Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
10-15-2020, 09:12 PM - 6 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Scored an AF160FC Ring Flash

I'm really happy this week. I found a used AF160FC on Amazon Japan. They wouldn't ship to Hong Kong (or anywhere outside of Japan, I think), but I found an enterprising outfit in Japan that purchases goods from Japanese e-tailers and ships them wherever you are (for a fee, of course). The flash arrived yesterday and it has all the parts, is in great condition and works perfectly. I've been using an AF080C for a number of years and have gotten some great photos with it. I typically set it for 1/4 power and manually set ISO, shutter and aperture. I got to where I could anticipate correct settings fairly quickly, but now I can choose an aperture and go. Also, the AF160FC has modeling lights, which makes it easy to focus on bugs in the dark (much easier than trying to hold a flashlight or twist the camera so your headlamp will illuminate whatever you're trying to focus on. Now I need to find something to take pictures of!

10-21-2020, 11:08 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Can these two flashes be remotely controlled by other models or must they be wired to the camera all the time?

Sidenote: wow another Pentaxian from HK!
11-07-2020, 11:13 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nosliwmit Quote
I'm really happy this week. I found a used AF160FC on Amazon Japan. They wouldn't ship to Hong Kong (or anywhere outside of Japan, I think), but I found an enterprising outfit in Japan that purchases goods from Japanese e-tailers and ships them wherever you are (for a fee, of course). The flash arrived yesterday and it has all the parts, is in great condition and works perfectly. I've been using an AF080C for a number of years and have gotten some great photos with it. I typically set it for 1/4 power and manually set ISO, shutter and aperture. I got to where I could anticipate correct settings fairly quickly, but now I can choose an aperture and go. Also, the AF160FC has modeling lights, which makes it easy to focus on bugs in the dark (much easier than trying to hold a flashlight or twist the camera so your headlamp will illuminate whatever you're trying to focus on. Now I need to find something to take pictures of!
I also just received an AF160FC flash. It is beautifully made. I was a little surprised at the size of the case everything fits into. It's huge. The DFA 100 adapter is an amazing item. I will be using this on the K-1 and 645Z.

---------- Post added 11-08-20 at 12:19 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by someasiancameraguy Quote
Can these two flashes be remotely controlled by other models or must they be wired to the camera all the time?

There's a big cable connecting the controller and ring flash. It can't be fired wirelessly. Can't wait to use it.

Thanks,
barondla
11-08-2020, 03:35 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
I also just received an AF160FC flash. It is beautifully made. I was a little surprised at the size of the case everything fits into. It's huge. The DFA 100 adapter is an amazing item. I will be using this on the K-1 and 645Z.

---------- Post added 11-08-20 at 12:19 AM ----------

There's a big cable connecting the controller and ring flash. It can't be fired wirelessly. Can't wait to use it.

Thanks,
barondla
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
I saw the AF160FC come up on the marketplace a couple of weeks ago and wasn't surprised it got snapped up quickly. You got yours a bit cheaper than I got mine but I'm happy. I'm using it a lot and have gotten some great photos already.

Happy hunting!

These guys don't sit still very long so TTL saved me. I would never have gotten there with trial and error on the AF080C:

---------- Post added 11-08-20 at 05:41 AM ----------

By the way, pkboy is another new member on these forums who is in Hong Kong. So there are at least three of us now!

11-08-2020, 07:32 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I thought the point of a ring flash was to shoot through the centre of the ring so the shot was shadowless. I'm struggling to imagine why you would need to trigger it remotly from the camera.
11-09-2020, 05:34 AM   #6
Veteran Member

A ring flash greatly improved my macro photos. I have the Sunpak DX-8R.
11-10-2020, 07:51 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nosliwmit Quote
I saw the AF160FC come up on the marketplace a couple of weeks ago and wasn't surprised it got snapped up quickly. You got yours a bit cheaper than I got mine but I'm happy. I'm using it a lot and have gotten some great photos already.

Happy hunting!

These guys don't sit still very long so TTL saved me. I would never have gotten there with trial and error on the AF080C:

---------- Post added 11-08-20 at 05:41 AM ----------

By the way, pkboy is another new member on these forums who is in Hong Kong. So there are at least three of us now!
Amazing image! Love the colors and sharpness. Well done.

Had a chance to play with the AF160FC last night. It allowed me to get some shots that have always been a challenge. 1 hour in and I was getting some of my best macro flash shots ever. I'm very happy.

Thanks for sharing,
barondla