)

Last edited by OrenMc; 11-08-2008 at 06:54 AM.
11-08-2008, 08:09 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by OrenMc Quote
Would something like this work . I don't reallly understand the difference of p-ttl and ttl. As I said I really have no knowledge using flash so pardon my ignorance.
Promaster FTD 5500 electronic Flash unit for Pentax AF - eBay (item 190263588811 end time Nov-09-08 14:35:00 PST)
AFAICS, it only supports TTL and not P-TTL and so would not with the current Pentax DSLRs as a TTL flash. It may well work in auto-mode but that may limit it's effectiveness.

For an all-around flash, I'd personally recommend the Metz 48-AF1 over the Penatx 360.
11-08-2008, 10:21 AM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Steve, I'm not sure about the led lights. Have you used them your self. I do appreciate the suggestion though because I did state that I wanted somethng inexpensive and for a few dollars this might work fairly well.
I have not used the LED solution, but am thinking that the do-it-yourself solution might be worth a try. I have a Walmart and a Joe's Sports and Auto not far from my home. One of the two would likely have the camping light. In terms of plus/minus on the LED ring, this is what I would expect:

Pro:
  • Less expensive
  • Good as supplemental light
  • Seamless integration with the camera's meter

Con:
  • Not as powerful as flash
  • Loss of the "stop motion" feature of flash

Steve
11-10-2008, 04:57 AM   #13
Forum Member

I don't reallly understand the difference of p-ttl and ttl. As I said I really have no knowledge using flash so pardon my ignorance.
TTL doesn't work with the new K series DSLRs which have the more sophisticated P-TTL. The difference is that the flash pre-fires before the main discharge, using the pre-flash to assess exposure settings using the 16-segment metering allowing more precise control of exposure.
John
11-10-2008, 05:19 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Gadget Infinity*::*Digital Camera*::*Flash*::*Wirelessly Triggered Macro Twin Flash Combo for DSLR / SLR
11-15-2008, 07:16 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by chirpy Quote
For an all-around flash, I'd personally recommend the Metz 48-AF1 over the Penatx 360.
Why is that?
I just found a used one of these locally for $149 ( Metz 48-AF1 ). Is this a fair deal?