Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-21-2020, 09:05 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Neewer Vision 5 Strobe??

Anyone used the Neewer Vision 5? It seems like a very good bang for buck, but I'm curious if anyone has used it on a Pentax....particularly the HSS functions

09-22-2020, 02:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I doubt P-TTL (and hence HSS) would work directly. So far they only seem to do Canon or Nikon support.

BTW, here's a link to the Nikon model, for info.
Neewer Vision 5 (Nikon)

Probably better off using something from Godox or Flashpoint.
09-26-2020, 06:12 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I doubt P-TTL (and hence HSS) would work directly. So far they only seem to do Canon or Nikon support.

BTW, here's a link to the Nikon model, for info.
Neewer Vision 5 (Nikon)

Probably better off using something from Godox or Flashpoint.

I need didn't think I needed TTL for HSS
09-26-2020, 07:30 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Leumas Quote
I believe that for HSS on Pentax to work reliably, you need hardware that can talk the P-TTL flash protocol - directly or indirectly (eg via a pass-through product like a Cactus v6 trigger).

09-27-2020, 12:03 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

HSS is a P-TTL-feature on Pentax, hence hardware supporting HSS needs to support at least part of the P-TTL protocol.

This doesn't imply that automatic flash metering or other P-TTL features will be supported as well.

The Cactus V6 II, for instance, supports HSS on Pentax without supporting any other P-TTL feature on a certain firmware variant.

Another firmware variant for the Cactus V6 II supports many more P-TTL features (personally, I never made friends with that variant, though).

@rawr You probably meant to write "Cactus V6 II" instead of "Cactus v6". The latter does not support HSS.
09-27-2020, 11:02 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
HSS is a P-TTL-feature on Pentax, hence hardware supporting HSS needs to support at least part of the P-TTL protocol.

This doesn't imply that automatic flash metering or other P-TTL features will be supported as well.

The Cactus V6 II, for instance, supports HSS on Pentax without supporting any other P-TTL feature on a certain firmware variant.

Another firmware variant for the Cactus V6 II supports many more P-TTL features (personally, I never made friends with that variant, though).

@rawr You probably meant to write "Cactus V6 II" instead of "Cactus v6". The latter does not support HSS.

Damn...

Thanks for the info. So Godox is all we got for affordable HSS it seems
09-27-2020, 11:22 PM   #7
Veteran Member

So Godox is all we got for affordable HSS it seems
Depending what sort of flash you want. If you want on-camera speedlight HSS on Pentax there's Pentax, Metz, Godox TT350P, Godox V860II (F/O/C with firmware update and X system trigger), and Shanny flashes you can buy. If you want monolights there's Priolite, GoDox/Flashpoint, maybe a few others I've forgotten about.

And using Cactus v6 II you can mix up a system using a variety of other third-party flashes too that Cactus v6 II triggers may support - and which may allow HSS. (But I'm not a Cactus expert).

Last edited by rawr; 09-27-2020 at 11:37 PM.
09-28-2020, 02:34 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
And using Cactus v6 II you can mix up a system using a variety of other third-party flashes too that Cactus v6 II triggers may support...
This works well for compatible speedlights.

For higher-powered strobes one has to rely on the strobe being able to engage HSS manually and there won't be any remote power-level control.

There are strobes with built-in Cactus triggers, e.g., the Hensel Certo but inexplicably these don't support remote power control either because they are based on the older V5 trigger system.