Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
10-01-2020, 08:45 AM   #1

Question about vivitar 285 zoom thyristor flash

I just got a vivitar 285 zoom thyristor flash (Not 285hv). Can I use it on K1 Mark2? I am not sure if it is high volt or low volt.

I also want to use transmitter on this flash. Is it possibly? For example this one (amazon.com : Neewer 16 Channel Wireless Remote FM Flash Speedlite Radio Trigger with 2.5mm PC Receiver for Flash Units with Universal Hot Shoe : Camera Flash Synch Cords : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&). It says "Vivitar 285HV (Older Vivitar 285/283 works only with PC sync);" I am not sure how it works actually.

Thanks.

10-01-2020, 09:40 AM - 1 Like   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ssssss Quote
Can I use it on K1 Mark2? I am not sure if it is high volt or low volt.
Assuming this is the original vintage version, the short answer is no, not without a voltage reducing adapter (e.g. SafeSync or similar). Trigger voltage is probably in the 300V range. This applies to both hot shoe and PC sync.

As for use with a wireless trigger, it depends on the trigger. Some brands have built-in high voltage protection; my Yongnuo RF603N II, for example, are safe with my Vivitar 283 (same innards as the 285).

Addendum:

I have had very good luck with the RF603N II and can recommend without reservation. The RF603 is sold in a two pack with either Nikon or Canon compatible hot shoe/foot compatibility. The Nikon version (RF603N II) has better compatibility with Pentax cameras and dedicated flash. The Nikon version comes packaged with one of three different remote shutter cables specific to Nikon cameras, none of which work with Pentax, but a Pentax-compatible cable is cheap and readily available if you want to use it as a RF remote release. FWIW, these can also serve as transmitter to fire current-model Yonguo flash.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1096385-REG/yongnuo_rf_603ii_n3_rf_60...ess_flash.html

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-01-2020 at 10:09 AM. Reason: clarity
10-01-2020, 10:03 AM - 2 Likes   #3

My 285 bought new in mid-80s measures out at ~6 volts.

Mostly it seems the problem is with earlier manufactured models. The only way to be sure is to measure the trigger voltage.
10-01-2020, 10:06 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
+1 What Steve said ^^^

I recently asked my local camera repair guru (a very senior and experienced fellow whom I trust) whether I could get that same Vivitar 285 to work on a K5ii. His answer was a categorical "NO WAY! Don't ever do that. It could permanently and irreversibly destroy the electronics in the camera."

Steve's advice of a voltage reducer is spot on.

10-01-2020, 10:12 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Assuming this is the original vintage version, the short answer is no, not without a voltage reducing adapter (e.g. SafeSync or similar). Trigger voltage is probably in the 300V range. This applies to both hot shoe and PC sync.

As for use with a wireless trigger, it depends on the trigger. Some brands have built-in high voltage protection; my Yongnuo RF603N II, for example, are safe with my Vivitar 283 (same innards as the 285).

Addendum:

I have had very good luck with the RF603N II and can recommend without reservation. The RF603 is sold in a two pack with either Nikon or Canon compatible hot shoe/foot compatibility. The Nikon version (RF603N II) has better compatibility with Pentax cameras and dedicated flash. The Nikon version comes packaged with one of three different remote shutter cables specific to Nikon cameras, none of which work with Pentax, but a Pentax-compatible cable is cheap and readily available if you want to use it as a RF remote release. FWIW, these can also serve as transmitter to fire current-model Yonguo flash.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1096385-REG/yongnuo_rf_603ii_n3_rf_60...981&

Steve

Thanks Steve,

Is there a Pentax-compatible cable link I can check? I do not know what it looks like. Thank you.
10-01-2020, 10:29 AM - 1 Like   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Thanks Steve,

Is there a Pentax-compatible cable link I can check? I do not know what it looks like. Thank you.
The cable is only needed if you want to use the RF603 as a remote shutter release. Here is a link to the cable I have that is also compatible with your K-1.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017O8717U/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_...ntaxforums-20&

Steve
10-01-2020, 10:50 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
The only way to be sure is to measure the trigger voltage.
Yep...

Apparently Vivitar made some changes to the circuitry on the 283/285 sometime in the mid-1980s with later units measuring in the 6V to 8V range. Unless checked, a high voltage should be assumed. My MIJ 283 weighs in at 270V.

Steve

10-01-2020, 11:09 AM   #8

Original Poster
The cable is only needed if you want to use the RF603 as a remote shutter release. Here is a link to the cable I have that is also compatible with your K-1.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017O8717U/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_...ntaxforums-20&

Steve
Hi Steve,

Thanks again. I have another question (Sorry, I am learning ). Do I use this cable between two triggers or I use it between the trigger and camera body?
10-01-2020, 11:49 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

10-01-2020, 01:02 PM - 1 Like   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Hi Steve,

Thanks again. I have another question (Sorry, I am learning ). Do I use this cable between two triggers or I use it between the trigger and camera body?
It goes between an RF603 II and the wired remote fitting on your K-1. Shutter release is accomplished by pressing the button on the hard-wired RF603 II or wireless from a second RF603 II. Half-press to wake the camera is supported.

Steve
10-01-2020, 01:17 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

I own one vintage Vivitar 285 and several 283, all are high voltage flashs (about 250V) so a 285 would kill your DSLR.
You can use your 285 in wireless mode but not on the hot shoe and even not wired through a PC sync wire.

These flashs are very interesting because you can modify them in order to replace the removable light cell by a potentiometer, then you get a studio flash that you can calibrate:

10-01-2020, 01:19 PM - 1 Like   #12

Here's a very quick and dirty video of the trigger voltage on mine. Using Eneloops so voltage is under 6 volts. As I recall the unit had one of those gold stickers on it so it may have been made in Japan. I still have the warranty card and maybe even the receipt so I could look up the purchase date.

10-01-2020, 02:37 PM   #13

Original Poster
Here's a very quick and dirty video of the trigger voltage on mine. Using Eneloops so voltage is under 6 volts. As I recall the unit had one of those gold stickers on it so it may have been made in Japan. I still have the warranty card and maybe even the receipt so I could look up the purchase date.

v285 - YouTube
Thanks. My copy is made in Japan as well.
10-01-2020, 02:39 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

As I recall the unit had one of those gold stickers on it so it may have been made in Japan.
I think the MIJ mark is pressed into the plastic on the bottom directly beneath the sensor. At least that is where it is on my flash.

Steve
10-01-2020, 02:44 PM   #15

I think the MIJ mark is pressed into the plastic on the bottom directly beneath the sensor. At least that is where it is on my flash.
Yeah, on the bottom of my unit under the sensor is "Made in Japan" in a recessed area.